Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Trackday Junkie
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this has been addressed before but I will be damned if I can find it through searching. I'm screwed up on the wording. But MAN IS THIS THING [email protected][email protected]@$#@[email protected]#$% It is almost friggin impossible to ride this thing on the track in a hairpin. It's either on or off, there is no trailing off the gas for a huge slow turn either. I mean what the hell?? Is there a fix for this? It cannot be done with the PCIII I have tried, it has a custom map and is putting down 176.

So guys is there a fix to this or it it doomed by Yamaha's YCCTs crap? Oh and the Recall has been done.

Someone please help this makes the bike not a pleasure to ride. Especially around town.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
Check your TPS to see if any adjustments can be done there, other than that, maybe the TBs can be resynched as well, or it is the nature of the beast pretty much....

·
Hook'em Horns
2,825 Posts
I have not really seen this addressed as an issue before. I have the same problem in slow corners, they can be kind of tricky getting back on the gas. I thought it was just me. Maybe someone knows of fix to help the transition from off/on the gas.

·
Trackday Junkie
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shrug.. I figured it was due to the fly by wire throttle?

That is exactly what it is. And the reason it finished second to the GSXR in a bunch of the Euro mags. It is the nature of the bike to pull more but not this ON/OFF response.

I love the handling, love the power, love the looks. But absolutely hate the throttle response. Makes it so where I almost don't like riding it. Especially when you have a couple of bikes and you get off one and onto the other and see how it should be.

·
Trackday Junkie
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So ok cool it's only the 07. Then it has to be the YCCT.

·
rainman 998
14 Posts
Hey Guys,
Did you all manage to solve the throttle lag problem? Seems my 07 R1 is having the same problem. First noticed it while trying to ride round slowly and I could not get a linear response in the low rpms. As such, had to use the clutch. Also noticed that around 135kph + or - you can feel the bike jerking very slightly. The engine management light also comes on.
My mechanic cleaned the throttle body and everything was great. But it come back after three weeks of inactivy as I was away.
The people selling PC3's tell me that the Ecu is not adjusted to our local conditions In Malaysia (Hot and humid). Their PC3s will fix the problem. I am trying to avoid using the PC3's. The bike was fine earlier. It all started with the engine management light coming on.
I have a K&N filter, Yoshimura three quarter system (the silencer difussers in place) witha Y Pipe which replaces the catylytic converter. The power valve is untouched.
Please help!

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
Try going back to stock air filter....

if your fault light is coming on check the code it's throwing, that's your first problem, once that's done, try and get a tune, if not, at least go back to the stock air filter....this will change powerband and A/F ratio without a custom tune and doesn't help you even when tuned....

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
No big problem here from my '07....

But I will say that it got slightly jerkier in certain situations (modulating wheelies:dundun:) when I added Power Commander and exhaust.

However, I have not dyno-tuned, so maybe it could be rectified that way.

As far as getting back on the gas in a turn, no real problems.

If you think your R1 has problems, go get on a 2006 FZ-1 or an 06 GSX-R750.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
Oh, and Piper, you're right about 'A' mode on the '09 -

Slomack let me ride his at the Gap during the Convention in June, and 'A' mode was too much for that tight road...

...but 'STD' mode was PERFECT! Best throttle response and connection from right hand to rear wheel I've ever felt...and best-responding motorcycle engine I've ever ridden.

And yes, I've ridden the "class benchmark 1098."

·
REMIX
57 Posts
I was having a similar occurance with my 07 and I decided to run a diagnostic test (#1) and watch the dash as i slowly increased the throttle from off.

All it needed was a fraction of a twist and the problem presented itself rather clearly. As soon as it clicks from "off" to on there was an immediate jump from off (15) to on (around 22ish) after the initial jump you can easily increase the throttle by 1 by twisting the throttle smoothly.

As far as fixing this issue.. not really sure?

:fork

·
rainman 998
14 Posts
I believe I will have the problem (sticky throttle response) solved when I change the throttle position sensor. After finding out how to use the diagnostic meter, it has confirmed again that the TPS HAS A PROBLEM. THIS has been going on for a while. Now the motor begins to sputter and you will get no throttle response. Have to switch off and restart. So the problem has come full circle. First the engine management light shows up. Then it starts getting sticky and jerky at low rpm. Now the engine either dies abruptly or goes into idle with no throttle response. I have placed an order for the TPS.
FINGERS ARE CROSSED. Error code 59:)

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
This problem is for real, i have tried allmost everything to solve it, i'm convinced it's something in the program that make this.
Just like "remix1201" i've noticed that no matter how carefull i try to twist the handle it is a delay, or a stepp, where the butterflyes suddenly pops open.

I've tried readjust the TPSs several degrees, hoping they have a deadband but it make no differance.

I testrode the -10 R1 two days ago and i didn't feel much of this (or at all) so if the -09 have the same flaw then they must have fixed it on the -10.
However, it was a big bike test weekend so the bike could have been equipped with a different ECU, what do i know? :)

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
How do I get to the bottom screw on the TPS. Do I drop the engine? What kind of tool should I use? Where do I get the tool for it?
Thanks!
I've made a "how to" for some simple tools but it involve some manufacturing.
Othervise you have to remove the throttle body to reach the TPS on the right hand side. Link

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I've done my fair share on the track with my 07 and never noticed a problem with the throttle being twitchy? :dundun: I can make the bike have a twitchy throttle though! :crash I have a feeling this has more to do with the rider not being able to modulate the throttle effectively.

go into diagnostic mode and compare the values from the throttle TPS to the TB TPS.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.