Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been seeing everywhere ON LOTS OF SITES the 07 R1 stock is 156.6 hp . Well I installed a BMC race filter, dropped a tooth in the front, and put the Graves cat-Eliminator exhaust. I took it to a HP shop a hour north of me and had it thrown on the dyno.... well good thing the cat-Eliminator brought me 10 HP THRU THE ENTIRE RANGE!!!! AND 6 POUNDS MORE TORQUE!!! but the dissapointing thing is its started at 146 and made it to 156... how is this possible? every site says 156.6 stock?!?!?!??!?!1 and I know this guy knows what he is doing... he doesnt show "fake" number like if u have the dyno in a sealed A/C room is will boost numbers and such.. and if you dyno a hot bike it will show better numbers....

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure did.... a CUSTOM map... I have the pc3 usb,bmc race filter, -1 tooth, graves exhaust.... But I am talking about the stock numbers..... or thats my i am sad :( i thought i had 156hp stock

·
TechnoPhiliac
419 Posts
So can anyone shed some light on this? Why does it say everywhere that the stock 07R1 is 156hp and it is really 146?:bash :fork :fork
I'll take a stab at this. firstly, of course people post their best numbers and not all of the data they have. Some variability is unavoidable. Another thing I heard is that some guys lube the crap out of the drive chain to gain a distinct increase in measured power. I've heard numbers like 5 HP right there. Doesn't seem entirely honest but its also the truth so...

Also, believe it or not there is power to be gained by running lighter weight oil. I've heard of 2 or 3 HP here, too.

The last thing that I'm going to mention is the break-in procedure. There is a lot of controversy about what the best procedure it but it remains that how the bearings wear in and the clearances they had during assembly can have a dramatic effect. Also dialing in the cam timing. There 2 to 5 hp here, too. That's why professional racers alway "blueprint" even brand new engines. Manufacturing tolerances are set with pragmatic issues in mind and a serious machine shop can dial in to the absolute optimum for horsepower sacrificing engine longevity.

there's lots more but this gives you an idea

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
The last thing that I'm going to mention is the break-in procedure. There is a lot of controversy about what the best procedure it but it remains that how the bearings wear in and the clearances they had during assembly can have a dramatic effect

from the little that i know and heard, the break in method, is the biggest single factor in having a great preforming engine.

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I broke my engine to factory specs to the number..... But why would someone "pad" the STOCK numbers? What would someone gain from that? I could see someone padding the "after" numbers but not the "before" ... I reallly think its hard to believe that even if someone " broke in" the motor ruff or not just right it would take 10hp from it.... I mean its good to get on it once or twice during the breakin period to blow out the rings into the seat or whatever its called

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
dyno is measuring tool, not absolute. all around different dynos make different power. there are tricks on dyno to get more hp.. but really bike will make what it makes. also correction factor and such. temp elevation and such can effect it. i wouldnt worry about it as long as ur happy

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am happy and I love the way the new exhaust sounds and looks... I was just thrown off when I saw on MANY sites the 07 had 156hp and when I saw it on paper it was 10hp less... I dont know much about the whole thing so I am just asking for some feedback :horse:

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
u can run bike on dyno couple times, get it hot. fire it back up and run it within 2 minutes of last pass. it should read higher. also depending on air and density altitude. plus if humiduty is high.. there is less oxygen in air... less oxygen in air means less power on dyno. dyno has software that you can input and change correction factors depending on conditions. plus chart doesnt show correction factor or if its SAE or STD measurement. u can run bike on dyno 2 days apart and it will have different readings. dynos are really for seeing changes in bike, and tuning it. one guys dyno chart may read 165hp in one spot and in different spot same bike may make 155hp. doesnt mean bike lost 10 hp.. just 10 hp less showing on dyno.

·
R1
328 Posts
I broke my engine to factory specs to the number..... But why would someone "pad" the STOCK numbers? What would someone gain from that? I could see someone padding the "after" numbers but not the "before" ... I reallly think its hard to believe that even if someone " broke in" the motor ruff or not just right it would take 10hp from it.... I mean its good to get on it once or twice during the breakin period to blow out the rings into the seat or whatever its called
This is just my opinion...
everybody has the right to ride/break-in their bike as they see fit.
alot of people errr on the side of caution and follow the owners manual makes sense to do that i guess but i think you will find the owners manual is written to cover yamaha's ass and to give you the best chance of enjoying your bike with little or no problems for both yamaha and you.
Having said that the break-in period will either turn your bike into a beast or a turtle.
I am not even going to list the 101 differnet ways to break in a motor there are plenty of opinions in this forum and across the internet but what i will say is what's done is done there is no going back without putting new rings in etc etc .

I am sorry you did not get the power figures you expected but you still have a really great bike ... just enjoy it :)

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
<---------------- 153.6 stock, and I did ride it like I stole it during break-in :dunno At any rate every dyno, bike, and condition is different, to say that everyone else's 07 is dynoing 156 stock in not in reality a fair statement.

I did recently add the A&R baffles, and a stock gutted Y pipe and it woke the bike up everywhere. I have not had the chance to run it on the dyno again. A 10 HP gain throughout the entire range is awesome, you should be elated not disappointed :yesnod

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont get me wrong guys.... I am VERY HAPPY WITH THE NEW NUMBERS but I just thought it was off/werid when I saw the STOCK numbers

·
UEM Dragracing
16 Posts
When I put my bike on the dyno for the first time I was very disappointed, too.
The bike was pretty new, less than 1000km.
5000 km later, it showed over 10hp more, without any mods.
I have seen this with several different bikes, they just need some thousand miles to make the full power.

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
Dont get me wrong guys.... I am VERY HAPPY WITH THE NEW NUMBERS but I just thought it was off/werid when I saw the STOCK numbers
Where are you getting these "stock numbers" from?

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I took my bike up to the local harley shop and talked a few guys into letting me dyno my bike on their machine... same numbers from the previous dyno run I did the other day at the local HP shop. So the numbers are valid.

:YAMAHOG:
Check gravesport.com and look at the exhaust dyno charts.. they show the Stock 07 R1 at 156.6hp.... and Dynojet.com and a few others.

well I dam sure will be doing up the dyno in a few 1000 miles... I think I still have under 2000 right now.

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
See the list of engine mods I've done to my bike and she "ONLY" gets 149rwhp at 1.2mile altitude. Before the head was done, 141rwhp so I had a gain of 8hp.

Point is, Dyno's are USELESS as tools to show peak power, they show you comparitive outputs, stock then after mods....

By the way mine was done a Dynojet250 at the Official Dynojet importers and race prep boys.

You wanna know if you making power, get a mate to dyno with you and compare, same time.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried, a low reading dyno, lower tire pressure, type of tire, etc. has everything to do with it....

Some dynos are VERY optimistic, but you have very good gains, that's where it counts...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.