Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
47,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '05 seems to be having trouble shifting. I've done sevveral searches and have read all about the clutch problems, and soaking them in oil, etc....but mine seems alittle different than that. It seems to shift fine if I'm just cruising around, but when I get on it (about 75%) and shift at around 9000 rpm it doesn't want to go into 4th until I slow down and keep working at it. This morning right after it did that and I came to the next stop I couldn't get the bike down into neutral or first gear. The clutch was disengaged and I was sitting still, but I had to let the clutch out a little while in 3rd gear a couple of times then it would go down to second and finally neutral. WTF?

The bike has 1300 miles on it and has had one oil change at 500 miles. All of this happens when it is warmed up as well.

· Premium Member
47,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify. I was downshifting while coming to a stop but it's like it was stuck and I had to stop before I got to neutral.

The upshifts are the one's that are worrying me.

· Premium Member
47,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem. I was downshifting by letting the clutch out between gears, but then it seemed like it was stuck so I held the clutch in while still rolling to work the gears down and it wouldn't do it. I had to stop before I could get the gears downshifted.

As for the upshifts I test rode it a few minutes ago and didn't have a single problem. I started trying to figure out what was going on and it appears that my new riding boots aren't as flexible as my old one's. I just did the test ride with my tennis shoes on and didn't have a problem, but with my new riding boots on I started having shift problems again, especially when I move back on the seat. Looks like I need to break them in a lot more to get the flexibility back. It seems like they are keeping me from lifting my foot far enough to shift all the way.

Doesn't explain the downshifts, though. But as this has only happened once I'll keep my eye on it and just see if it was a fluke.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.