Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned two bikes before a 2000 r1 and 2001 rc51.
the r1 was my first bike and its been 6 years so i dont really recall how that feels. rc51 i sold less than a year ago.
I liked the rc, but it definitely feels heavy on corners/doesnt "flick" on turns as easy. It also feels a bit under powered. other than that its a lot of fun.
^^ the reason I mention this is b/c the 675 is very close to the rc51 power to weight ratio.

type of riding:
id say 90% street riding 10% back roads/twisty.

I may decided to try track this year but if i do i would most likely only track 1-3 times a year.

Im looking to purchase a bike in a months time. I already have the funds just cant decide on what I want.

ive read a lot of great things about this bike and i like this bike a lot. the only issue i have is power.
Im very much into the power and feels like I would regret buying it and getting used to the power and then it would feel slow(straight line acceleration)
(this is how i felt about the rc51. I goten used to the power in about 6 months time and it felt "slow" on a straight line acceleration(dont get me wrong its still plenty fast but just not crazy fast/r1). twisty wise i barely use all it has to offer.)

R1
without the 675 r1 without a question. buying both isnt an option at this time.
My only concern is the weight/flickability.

for someone that has ridden both and is also a "HP Hungry" like myself which would you recommend? and why?

I have yet to test ride either. but I havent rode in about 7 months and Im sure the 675 would feel fast now. but not sure about later after some seat time.
I know for sure the r1 will satisfy(power wise) but when i do twisty it would seems like 675 is a better choice.

I have riden my friends 2009/2010? r1 and it felt super light vs my rc but also riding position is more straight up. I prefered rc51 riding position.

if you can only have one which would you pick?

· SEMPER FI 0331
422 Posts
I had a 06 r1. After coming from a 05 gsxr1k I thought the r1 felt pretty weak. It felt like a big 600 to me personally. I have not ridden a 675 but I have heard nothing but good about them. A lot of guys say they have the best suspension on a production bike. I'm not a huge fan of 600 but if I was given the choice between a great 600 like the 675 or the 06 r1 that felt fairly weak to me I'd take the 600 at least then when I got on the gas and it felt like a 600 I wouldn't be disappointed. I know this is a r1 forum so a lot of guys probably won't agree with my opinion but that's just my thoughts. If you want a cheaper bike with a lot of power I personally would go with a 05-06 gsxr1k or zx10r

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 06 r1. After coming from a 05 gsxr1k I thought the r1 felt pretty weak. It felt like a big 600 to me personally. I have not ridden a 675 but I have heard nothing but good about them. A lot of guys say they have the best suspension on a production bike. I'm not a huge fan of 600 but if I was given the choice between a great 600 like the 675 or the 06 r1 that felt fairly weak to me I'd take the 600 at least then when I got on the gas and it felt like a 600 I wouldn't be disappointed. I know this is a r1 forum so a lot of guys probably won't agree with my opinion but that's just my thoughts. If you want a cheaper bike with a lot of power I personally would go with a 05-06 gsxr1k or zx10r

thanks for the response. I have consider the other litter bikes. price wise they are all the same. except there are more r1 available and thus more options for a better bike for the price.

looks wise I want an under tail exhaust. Im also not a fan of the single headlight look of the gsxr + side exhaust = out of the question. zx10r are nice but hard to find in the 5k range when in other color other than green.
looks wise r1 takes it for me. I wouldnt consider any other 600 beside 675. I had toyed with the idea of buying a the 600rr but 675 is a better choice imo.

those are the reasoning those are my two choice.

· Banned
432 Posts
FWIW I've owned both bikes. If you're a horsepower junkie you might miss a liter bike. That being said, I rode the 675 every chance that I got & the wife says that I always came home with a smile after riding it :33:.

The Daytona handles really well & is pretty fast for a middleweight. Tough choice. Let us know which one you end up getting.

Good luck.

· I'm ok with my R1 eating me
102 Posts
I think if you re-read your post, you've already made your decision. The 675 are good bikes, I've never heard anything bad about em. It sounds like you crave power and any 6 is NOT going to give you that. You WILL struggle to keep up with liter bikes even if that Triumph has an extra 75cc's. I've ridden an R6 before and yes they are nimble as hell, but so are R1's. You can throw that bike into the corners and twisties and she'll just laugh at you and say is that all you got? My vote is the R1, hands down. Plus the 04-06 series, one of the best IMO. Goodluck either way.

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
I think if you re-read your post, you've already made your decision. The 675 are good bikes, I've never heard anything bad about em. It sounds like you crave power and any 6 is NOT going to give you that. You WILL struggle to keep up with liter bikes even if that Triumph has an extra 75cc's. I've ridden an R6 before and yes they are nimble as hell, but so are R1's. You can throw that bike into the corners and twisties and she'll just laugh at you and say is that all you got? My vote is the R1, hands down. Plus the 04-06 series, one of the best IMO. Goodluck either way.
I've owned a few 600's and more than a few 1000's of different brands. I agree, 04-06 R1's are where it's at!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.