Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
45,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '05 seems to be having trouble shifting. I've done sevveral searches and have read all about the clutch problems, and soaking them in oil, etc....but mine seems alittle different than that. It seems to shift fine if I'm just cruising around, but when I get on it (about 75%) and shift at around 9000 rpm it doesn't want to go into 4th until I slow down and keep working at it. This morning right after it did that and I came to the next stop I couldn't get the bike down into neutral or first gear. The clutch was disengaged and I was sitting still, but I had to let the clutch out a little while in 3rd gear a couple of times then it would go down to second and finally neutral. WTF?

The bike has 1300 miles on it and has had one oil change at 500 miles. All of this happens when it is warmed up as well.
 

·
Fly or ride today??
Joined
·
730 Posts
Mine has similar problem. Doesnt shift into 3rd very well, shifter sticks. Just figured it was out of adjustment and would solvie it this winter. Downshifting it has to be moving or it gets stuck in gear. Mine has 2000 miles and has had 3 oil changes, 300 miles, 1000 miles and 1600 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Kmac said:
My '05 seems to be having trouble shifting. I've done sevveral searches and have read all about the clutch problems, and soaking them in oil, etc....but mine seems alittle different than that. It seems to shift fine if I'm just cruising around, but when I get on it (about 75%) and shift at around 9000 rpm it doesn't want to go into 4th until I slow down and keep working at it. This morning right after it did that and I came to the next stop I couldn't get the bike down into neutral or first gear. The clutch was disengaged and I was sitting still, but I had to let the clutch out a little while in 3rd gear a couple of times then it would go down to second and finally neutral. WTF?

The bike has 1300 miles on it and has had one oil change at 500 miles. All of this happens when it is warmed up as well.
Okay let me try to break it down for you....

"It seems to shift fine if I'm just cruising around, but when I get on it (about 75%) and shift at around 9000 rpm it doesn't want to go into 4th until I slow down and keep working at it."

Try preloading the shifter, blip the gas, and slight pull in the clutch. It's a modified version of the clutchless shift. What's important is to preload the shifter, so that it will slip into the next gear.

"The clutch was disengaged and I was sitting still, but I had to let the clutch out a little while in 3rd gear a couple of times then it would go down to second and finally neutral. WTF?"

This will always happen if you don't downshift while your bike is still in motion. The gears are in sequence... I'm not a technical guru so I'm not going to explain why... Someone else might want to chime in on this... Howvever you did do the right thing by what you did with the clutch.. It's the same principle when you try to move your bike in the garage and you want to find neutral and the damn thing just won't downshift. So what we normally do is rock the bike back in forth while in gear, then try to enagae the next gear....

I hope this makes sense... I'll try to find the article on motorcycle transmission and post it up...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
45,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify. I was downshifting while coming to a stop but it's like it was stuck and I had to stop before I got to neutral.

The upshifts are the one's that are worrying me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Kmac said:
Let me clarify. I was downshifting while coming to a stop but it's like it was stuck and I had to stop before I got to neutral.

The upshifts are the one's that are worrying me.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.... How were you downshifting??
Did you have the clutch in and holding it while down shifting to first? or did you let out the clutch each time you downshifted? There's a big diffrence in the two..

As for the up shift again try preloading the shifter... If all else fails then you probably have a bent fork in there.. and it needs to go back to the dealer.

I just hate to bring my bike into the dealership to find out nothing was wrong, but my technique... my 02cents
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
45,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem. I was downshifting by letting the clutch out between gears, but then it seemed like it was stuck so I held the clutch in while still rolling to work the gears down and it wouldn't do it. I had to stop before I could get the gears downshifted.

As for the upshifts I test rode it a few minutes ago and didn't have a single problem. I started trying to figure out what was going on and it appears that my new riding boots aren't as flexible as my old one's. I just did the test ride with my tennis shoes on and didn't have a problem, but with my new riding boots on I started having shift problems again, especially when I move back on the seat. Looks like I need to break them in a lot more to get the flexibility back. It seems like they are keeping me from lifting my foot far enough to shift all the way.

Doesn't explain the downshifts, though. But as this has only happened once I'll keep my eye on it and just see if it was a fluke.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Kmac said:
No problem. I was downshifting by letting the clutch out between gears, but then it seemed like it was stuck so I held the clutch in while still rolling to work the gears down and it wouldn't do it. I had to stop before I could get the gears downshifted.

As for the upshifts I test rode it a few minutes ago and didn't have a single problem. I started trying to figure out what was going on and it appears that my new riding boots aren't as flexible as my old one's. I just did the test ride with my tennis shoes on and didn't have a problem, but with my new riding boots on I started having shift problems again, especially when I move back on the seat. Looks like I need to break them in a lot more to get the flexibility back. It seems like they are keeping me from lifting my foot far enough to shift all the way.

Doesn't explain the downshifts, though. But as this has only happened once I'll keep my eye on it and just see if it was a fluke.

Thanks.
cool dude... You might want to try adjusting the the shift lever down abit more so you can get a more positive upshift while your boots break in...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top