Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 r1 with 10k+ miles on it. It has been draining my batteries left and right and I just switched to a lithium ion brand new out of the box fully charged and within 15 min and a few start and stops, I try to crank it and it just doesn't have the juice anymore. So I was wondering what are the main issues to look for with battery draining? I've changed the whole charging system, stator, flywheel, voltage regulator, and changed solenoid out. Also wondering if it's a bad wiring harness? Or if there's a short somewhere possibly? Or I didn't know if a bad starter would potentially cause any problems with this either? It's getting a little frustrating and didn't know if anyone has any insight or things to look for cause I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

· Registered
1998 4xv
150 Posts
Grab yourself a multimeter connect it to your battery terminals under the seat read the voltage then start her up she should at least be putting out 13.5v once running if this is the case you know it’s charging,if your multimeter doesn’t change once running you must have a break in a wire after replacing all the charging system surely it’s the only thing left

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
117 Posts
speaking of mm diag. while your bike is off you can do a voltage drop test to see if there is current going through the system, i cant remember how since i always use a "amp clamp" they are wonderful tools, that check for current flow without disrupting the system... just wrap it around a wire and it tells you the current flow.

besides that, i'd guess its an instrument cluster issue. if you pull that out your bike might not die

1 - 4 of 4 Posts