Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently brought an 06 R1, Everything seem fine with it. However, when riding it at 1-2 mph it makes a weird cunkling noise. It just isn't smooth, feels oddly off. Is this normal? everything is smooth and fine after 10 mph.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'd say it is normal for the bike to be a bit clunky at 1 - 2 MPH considering you could barely have the clutch engaged at that speed. It's designed to be smooth at 100 times that speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not normal. chain ok ,, lubed, look at sprockets ,, wheel lined up and secure gravel stuck in tire ? or screw
Chain was a bit loose, it's now adjusted and lubed. But i still feel it's like coming from the engine. I want to even say it clunks more when i'm riding slow cold, goes away a little bit when it warms up. Anyways, nothing too extreme, Valve adjustment maintenance coming up in about 4k. I'll see if it smooths out after.

I'd say it is normal for the bike to be a bit clunky at 1 - 2 MPH considering you could barely have the clutch engaged at that speed. It's designed to be smooth at 100 times that speed.
Hey, feels normal when i'm going fast right. Just don't ride slow there won't be no problems :nerd: lol thanks for yall's input

·
Registered
964 Posts
Most likely coming from the clutch. Especially since it improves when it gets warmer. Mine has a subtle chatter when cold. Clutch is also really grabby when cold. Smooths out when everything is warm (also have an 06). Is it really noticeable or are you maybe just looking for a problem where there isn’t one? No insult. Just the way I am sometimes...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
in first gear with he clutch out and it idling it should be about 12 mph. anything below 15-16mph would be a bit lurch and clunky because of the surging of the engine. a slight bit of throttle applied and it should smoothe it out. that can be helped a bit with a tuneup, valve adjustment and sync.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely coming from the clutch. Especially since it improves when it gets warmer. Mine has a subtle chatter when cold. Clutch is also really grabby when cold. Smooths out when everything is warm (also have an 06). Is it really noticeable or are you maybe just looking for a problem where there isn’t one? No insult. Just the way I am sometimes...
Subtle chatter sounds about right. I wasn't looking for a problem, it came to my attention last week trying to creep out the drive-way completely cold real slow to not wake the neighbors. Sounded like something in the front slapping my front fender with each wheel turn, had to stop to check the front wheel. I since couldn't replicate those real noticeable thuds anymore since i let my bike warm up.

in first gear with he clutch out and it idling it should be about 12 mph. anything below 15-16mph would be a bit lurch and clunky because of the surging of the engine. a slight bit of throttle applied and it should smoothe it out. that can be helped a bit with a tuneup, valve adjustment and sync.
This sound logical. It's probably nothing wrong, although i just found out yesterday one of the headers pipe is dented and has a pen tip hole in it. Might be the reason the engine running weird. About to change new headers and see how it goes from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts