Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a strange problem with my R1. It stalls sometimes under stress and it doesn't seem to bee a mechanical problem, but an electrical instead.

Yamaha's electrician told me (on the phone) that he is 99% sure it is corrosion on a "grounding portal" behind the speedo and he encountered problem like that before.

I teared down and i only found this.

Does anyone know what is this and if it it capable of creating problem like mine?

P.S. ignore the cut wire from the headlights, i will fix it asap

·
R1.. The fast kind
902 Posts
I don't think anything is grounded through the top fairing stay...
I guess the ground point is for shielding or avoid galvanic currents, i don't know.

However, i can't see how a bad connection at that ground point should create the problem you encounter..

If you havn't allready you should look if there are any stored fault codes... (y)
20191216_175917.jpg

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,503 Posts
Not grounded directly to the frame, but through the ECU more likely. I've heard of problems like this happening with the main connection that goes to the digital display dash. It is way more than just a display for information. It is another processing unit in and of itself. I see you still have that connected in the picture. Try disconnecting that and see if there is corrosion in that connector as well. But clean up of any ground point like the one Ozzian circled certainly can't hurt.

Elaborate more on your problem though. When you say "stalls under stress", what exactly happens? Does the engine quit running? Does the whole bike shut down? Are you accelerating hard? Does it restart immediately or do you have to cycle the ignition switch? Any little detail you can provide will help us help you.

And like Ozzian said, look for stored fault codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i did remove the circled ground point, it was fine. No corrosion or anything. Yesterday i cleaned with contact cleaner all the cables and switches.

The problem started like random hiccup under hard acceleration. Then i realised the bike could not accelerate over 165kmh because of that hiccup EVERY TIME at that speed. A local mechanic told me that the bike was stalling but due to the fact that it was in gear and still rolling, it was bump starting instantly. It had some fault codes but i don't remember numbers. Also another worth mentining point is that the bike did not cut power when you open the side stand but it did in the past. I can't see a relation between those two problems other than an electrical issue.

Now the bike runs with disconnected clutch lever sensor ( i dont know why) because it somehow has something to do with it. I think the mechanic has no idea what is going on and he just isolates random stuff to see if problem persists.

·
R1.. The fast kind
902 Posts
Yes, communication problems between ECU and meter unit are rated severe and will stall engine (ER-1 to ER-4).

Most probably your mechanic is on the right track.
Clutch lever switch, side stand switch and neutral switch are main components in the start safety circuit and any of them malfunctioning will give similar problems you encountered...

Problem is, non of them will throw any fault code..

Most common is side stand switch trouble.

In the diag menu you are able to check each signal and that is a good way to do fault finding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the moment she is teared down. I disconnected everything and sprayed them with contact cleaner. Also i secured that there is nothing cut, pinched or loose. I found out that there was some wiring left from the alarm. I thought the mechanic removed it completely but it turned out that he only disconnected the main board. Maybe thats one potential blamer. Unfortunately i did not find any ground portals anywhere and i also have two connectors that i dont know where they go and what they are. Can anyone help?

The first is the one i have my finger on and the other is the bottom white that looks like the one on the right that connects to the tail light

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

And this is the alarm wiring that was connected between the blue connector on the left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Ozzian. I checked the alarm and indeed its wiring has a connector for that particular part. So i leave it as it is.
I will have to test the bike and see if its ok now that i removed the alarm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check the Starter Relay under the seat, it is between the battery and the starter.
As for it dying while running, I would check the regulator, you can also check the rectifier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
if rectifier had issue, before you you replace test the stator, look at the Magneto Alternator, if you have not changed it yet, check it, as the magnets are glued in, and see if any of these are loose, recommendation is to replace it before they start getting loose, and they will, it is a matter of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts