Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the 4000 mile service done on my bike at the dealer, they said all they did was plugs, oil/filter, adjust chain, and throttle sync. I got the bike after the service and it now has no power. Prior to the service it would pick up the front wheel a foot high at bout 10500 rpm, now I can rap it all the way out and the wheel wont even leave the ground. WTF?! Only mod I got are GYTR slip-on. help... Engine runs fine, no misfires, no ck engine light it revs just as quickly as it always has.

Oh how can I get a Servic manual?

·
Home Track Qualified
893 Posts
If you just had the work performed, you should first have the dealer take a look at i, have a tech test ride it?

BTW My engine blew up without ever seeing a check engine light, it is not an OBDII system, not as smart as what is in your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course I took it back today. The service guy said it might b the weather, since its colder out it may b runing a lil lean. He said the ecu will not compensate for the cooler air with add'l fuel, he recommended I buy a power commander. I only have slip-ons, wtf?

·
Legitimate Business Man
118 Posts
Of course I took it back today. The service guy said it might b the weather, since its colder out it may b runing a lil lean. He said the ecu will not compensate for the cooler air with add'l fuel, he recommended I buy a power commander. I only have slip-ons, wtf?
It's got a air temp sensor in the filter box and the ecu will adjust for different outside temps.
Sounds like you should get a new mechanic who's not trying to sell you a PCIII.
Same fuel in the tank before and after service?, its spark plugs or whatever else he touched.
If you filled it up on the way home from the sevice may be bad fuel.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
lol it better be making MORE power with colder air...lol Thats how motors work.

OF COURSE the FI system can compensate for changes in tempature and altitude!! Thats one of the HUGE advantages of FI!!!

The guy that told you that was either a complete idiot, or was just trying to get rid of you.

I have worked in a few bike shops, and problems like yours are REALLY difficult to deal with. They don't know if it is just in your head , which is VERY possible, or if something is really wrong.

check the tire pressure (should be 36 frt and rear or right around there) check the chain tention, tight is REALLY bad, needs to be a bit loose, check the oil level(needs to be in the MIDDLE of the window with the bike straight up and down on a flat surface and having not run for at least 5 real actual minutes). these are common stumbling points.

Past that pull the plugs. Make sure they are the correct plugs for your application, and they are gapped correctly.

·
Boosted 05 R1
15 Posts
I've been working on a turbo kit for 2 years 05 r1 and have changed the plugs many times, NOT an easy job. Does the bike start good? Does the bike hang/ hessitate at a certain RPM if you slowly roll on the throttle in nuetral or when driving? Start the engine and use a sprayer and spray water on all the exh pipes to check for a dead, fouled, bad Spark plug, or inf red thermal gun. I,ve worked on sportbikes for over 10 years and have seen many easy simple mistakes by others, and myself were not perfect. Something as simple as not routing the crankcase breather tube back to the airbox can cause an excessively lean situation esp for cylinders 2 & 3, that will not set any code. I have learned that if you feel something is not right, even a little, you have to trust that feeling. A PC III will not fix the problem, and I would have a shop with a dyno install it if that is what you want. Find a shop that has experienced mechanic/s, ask questions, who is going to work on my bike? Let me know what you find, the rider CUSTOMER knows best. A dyno test may show a problem Low HP, but will cost, if your problem is significant you will see low #'s, Make sure again the dynotunner is experienced, and if using a gas analyzer (recommended) when was the last time the filter changed, Pump rebuilt? Goes back to who's doingthe job and with what knowledge / equipment. Sometimes THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE CHEAPEST SHOP. Sorry I get so upset with phone quiz and it starts out with how much $. I'm not saying you have to pay alot just make sure you will get what you are paying for. Not tune up for loss of power. Hope this helps let me know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of you, thanx. The service advisor at the Yamaha dealer told me this stuff about the ecu not compensating, which sounded like bull to me. I work for Acura and know a lil about fuel injection n air:fuel just not that experienced as to how the bikes work yet. I dropped it off Wednesday n he said he would call when they found something. The rpms dont hang or hesitate, it starts right up every time, no stumble while at idle- although it will hunt or surge for the correct idle speed at times. The advisor said the chain did seem a lil tight when I returned the bike. Looking forward to their reply tomorrow, hopefully. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's got a air temp sensor in the filter box and the ecu will adjust for different outside temps.
Sounds like you should get a new mechanic who's not trying to sell you a PCIII.
Same fuel in the tank before and after service?, its spark plugs or whatever else he touched.
If you filled it up on the way home from the sevice may be bad fuel.
I did after the service fill up but have gone through a couple tanks since then and the problem still exists. I always try to fill up at the same pump if possible but ALWAYS same brand.

·
Destroy what destroys you
361 Posts
Was there ever a resolution to this problem?
I actually called my dealer yesterday to have him check for any recalls on my '06 due to the RPM's surging and after riding for a while it hangs at a high idle.
He said no and suggested maybe it was bad fuel, but I eliminated that theory after I said it's been like this ever since I bought it new and only 3600 miles on it seemed to progressively get worse.
It's still warranteed but if it isn't a warranty issue I will have to foot the service bill....So I have to do process of elimination with all the suggestions on that subject from this forum.
I hope your dealer will really find your problem, I don't like when they don't know and just shoot something off the top of their head without thinking and sound really stupid, and think we are stupid enough to believe that.

Keep us updated.

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
Was there ever a resolution to this problem?
I actually called my dealer yesterday to have him check for any recalls on my '06 due to the RPM's surging and after riding for a while it hangs at a high idle.
He said no and suggested maybe it was bad fuel, but I eliminated that theory after I said it's been like this ever since I bought it new and only 3600 miles on it seemed to progressively get worse.
It's still warranteed but if it isn't a warranty issue I will have to foot the service bill....So I have to do process of elimination with all the suggestions on that subject from this forum.
I hope your dealer will really find your problem, I don't like when they don't know and just shoot something off the top of their head without thinking and sound really stupid, and think we are stupid enough to believe that.

Keep us updated.
your problem's easy, it's running lean. mine was like that straight out of the crate & my brothers was fine even though they were only 11 bikes apart on the assembly line.
easy fix get a pc111, you'll be amazed at the difference, well worth the 259.00.

·
Destroy what destroys you
361 Posts
your problem's easy, it's running lean. mine was like that straight out of the crate & my brothers was fine even though they were only 11 bikes apart on the assembly line.
easy fix get a pc111, you'll be amazed at the difference, well worth the 259.00.
I had the pcIII on my R6 and yes it does make a noticeabley smoother throttle response, but to correct this issue on the surging I figured had to be some other underlying issue other than correcting it with a pc.
Sorry to over take this post and go slightly off topic, but thank you for that quick analysis, If I don't sell it, i will grab a pc and see how it does......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.