Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I noticed the right exhaust can was further away from the bike than the left one. Since I'm OCD, I decided to wiggly the right one and I was indeed able to move it closer to the brake light by about an inch or more to line it up. I was amazed by how easily it was moved, so I decided to wiggle the left one and I was able to move it in a little over an inch which cause it to touch the inner fairing! So I moved it back.

I am a little concerned that it will melt my inner fairing while riding. Is there a bracket or a spacer I can get to hold the cans in place!?

Its for the Akrapovic carbon exhaust system. I can post pics if needed.

I tried looking for it online, all I found were exhaust hangers?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Brackets-2000-2005/dp/B006H817F6[/ame]

Would that do the trick?

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there are rubber hangers around each can. Maybe the bolt to the subframe is loose or fell out!?

I just got the bike like 10 hours ago and its my first one with an under-tail exhaust. Do I remove the rear upper fairing to get to them? I'm going helmet shopping right now but when I'm back I'm going to tackle this issue. Hopefully pretty simple.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
Yes, there are rubber hangers around each can. Maybe the bolt to the subframe is loose or fell out!?

I just got the bike like 10 hours ago and its my first one with an under-tail exhaust. Do I remove the rear upper fairing to get to them? I'm going helmet shopping right now but when I'm back I'm going to tackle this issue. Hopefully pretty simple.

Yeah just need to remove seats and upper tail fairing and they are under there.

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,237 Posts
I do know of a couple guys with '04-06 bikes and their aftermarket slipons have a little bit of "wiggle room..." They had spring attachments, not barrel clamps.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, the shops around here are charging $100-200 more for helmets than what I can get them online for lol so online it is!

I just looked at the exhaust clamps and they seem to have a rubber washer that is flexible to move. Will it be stiff if I tighten the bolts down really tight? Or will they still flex?

Regarding the left exhaust can, it moves very easily and I see that where its connected to the Y pipe is where it moves... It has 2 springs that hold both on the Y pipe and the right one doesn't move, but the left one moves easily..

Is there a way to fix that?

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been thinking about it but I'm not coming up with a way to fix it except for welding the pipe to the Y pipe. -_-

Anyone have any input?

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anything shim inside the rubber.

Did you try to tighten the exhaust hangers down?
I have not yet.

I literally drove around for 5 hours trying to find a helmet. My last stop was Yamaha so I decided to pick up oil, filter, and crush washer.

When I came home I did an oil change and oh my.. I can't believe they make it more difficult to change the oil than the R6 (but I do like the fairing bolts better).. I also tried to get to the front sprocket to clean it but I couldn't even remove the upper bolt for the cover because of the shifter arm was in the way. -_- So I cleaned other areas as much as I could because I'm OCD and now she's pretty clean (minus the front sprocket area).

I added 3 qrts of oil and it seems like its a little over the full line on the glass. -_-

If I have time tomorrow I may take off the seats and the back upper fairing so I can tighten down the bolts and I may try to add a shim to the rubber so its tighter if needed. BUT, I noticed some of the push pins are broken, so I may wait until I get new ones to do it just in case.

Any good place to get push pins online other than bikebandit where they charge like 2 bucks a pin? lol

I'll post pics when I'm in there.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve's shop usually has them on the wall (Superbike and Ski). If you don't know him he's an awesome ex-racer with tons of stories, if you're into that.
LOL, I went there today... CLOSED ON THE WEEKENDS. -_- and Cycle Gear next door is a mattress store now.

What city do you live in? Do you ride on the street or track only?

· WOG
6,093 Posts
Whenever I get a chance. Wherever I get the chance. I haven't been to the track in going on 2 years now. But plan on hitting it hard this year. I live out in nowhere by the orange groves in Lehigh.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn man. Well if you're ever down to ride, give me about 1-2 weeks for all my gear to come in and I'll be ready. What bike do you ride?

I live in the Sarasota area, but currently living in Englewood for a few months. I'm always down to ride! :D

I noticed in your area today that there were a ton of love bugs! :eek:

I plan on starting to track at Jennings as soon as I get a job offer. -_-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.