Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the cover off and was looking at the EXUP valve on my 08 tonight. I wanted to check the cables and shoot some WD-40 in them. I started to wonder which direction the valve rotates. When looking at the valve from the side, does it rotate CW or CCW? In other words, which cable pulls it open, the upper or lower?

Sorry for the elementary question, but I'm wondering. I think that the upper cable pulls it open, making the valve rotate CW as it opens.

Am I correct?

·
Life is too short
2,486 Posts
I had the cover off and was looking at the EXUP valve on my 08 tonight. I wanted to check the cables and shoot some WD-40 in them. I started to wonder which direction the valve rotates. When looking at the valve from the side, does it rotate CW or CCW? In other words, which cable pulls it open, the upper or lower?

Sorry for the elementary question, but I'm wondering. I think that the upper cable pulls it open, making the valve rotate CW as it opens.

Am I correct?
Hey MG,

I just went to the basement shelf to grab the EXUP valve assembly to check and it's the other way around. The upper cable closes the EXUP valve.

CW = Close
CCW = Open

-Mike

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can you tell Mike? It's too late for me to fire my bike up right now. Just curious. I've never had any issues with the EXUP valve on any of the Yams I've had ('95 FZR1000, '01 R1, '08 R1). I loosened the upper cable ever so slightly so it matched the lower one. On my '01, I erred on the side of having the cables a hair loose instead of being too tight. The EXUP on this bike is more of a butterfly design, so I could see it rotating either way. On the FZR and '01 R1, the EXUP was more of a "dam" that rotated.

·
Life is too short
2,486 Posts
How can you tell Mike? It's too late for me to fire my bike up right now. Just curious. I've never had any issues with the EXUP valve on any of the Yams I've had ('95 FZR1000, '01 R1, '08 R1). I loosened the upper cable ever so slightly so it matched the lower one. On my '01, I erred on the side of having the cables a hair loose instead of being too tight. The EXUP on this bike is more of a butterfly design, so I could see it rotating either way. On the FZR and '01 R1, the EXUP was more of a "dam" that rotated.
Yeah, your neighbors might hate you in the morning if you fire up the bike now.

how can I tell? Because I have the EXUP assembly in my hand and I'm staring at it and turning the valve as I'm typing this. The EXUP bracket/valve only goes in one into the header one way if you take it apart so once I orient the bracket/EXUP valve, I just turn the valve open and closed since it only turns like 90 degrees.

I ripped all the EXUP stuff out while I had my OEM headers JetHot ceramic coated last year. Honestly, I didn't feel much of a difference with or without the EXUP but my ass dyno isn't as "sensitive" as some of the other guys on here where they can feel a 0.5 HP difference.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I got it. Now that you mention it, I recall the old style EXUPs rotating only about 90 degrees as well. I guess it makes sense, to only have it spin 90 degrees. Also, I forgot it can only rotate one way. On my old bikes, I could rotate the valve a bit and I'd hear it 'bottom out.'

I thought about removing it, but if it's functioning properly I guess I'll leave it in. Are you still using the OEM headers, but with the EXUP removed? Did you have to fab a plate or anything to cover the hole in the side of the collector when you removed it? Silly question, but that shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the fueling should it? I can't see how it would? If you have a sec, can you put up a few pics of the EXUP so I can see the inner workings of it without taking mine out? I'm curious just how big/small it is and how it rotates, i.e. where the stop is that keeps it from only rotating 90 degrees.

By the way, did the Jet Hot coating affect the re-assembly of your exhaust? I've thought about contacting them to get a quote. What y-pipe are you currently using? In your opinion, do you think the MJS y-pipe (gutted OEM) is a decent pipe? I wonder how the 'bulges' where the cats are/were would affect exhaust flow. Would it even be something you'd be able to tell? Like you, my ass dyno isn't as sensitive as others either. I can't tell if I gained that extra hp or two.

Thanks Mike.

Scott

·
Life is too short
2,486 Posts
Exactly, there are two "stoppers" for the EXUP valve. One at the 12 o'clock position and the other at the 3 o'clock position. That is what you heard as the bottoming out sound. I'm pretty sure the movement of the EXUP valve is a tiny more than 90 degrees but not by much.

Yup, still using the OEM headers with the EXUP valve removed. Didn't feel the need to spend the cash for a full exhaust system only to get new headers for an additional couple HP. Instead of fabbing up a plate, I simply took a grinder with a cutting wheel and cut that mofo off flush with the inside of the EXUP plate. Be careful though since there will be some crazy sparks a flying since the EXUP valve is made of TI. As for the fueling, I have a Bazzaz set up and it self maps so I never noticed any fuel issues.

Nope, the JetHot coating didn't really affect the reassembly of the exhaust. The only thing that is worth mentioning is the section where the collector connects to the y-pipe, it is a little tighter fitting there with the ceramic coating. I took a sand paper flapper wheel and took my drill to knock down some of the coating so the two pieces will fit a little easier. I'm currently using a Leo Vince y-pipe that is JetHot coated. The MJS gutted y-pipe is a decent pipe if you are going for a stock look. It does cost a few bucks less than an aftermarket y-pipe and of course it will fit like a glove since it is OEM. As far as exhaust flow? I'm sure that the aftermarket y-pipes flow more/easier than a gutted stocker however I can't see an aftermarket unit yield more than a couple HP over a gutted y-pipe. Another difference is the weight. A gutted stock y-pipe is heavier than aftermarket units by least 3-4 pounds. I had a MJS gutted y-pipe back a few years ago so these are simply my observations.

In my opinion (of course there will those sensitive ass dyno guys who will argue) guys that say they can "feel" a difference of a 1-2 HP are full of shit.

·
Keep it between the hedges!
1,769 Posts
In my opinion (of course there will those sensitive ass dyno guys who will argue) guys that say they can "feel" a difference of a 1-2 HP are full of shit.[/QUOTE]

Agreed..ass dyno is pure bull. Dyno time and a chart speak louder than words!

·
Life is too short
2,486 Posts
Hey MG,

Here are the pics I took after dinner tonight.

Pic 1 shows what you will see of you sit on ground on the left side of the bike looking at the EXUP assembly. Notice that the stopper is at around the 12 o'clock position.

Pic 2 shows what it would look from inside the header looking from the header tubes to the collector.

Pic 3 shows when the valve is turned 90 degrees clockwise (notice the stopper)

Pic 4 shows the EXUP valve closed from what it would look from inside the header again.

Hope that makes sense.
-Mike

Attachments

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot, Mike. Makes much more sense now. The way I see it is that when the stopper is at 12:00, the valve is wide open. When the stopper is at 3:00, it's closed. In the service manual, it states that when the valve is cycled with the engine off, the stopper should be at 3:00, i.e. closed. Once the engine fires up, the valve should rotate CCW to open, bringing the stopper closer to 12:00. That's all correct, right?

It also looks like the entire assembly comes out as one piece, right? That would definitely make cleaning it a lot easier than it was on the old style EXUP valve.

Thanks again for the pics. I appreciate your time and effort.

·
Life is too short
2,486 Posts
Thanks a lot, Mike. Makes much more sense now. The way I see it is that when the stopper is at 12:00, the valve is wide open. When the stopper is at 3:00, it's closed. In the service manual, it states that when the valve is cycled with the engine off, the stopper should be at 3:00, i.e. closed. Once the engine fires up, the valve should rotate CCW to open, bringing the stopper closer to 12:00. That's all correct, right?

It also looks like the entire assembly comes out as one piece, right? That would definitely make cleaning it a lot easier than it was on the old style EXUP valve.

Thanks again for the pics. I appreciate your time and effort.
No problem MG, glad to help out when I can.

I believe that you are correct. It's been a while since I've taken out the EXUP gear so I don't really remember what position the valve starts at.

Yes, the entire EXUP assembly comes out as one piece. You just have to undo four bolts and you can pull out the whole thing.

·
My R1 and me is a love story
290 Posts
Hey MG,

Here are the pics I took after dinner tonight.

Pic 1 shows what you will see of you sit on ground on the left side of the bike looking at the EXUP assembly. Notice that the stopper is at around the 12 o'clock position.

Pic 2 shows what it would look from inside the header looking from the header tubes to the collector.

Pic 3 shows when the valve is turned 90 degrees clockwise (notice the stopper)

Pic 4 shows the EXUP valve closed from what it would look from inside the header again.

Hope that makes sense.
-Mike
just to say thank you for the pictures :thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts