Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I need a help. My friends 07 R1 with 600miles in it has a very bad vibration at higher speeds. The vibration is by the front end. We balanced the wheels in different shops, changed complete wheels with another 07 R1. Tried different tires, nothing helped. Steering neck bearing is OK. The vibration is scary, especially when you on the brakes. BTW the brakes are feel like shit also.
Anyone heard about this on the 07 R1? Or any idea??
Thanks.

·
Mmmmm, Stone chippy
40 Posts
Thats crazy! I haven't ridden another bike with brakes that feel as good as my R1 (haven't ridden a 1098s though). Why can't they take it on a hwy at 60mph? If the customer goes to the dealer with a problem, that problem should be fixed. There's no way an '07 should feel "scary" at 60mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats crazy! I haven't ridden another bike with brakes that feel as good as my R1 (haven't ridden a 1098s though). Why can't they take it on a hwy at 60mph? If the customer goes to the dealer with a problem, that problem should be fixed. There's no way an '07 should feel "scary" at 60mph.
I said at track speeds 60+ Mph, well over 60Mph 100-160.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 07-08 R1's have different rotors for Left & Right.

1. Make sure the rotors are on the correct sides of the wheel.

2. Make sure the wheel is turning in the correct direction.

The wheel direction or rotors or both can be installed improperly with a small amount of force between the rotors and brake calipers. I have seen this a couple of times in the past. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 07-08 R1's have different rotors for Left & Right.

1. Make sure the rotors are on the correct sides of the wheel.

2. Make sure the wheel is turning in the correct direction.

The wheel direction or rotors or both can be installed improperly with a small amount of force between the rotors and brake calipers. I have seen this a couple of times in the past. Good luck.
Thanks but these basic things were ruled out in first place. Steering damper is OK, and is not a headshake, it's a vibration all over the front end.

I think it's might be some internal suspension problem, probably they did not tight something inside. It would be very odd, but never know.

·
Registered
995 Posts
ok guy,
I got the right answer for your trouble.
I bought my bike togheter with a friend of mine.
His bike form the first day he picked got the same issue,so we started investigating and the dealer started also to change everything he supposed was producing the vibration.after changed about evrything we met a guy there for the first service with the same problem and he ended telling us that a certain number of r1 07 bikes got assembled with a defective fork,in fact after changing everything in his bike yamaha's tec suggested to change the fork and yes, issue's gone.
the defect is inside the fork, in few word the smaller tube (i don't know how to call it correctly ,sorry but i'm italian) inside the fork hasn't got the right diameter ,so when you start breaking it start to oscillate producing a vibration.so the only way to go is to replace the fork,sorry dude!
my :dollar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok guy,
I got the right answer for your trouble.
I bought my bike togheter with a friend of mine.
His bike form the first day he picked got the same issue,so we started investigating and the dealer started also to change everything he supposed was producing the vibration.after changed about evrything we met a guy there for the first service with the same problem and he ended telling us that a certain number of r1 07 bikes got assembled with a defective fork,in fact after changing everything in his bike yamaha's tec suggested to change the fork and yes, issue's gone.
the defect is inside the fork, in few word the smaller tube (i don't know how to call it correctly ,sorry but i'm italian) inside the fork hasn't got the right diameter ,so when you start breaking it start to oscillate producing a vibration.so the only way to go is to replace the fork,sorry dude!
my :dollar
Thank You!! That's what I was afraid of. I am wondering they did not do a recall on this. It's a serious safety thing.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
Strange.....OEM forks also got this prb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.