Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Common Sense
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, My 04R1 has about 200mi. on it now and the clutch is acting kinda weird. Whenever I'm cruisin along and decide to pull in the clutch lever to coast to a stop, the engine rpm's stay up with the speed of the bike (as in not pullin in the clutch). Once the bike is stopped or close to it, it feels like the clutch disengages and all is normal again. It does this more when it's cold and lessens when she's warmed up. I'm pretty sure the clutch is dragging. I've adjusted the adjustment screw on the lever so there's no slack in it but it still does it. I'm just wondering if this might be because it's new or is it a Yamaha thing?

K

·
0 Posts
shouldnt you have some slack , because if there is no slack then there is tension on the clutch. not that that would make it stick like that, but you shoukd have play on the throttle cable

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
TAKE IT BACK!!!
Its probably just a vacuum leak cause of a loose or disconnected hose or something minor like that. don't try to figure it out yourself if you only got 200 miles on it. Just use your warrantee and let the dealership figure it out. That way if the problem don't go away its their fault.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Clutch Problem

You should have some slack or the clutch will ultimately end up slipping and wreck the plates... however, have you tried pulling the clutch in and reving it while it should be free wheeling? If it picks up speed you have a problem... if not then it shouldn't be an issue. Also, have you changed the oil? Different grade oils can play havvock with clutches....

·
No Common Sense
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... the clutch lever set from the dealer had about 3-4 mm of play in it, i've adjusted it so that there barely has any play to disengage the clutch more. It is not so tight as to where there is no play in the lever. I also changed oil today. Went to the dealer, bought 10-30 yamalube, filter and new drain plug gasket. Did everything right, the clutch was doing this before the oil change. Guess I'll try to break her in alittle more to see if the problem goes away, if not then i'll bring her back = ( Thanks guys.

·
An R1 a day keeps Dr. away
185 Posts
Mine does the same thing, The clutch seems to stay engaged for about 2-3 secs. after I grab the lever.

:no

·
Backin it in at a track near u
296 Posts
could be the RPM's staying "Up" to help warm the bike up quicker... other than that I don't know?

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
285 Posts
Nah... It's definetly the clutch sticking... When you try and shift, it's real dif***ult since the clutch is still engaged (Even if the lever is pulled in) And the RPM's stay w/ the bike still carrying you... Let's say, you're in 1st, and you're coming to a stop... You pull in the clutch lever, and your bike keeps going at the same speed as if your clutch is still engaged... It's really not very safe... In addition, if you rev the engine to get it to "unstick," you'll feel the bike kinda pop forward a little as it comes loose...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts