Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 R1 knowing that it had a bad stator which is fine it was an easy fix and cheap and the engine ran just fine. I took it to a dealership to have them switch it out because the battery would die too quick for me to get back to my house I'd have to keep charging the battery so I have the Honda dealership switch it out and as they pulled the old one out as the Stators have a tendency to break into a bunch of pieces, the technician dropped one of the little plastic pieces that go behind the rotor, (the thing that actually spins around the stator) down into the engine where I guess the transmission and gears and everything is that piece is about the size and shape of a guitar pick that's about 3/8 of an inch thick. But they're telling me now that I have to pay to have some other shop tear apart the whole engine to get that piece out. I'm planning on taking them to small claims court or filing a lawsuit against them because if they dropped it in there they should get it out by my logic I guess. but if that doesn't all work out for me I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge on how invasive or difficult it would be to do myself or how much something like that would cost.

·
Lets go for a ride
553 Posts
It sounds like the stator was the stock one. That generation Yamaha stator had the magnets glued to the inside That's a big job, they'll have to take a part the bottom part of your engine. Labor alone will probably be $1200.00 if it damaged your crankshaft... another 1000.00 for a crankshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! Faced with same issue 3 times. Hope you will not get same experience bro. I bought chinese rotor last summer and forgot that problem forever (hope so hahaha). Here's an example -
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Dvd Spoke

As you can see the magnets are hidden cause of internal cartridge.

You mentioned "stator" but it cannot damage your engine as stock rotor, so you had better think again.✌

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,002 Posts
It's plastic, the oil strainer should catch it. I wouldn't worry too much.

If I were worried about it I'd get another oil pan gasket and take a dive in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's plastic, the oil strainer should catch it.
Unfortunately, oil strainer might also miss out a few pieces, made sure in that few times, really. So, it's better to change the rotor in advance in order to avoid engine bulkhead. I've already done that, so it's not a fairy tail bro.
Do hope it would be of great benefit for future R1 (04-06) owners. 🙏

Warm greetings from Russia, guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As was said above, order new oil strainer cover gasket(actually get a few of them as they need to be replaced every time you drop the pan) and drop the exhaust which should be 8 bolts if taken off from the header and then i believe around 12 or so bolts on the bottom of the oil pan. I have had this happen to me about a month after purchasing the bike, one fell in and then had to go fishing in the oil pan but it was sitting in there and NOT A $1200 JOB! Don't pay anyone to do something that you can do and let's be honest, with the help of the free service manual located on this forum and the ability to follow directions i believe you will be just fine. Literally took me 2 tools total.(I think a 12mm deep socket and the allen that removes pretty much everything on the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts