Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1821 - 1840 of 1861 Posts

·
4,089 Posts
I know how to fix it.....KEEP IT IN THE POWERBAND! If you are worried about the lag at 5500 rpms if you need to get out of a sticky situation, then worry about the rest of the power below 7000 too, because it ALL lags. The one at 5500 is just a little more pronounced. The bike feels like it's turboed, and has a very delayed response to the throttle. I don't care, I still love the bike. I felt the 5500rpm problem once, and I just down shifted to 1st and no harm done. Is everyone scared to go above 7000 rpms in first? If you shift above 7000 in first, than most likely, you'll never see 5500 in 2nd, hence, never have the lag problem.

I agree with what was mentioned on this issue just being a characteristic of the way the bike runs.

·
No doot aboot it eh?
1,540 Posts
You look like an a$$hole cruising around in town 7k+rpm.

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
I know how to fix it.....KEEP IT IN THE POWERBAND! If you are worried about the lag at 5500 rpms if you need to get out of a sticky situation, then worry about the rest of the power below 7000 too, because it ALL lags. The one at 5500 is just a little more pronounced. The bike feels like it's turboed, and has a very delayed response to the throttle. I don't care, I still love the bike. I felt the 5500rpm problem once, and I just down shifted to 1st and no harm done. Is everyone scared to go above 7000 rpms in first? If you shift above 7000 in first, than most likely, you'll never see 5500 in 2nd, hence, never have the lag problem.

I agree with what was mentioned on this issue just being a characteristic of the way the bike runs.
If you don't work for Yamaha, then you are just a fool :yesnod Again, if you guys like the lag, and don't want to contribute in a positive manner, than move on to the next thread :hammer:

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
I've got mixed feelings.Do I want it fixed SURE. Does It bother me while riding NOT ONE BIT!!!! Its the nastiest two wheeler I've ever been on/owned.The bike just simply out shines the little lag.
+1

My Bike is in the shop as we Speak and i am taking it one tooth down , which will effectivley take em out of the Lag range even further. They are also going to Review and report the lag issue, i explained it to him in full detail, also showed him R! lovers video. he was astonished in the results. Cant wait for him to find it on my Bike. The tech owns a 06 and has yet to ride an 07. i told him before you repair my bike , take it for a nice little cruis and dont come back until you feel that Lag!

There is no Low end what so ever!!! The bike does seem to hesitate under 5K RPM regardess but i wouldnt call it a LAG, like the 55K Mark, that is a serious Lag! But as mentioned In your Post, RIDE HARDER! I've been saying it from day One, if your in a low 2nd gear before the turn Go down to a high RPM 1st! I Ride around it Subconciously since Day 1. i stay away from 2nd Gear and when i am in 2nd its only for a sec. b4 i Clap to 3rd. $.02

·
NICK C. BE ME 180+
123 Posts
I Ride Hard And Fast

I RIDE MY 07 EVERYWHERE . I have a great canyon for my back yard it's called GMR The back side of the mountain is called the race track.To be fast going up this mountain second gear is the gear I hit the F N lag every time I run this mountain.Every time i hit the lag it SLOWS me down no matter how fast u think u are you will hit the lag period.It is not so easy to recover from the lag eather.The way I recover is let of the throttle for 2 seconds and hope i am out of the quick sand .I ride hard it SUCKS being slowed down by my own bike. If u know how to ride at all u know how this hurts . The rest of the bike is incredible down low ,mid range ,top end u dont have to do shit to this bike it is ready to race as is except for the hole in the universe the very serious lag issue.You guys that come on this thread and say the lag is not a problem are only undermining the effort everyone is putting in to finding a solution.PLAESE TAKE YOUR B S ELESWHERE :chair: There will be a solution :riding :yesnod ........

·
TechnoPhiliac
421 Posts

If a tree falls in the woods...

·
Speed freak
114 Posts
Yo THEBFA,

I never thought of keeping it in the power band, you must be a rocket scientist. Ounce you are in the lag downshifting to first didn't make my lag stop. You must not have tried it or you would know that doesn't work.

·
Gauloises!!!
351 Posts
omg!!! i can't believe everyones fighting with others here... com on people.... R1 lover is right,,, this is the thread for those who have the lag problem and don't like it....

I DID NOT PAY 13K FOR A BIKE WITH LAG PROBLEMS... IF THAT DOSEN'T BOTHER YOU THEN THERES NO NEED TO POSET HERE FOR YOU!!!

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
some guy in the general discussion part just went down they think they might total it if so we can get the ECU off of that bike :)
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201044
I've been telling them that in the Thread and still no Reply.
Just because the lag doesnt Effect me doesnt meen, i Dont want a fix!
I am doing my best to help. I WOuld Like this to be fixed ASAP before any of the effected riders get hurt!!!

·
Been there, Done that, Twice
684 Posts
Saw On Ebay a wiring harness. Also, there is a outfit that sells bike parts on there, that have 07 parts available. Just thought I would throw that in there. It could be a start Adamsys!! Harness was 40 bucks, just wondering who's got the ECU.............

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
I finally saw the video of the lag issue - my god that is terrible. Especially that delay. The idiots who keep saying just don't ride in that range must live on a racetrack. In the real world, people commute on bikes and frequently end up in the lower RPM ranges on city and local streets. I would hate to try to merge or avoid something, only to have no response. That would be very concerning to me.

Like many have said, is it going to take an actual accident to finally get Yamaha to do something? Or NHTSA to take action? And just the fact that manufacturer's are allowed to have loopholes to pass the government tests is ridiculous - maybe the DOT or whoever needs to have laws to penalize manufacturer's for these types of things. I know KTM does it on their street-legal bikes (like the SMR and SXC) with poor jetting, but it affects the whole RPM range, so it could be considered by design. But to specifically target the exact test that the government runs, and only that situation, is a legal flaw to me.

Seems like Yamaha could have designed the engine better so that this loophole was not necessary. Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have done it, why can't Yamaha? Makes me wonder about those guys.

Derek

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
ohlarikd, while I agree with you on most points, you are wrong in the assumption that Yamaha did this on purpose. There is a programing error with the interaction between all of the gadgetry. I do believe that Yamaha only found about about it after the bikes were delivered. Their failure to fix the problem is where Yamaha went wrong, and it will cost them loyal customers such as myself. By calling it a characteristic of the bike and not a safety problem, they are simply utlizing a legal loophole, for a reason why they should not fix the bike. It is all BS, just like them doing nothing about the broken pegs, except to cover them under warranty. Look at Ducati, and their recalls, and you will see a company willing to stand behind what they sell.

1821 - 1840 of 1861 Posts
About this Discussion
1.9K Replies
203 Participants
SpidermanSS
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing