Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Catch me........if you can!!!
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered by quite a few of you on this site already. but since new products seem to pop out everyday, i was wondering which is the best and easiest taillight integrator to install on my new bike? i'm not concerned about price. i would happily pay for something that is of higher quality, as long as it is really higher quality and not the manufacturer just blowing smoke up my ass. i'm also looking for something that is easy to install since i don't want to tear up my new bike.
i've seen the taillight integrators on fendereliminators.com and wondered which brand that was?
i've also read that a few of you mention the custom led brand and the ufo brand?
can you guys help clarify all of the various brands for me and which one you would recommend?

·
NO TITLE NEEDED.
571 Posts
Clear alternatives tail light integrator comes ready to plug in. I have one on my bike. The exterior quality looks identical to stock and it works great. I have had it for a few months problem free.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is this unit REALLY as easy as they claim it is to hook up? i've read various opinions on this forum alone that say the instructions are crap and the wiring is not as easy.
also, is the unit as bright as they claim it is....meaning is is much brighter than stock or about the same?

i'm willing to pay more for a vfxkit and even go through the more complicated installation process, as long as the payoff of a brighter taillight is the end result.

·
NO TITLE NEEDED.
571 Posts
You unplug the the old light, then plug in the new light. Then run the blinker wires to the new light and wire it up with the resistors if you want to slow down the blinking rate. I am not sure how bright it is compared to the stock ones but my friend has the stock light still so i will put mine next to his and do a comparison.

·
NO TITLE NEEDED.
571 Posts
Sorry for the delay but I thought I responded already. Anyways, the stock light is slightly brighter than the Clear alternatives light. The stock light is more of a splotchy brightness while the clear alternatives is more of a more even across the board red. In the end the difference is very very small.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for taking the time to respond.
i guess my next question is, would you still recommend getting the clear alternatives or perhaps something like the ufo kit instead? several people have mentioned on this site that they are much brighter, and when it comes to safety, isn't a brighter brake light better?

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
I also have the Clear Alternative tail light. It's a simple install, they even sell a plug in heavy duty turn signal flasher now if you don't want to deal with the resistors. I just bought one on e-bay for $13.50 so I can free up some space under my seat. The Clear Alternatives lights are on e-bay all the time for around $75.00

The quality is good, not as good as the custom led but you also don't have to take apart your stock tail light. The only difference I've seen is the yellow bleeds into the red a little bit when the signals are flashing but it's not bad. I did not want to take my stock light apart, that was my main reason for the direction I went. The Clear Alternative light was easy, cheap, works good and looks stock.. If I could have bought the Custom LED installed in a tail light that was plug and play, my choice may have been different. Check with Spiderman, they may sell them as a plug and play by now. I did mine months ago.. :beer

I'm pretty sure I have an old post of mine on here. Let me see if I can find the photos.

Also, I've been told by friends I ride with, in the day time the integrated signals are hard to see. I use hand signals to be safe.

·
NO TITLE NEEDED.
571 Posts
I don't know about the UFO or other kits but I would still recommend it still. It is so cheap and the difference is negligible. I was going to take a pic the day I breifly compared the two but we were in a hurry to ride so I put it off and forgot. I will try to get a few pics next time we meet up and post it up for you that way you can see for yourself and not just take someones word for it.

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
I can't find the photos I posted before.. Sounds like F16 will hook you up. You won't be disapointed with the Clear Alternative and it's priced right.:hellobye

·
My R1 Ate your R1
998 Posts
I have the fancy Greggs one. it is slightly brighter than the clear alternatives one but NOT worth it. Its barely a noticable difference and at well over 2x the price and hours worth of assembly, get the cheaper one...

HIde

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
HideOut said:
I have the fancy Greggs one. it is slightly brighter than the clear alternatives one but NOT worth it. Its barely a noticable difference and at well over 2x the price and hours worth of assembly, get the cheaper one...

HIde
Now there is a good honest opinion.. Good man!:thumbup

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
That's what I was looking for.. :thumbup

Ahhh.. the M4's, I kinda wish I would have kept them. Then again, I'm sure I'll be happy with my Yosh TRS that's on it's way.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
F16, 74Bones, and HideOut, thanks so much for taking the time to post to my question. I really appreciate all of your opinions and responses.

I'm assuming I can count on you guys for help if I have trouble with the install of the Clear Alternatives integrator?

Also, someone mentioned bypassing the resistors for a different item that is now being offered by Clear Alternatives? is that correct?
can someone explain a bit more about that please?

thanks again guys, you are all awesome.

·
Ride with confidence.
379 Posts
I finished installing the Clear Alternatives tail and Gregg's flushmounts for the front. I installed the Libertek flasher, and everything works perfect. If you install the Libertek on the X-brace beneath the seat latch rod (04-05), you can remove one of those X-brace bolts and have a perfect frame grounding point. The relay is up and out of the way from heat. Just make sure that you leave the adjustment screw back towards the tail in case you need to readjust the flash setting, you'll only need to take the seat/cowl off in the future for adjustments. I have a cowl and seat, and the clearance is fine with both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts