Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any aftermarket clutches for the 07 R1 that aren't slippers. I DO know the benefits of a slipper but the stock unit in my bike is out of balance and from what I've read there have been many similar complaints of vibration issues. I would go with a STM or Yoyodyne slipper if the prices were lower... I'm just looking for options

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
you would have to replace basket and everything out of an 04-06 to go with regular clutch. plates are same in 04-07, just 07 has slipper basket and hub.

·
Convention main man
13,730 Posts
Does anyone know of any aftermarket clutches for the 07 R1 that aren't slippers. I DO know the benefits of a slipper but the stock unit in my bike is out of balance and from what I've read there have been many similar complaints of vibration issues. I would go with a STM or Yoyodyne slipper if the prices were lower... I'm just looking for options

what kind of vibration issues? I can't imagine where that would vibrate, if it is I would check into warranty and not spending money on something else yet. the Yamaha slipper is a good slipper clutch.

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kind of vibration issues? I can't imagine where that would vibrate, if it is I would check into warranty and not spending money on something else yet. the Yamaha slipper is a good slipper clutch.
The vibration is most noticeable at an idle when the clutch is engaged and disengaged when the transmission is in neutral. Of course a dealer would tell you that is acceptable but the vibration can't be doing the bearings any good at higher rpm's and by the time they get chewed up the warranty will be long gone.
The quality of these OEM parts Yamaha puts on are sketchy. Most are fine but others are marginal. It's a cost savings issue for them and just winds up costing us $$$ in the end. $$$ well spent, don't get me wrong. I'll probably just pick up an aftermarket slipper. From what I've heard the performance is noticeable.

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
B'eater take your bike to 2 or 3 dealers and have them check it and document it. If it goes after the warrenty and causes further damage to other parts......you may have something, no ?

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
ur talking about clutch rattle.. it stops when u pull clutch in right>> ?? tats the springs rattling on basket.. there are set of springs that separate the gear on basket and basket itself. to help minimize shock on gear and clutch. this sounds pretty normal.

·
Convention main man
13,730 Posts
ur talking about clutch rattle.. it stops when u pull clutch in right>> ?? tats the springs rattling on basket.. there are set of springs that separate the gear on basket and basket itself. to help minimize shock on gear and clutch. this sounds pretty normal.
That is kind of what I was thinking.

B'eater, I have raced the Yamaha 06 R6 and 07 R1 for the last two years. I race them practically bone stock. No aftermarket clutches or any engine upgrades. actually the only thing I have ever done to my bikes is bolt on stuff like powercommander and exhausts etc. I actually would say Yamaha has some of the highest quality OEM parts of any manf. out there. Obviously they have to save costs somewhere to keep the selling prices down, but I think they put a lot of time and research in doing that and not at the expense of the quality.

good luck.

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a noticeable rattle and vibration that stops when the clutch is disengaged. It's probably pretty close to normal. Maybe needs to be worn in more. Only 3000 miles of pretty much clutchless shifting, the plates are likely still like new.

·
Convention main man
13,730 Posts
YOu have anyone that you know that also has the 07 R1? You could compare. I think that 1longR1 is right and that this is a normal thing.

I would just hate for you to go out and spend a lot of $$$$ unneeded.

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is kind of what I was thinking.

B'eater, I have raced the Yamaha 06 R6 and 07 R1 for the last two years. I race them practically bone stock. No aftermarket clutches or any engine upgrades. actually the only thing I have ever done to my bikes is bolt on stuff like powercommander and exhausts etc. I actually would say Yamaha has some of the highest quality OEM parts of any manf. out there. Obviously they have to save costs somewhere to keep the selling prices down, but I think they put a lot of time and research in doing that and not at the expense of the quality.

good luck.
Yeah I agree. I've owned 2 Yamaha's out of the 9 bikes I've had and the quality has always been as good or superior to the other 3 manufacturers. It's just that with the other issues I've been having (stalling!!! for one) my confidence has dropped some. I'm sure I'll sort it out.
Thanks

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YOu have anyone that you know that also has the 07 R1? You could compare. I think that 1longR1 is right and that this is a normal thing.

I would just hate for you to go out and spend a lot of $$$$ unneeded.
I've seen a couple of forum members that are from my area. Maybe look them up come spring. Wish I could ride year round. Must be nice down your way this time of the year. For now I'll save my $$ for suspension mods. Not to get off track but is there anyone making aftremarket spring kits to fit stock suspension.

·
Convention main man
13,730 Posts
I've seen a couple of forum members that are from my area. Maybe look them up come spring. Wish I could ride year round. Must be nice down your way this time of the year. For now I'll save my $$ for suspension mods. Not to get off track but is there anyone making aftremarket spring kits to fit stock suspension.
Yeah, I can't complain. We get a LOT of riding in down here.:)

On the stalling thing, grab up one of the new ECU's and that will fix that right up. You just switch out yours for the recall, not a big deal.

On the springs, www.traxxion.com They will hook you up with anything you need. Tell them I sent you, I have worked with them a lot the last year and they really are good folks there. You can get your forks resprung and revalved for pretty cheap, and if you really want the good stuff look at getting the AK-20 drop in cartidges for you forks. I ran them this year on my R1 and loved them.

Chad

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I can't complain. We get a LOT of riding in down here.:)

On the stalling thing, grab up one of the new ECU's and that will fix that right up. You just switch out yours for the recall, not a big deal.

On the springs, www.traxxion.com They will hook you up with anything you need. Tell them I sent you, I have worked with them a lot the last year and they really are good folks there. You can get your forks resprung and revalved for pretty cheap, and if you really want the good stuff look at getting the AK-20 drop in cartidges for you forks. I ran them this year on my R1 and loved them.

Chad
Thanks Chad.
I've already swapped the ECU in July and it still stalls. I've been seeing that folks are adjusting the TPS a few degrees and that is solving the issue. I was going to do it this summer but it requires some time to get at the adjustment so I'll do it in the off season. It's a strange issue, the bike will stall and start running like crap then you turn off the key and restart it will run fine. Frustrating especially when riding with four friends from Canada on their Ducati's. Sorry, but I didn't represent as well as I should have.
Thanks for the suspension info. I've been online with them and heard from others that they are great. I'll give them a call.
Wayne

·
Convention main man
13,730 Posts
Good deal Wayne. As for Mike at Traxxion when you call. He is really helpful.

As for the stalling, sorry to hear that. Maybe look into taking it to a race shop that does engine tuning and building and see what they have to say about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.