Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

07-08 Ebay seat cowl review

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tlrskunk 
#1 ·
So I pulled the trigger and bought a black 07-08 seat cowl from divinitymotor on ebay. I was expecting a few issues, and the paint to be slightly off, but for $50 shipped to my door I figured it would be something I could just test out to see if I like it.

I'm pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to my bike, so take that into consideration when reading this review.

Overall I'd rate it as an 8/10.

Pros:
cheap ($50 shipped)
fit is 100% spot on
padding feels nice, no visible seams, perfectly matches the seat padding
no indentations from the screws/rivets or flaws visible when attached to the bike
locks solid and doesn't move around or rattle

Cons:
paint does not match 100% (lacks the sparkle of the stock black paint)
one screw hole was broken (that holds the mounting part of the solo seat to the exterior) so I just used super glue on it to give me peace of mind (missing screw did not affect functionality)

So 8/10, the paint difference is absolutely minute, you will not notice it unless you're looking for it. For $50 shipped I'd definitely recommend it.

Pictures:

^^ makes the paint difference look a lot worse than it actually is, flash was on

See less See more
#3 ·
I upload them straight from my phone lol, never was a problem on other forums. I'll see what I can do.

#5 ·

Underside is painted black as well, but isn't clear coated. Around the edges of the underside there is a little red paint in some places, could be primer? Either way it's only visible if you take the seat cowl off and look underneath.

I added the washers to the top right screw because it's mounting hole was cracked. Doesn't affect functionality.

#6 ·
I think the only reason you got an 8/10 was because it's black. Any other color is so far off it's not even worth the $50.

#7 ·
For $50 thats totally doable. My GYTR cowl on the 09 isnt 100% either(to be expected though because of different paint times).

A Very important note for the 09 plus guys, if you do go the after market route make sure you glue or tape an allen key to the cowl because thats the only way you can get to your tool kit. When i brought the 09 home i was checking to see if the cowl was OEM and it was but I also noticed a spot with an allen key in it. Came to realize the tool kit is undeneath the passenger seat.

#11 ·
Got the cowl for the 08 yesterday and heres my take. The product itself looks very good and sturdy, the fit is actually tighter than my GYTR one on the 09(the GYTR shakes around once locked in). The only complaint is the finish but for $40 shipped you have no ****ing right to complain right? The paint is really off color wise to the naked eye. I took some pics with a work light and that made it the worst, the iphone pics dont look bad color wise. Heres some pics of the 08 and 09 cowls to show the color difference.

The last 2 pics are the 09 and if you look you can see the colors not perfect either and thats a $200 plus cover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.