Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1841 - 1860 of 1861 Posts

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
ohlarikd, while I agree with you on most points, you are wrong in the assumption that Yamaha did this on purpose. There is a programing error with the interaction between all of the gadgetry. I do believe that Yamaha only found about about it after the bikes were delivered. Their failure to fix the problem is where Yamaha went wrong, and it will cost them loyal customers such as myself. By calling it a characteristic of the bike and not a safety problem, they are simply utlizing a legal loophole, for a reason why they should not fix the bike. It is all BS, just like them doing nothing about the broken pegs, except to cover them under warranty. Look at Ducati, and their recalls, and you will see a company willing to stand behind what they sell.
I've been trying to read as much as possible from these 93 pages - what I had gathered was that this was an emissions issue, that the test was run at 5500 rpm and up in 2nd gear. Having the bike run in a lean state with a slow RPM increase could pass easier than in normal situations. This is how KTM passed, with lean jetting. Sorry if this is not the case, I didn't read anything to contradict that, but I certainly could have missed it unintentionally.

Derek

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
I understand the KTM deal; suzuki does the same thing on their SM, but this was a mistake plain and simple. To add insult to injury it was a mistake that Yamaha is not willing to fix :rant

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts

·
TechnoPhiliac
421 Posts
Saw On Ebay a wiring harness. Also, there is a outfit that sells bike parts on there, that have 07 parts available. Just thought I would throw that in there. It could be a start Adamsys!! Harness was 40 bucks, just wondering who's got the ECU.............
Yeah, I saw that. Getting ready to snipe that! (Just need the pins in the connector.) I also have the scan tool ordered, too. So we'll be getting started with the serious stuff soon.

·
TechnoPhiliac
421 Posts
I think this is the emmisions test... but can't seem to make any sense out of the procedure yet:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=ac4383ccc1adf36401605453c74391dc&rgn=div6&view=text&node=40:18.0.1.1.1.6&idno=40

Anyway, there is a part that mentions to use manufacturer recommended shift points, which for the 07 R1, would be..

1-2: 12.5 mph
2-3: 18.8 mph
3-4: 25.0 mph
4-5: 31.3 mph
5-6: 37.5 mph

Ok... so that can't be what they use in the test.

Derek
Good work, Derek! I'll take a look more carefully when I get a chance. I have seen the EPA routine run of cars at the time of inspection renewal. I assume there is something similar for bikes.

·
Been there, Done that, Twice
684 Posts
I think this is the emmisions test... but can't seem to make any sense out of the procedure yet:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=ac4383ccc1adf36401605453c74391dc&rgn=div6&view=text&node=40:18.0.1.1.1.6&idno=40

Anyway, there is a part that mentions to use manufacturer recommended shift points, which for the 07 R1, would be..

1-2: 12.5 mph
2-3: 18.8 mph
3-4: 25.0 mph
4-5: 31.3 mph
5-6: 37.5 mph

Ok... so that can't be what they use in the test.

Derek
There's the proof Yami is not telling the truth. It's 10+ MPH off the target spot for the issue. What a bunch of bastards.

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
There's the proof Yami is not telling the truth. It's 10+ MPH off the target spot for the issue. What a bunch of bastards.
Those shift points come from the 07 R1 owners manual, page 5-3. I am not sure how they come up with these ridiculous numbers. I imagine the EPA must not use these shift points and then make up there own. I don't know.

Derek

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
Those shift points come from the 07 R1 owners manual, page 5-3. I am not sure how they come up with these ridiculous numbers. I imagine the EPA must not use these shift points and then make up there own. I don't know.

Derek
Yeah that Makes no Sence Seemign that The Shift points mentioned doesn'tt even Match the Stock Shift light settings, so whats going on Here!!!:confused:

·
4,089 Posts
Yo THEBFA,

I never thought of keeping it in the power band, you must be a rocket scientist. Ounce you are in the lag downshifting to first didn't make my lag stop. You must not have tried it or you would know that doesn't work.
I just got my bike 8 days ago and I already put 600 miles on it and did my first service. I have been commuting on it, doing easy rides, riding hard, and put it through its paces. I have only had the problem ONCE after many attempts to purposely find it. If so many of you are so bothered from it, you should change up your riding style at least until a fix is found or whatever. I don't ride ridiculously, but obviously, something I'm doing keeps the issue from arising. As far as I can tell, you have to be starting at around 5500 in 2nd to get the lag. It hasn't happened for me if I'm going through that rev range. If you don't like riding at higher rpms, shift to 3rd before 5500. It's very easy to ride the bike normally and avoid the problem spot.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
I just got my bike 8 days ago and I already put 600 miles on it and did my first service. I have been commuting on it, doing easy rides, riding hard, and put it through its paces. I have only had the problem ONCE after many attempts to purposely find it. If so many of you are so bothered from it, you should change up your riding style at least until a fix is found or whatever. I don't ride ridiculously, but obviously, something I'm doing keeps the issue from arising. As far as I can tell, you have to be starting at around 5500 in 2nd to get the lag. It hasn't happened for me if I'm going through that rev range. If you don't like riding at higher rpms, shift to 3rd before 5500. It's very easy to ride the bike normally and avoid the problem spot.
:repo:
Dont start with That Now, thats Sooooo 25 Pages ago!!
We are here for a Fix. Not a "How to Avoid the Lag"
it obviously can be avoided , as i ride everyday!
However that will not fix the problem, nor will it help you When that truck runs the red light and your @ 55Krpm in 2nd gear without noticing you Grab thottle and before you can count the 4 second lag, they are counting your body parts on the Street!!!$.02r

·
//Low-Life\\
24,812 Posts
Yeah that Makes no Sence Seemign that The Shift points mentioned doesn'tt even Match the Stock Shift light settings, so whats going on Here!!!:confused:
:repo:
Dont start with That Now, thats Sooooo 25 Pages ago!!
We are here for a Fix. Not a "How to Avoid the Lag"
it obviously can be avoided , as i ride everyday!
However that will not fix the problem, nor will it help you When that truck runs the red light and your @ 55Krpm in 2nd gear without noticing you Grab thottle and before you can count the 4 second lag, they are counting your body parts on the Street!!!$.02r
Take your own advice J.

·
My R1 Tries To Buck Me
34 Posts
I ride about 120 miles a day, and I can confirm: YOU CAN'T RIDE AROUND THE PROBLEM ALL OF THE TIME...and it really does affect my riding at all times...instead of instinctively accelerating, and maneuvering the bike, I have to check to make sure I'm not in the lag range, and since we can only focus on a finite number of variables at one time, some of my focus is taken away from other important areas, such as checking on all lanes of traffic....THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE, and it makes riding just a bit less fun too....I've decided that this, my third, will be my last Yamaha, even if they decide to meet their financial/moral/legal obligations in the future...it's already been too long that Yamaha has been ignoring and disrespecting their loyal customers...just look at this site...so, so many enthusiastic R1 fans talking about all the joys of owning an R1, and then look at Yamaha's response to problems that started this thread(no meaningful response)......I hope that Yamaha realizes that readers of this forum are avoiding the new R1 in large numbers, and that at least one R1 owner(me), will never recommend that anyone ever buy a Yamaha.

·
No doot aboot it eh?
1,540 Posts
hopefully at minimum yamaha will blow our minds with an 08 model thats next to no other liter bike! well wishful thinking !!
Yeah, I'm sure that will make me feel better....:drunk:

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
Yamaha correcting the problem on the 08 will do nothing more than royally piss me off. Expect no new model, the R1 has never had only a one year life span, but I do expect that the problem will be fixed :rant

-------------
For those of you who like the problem, have only hit ONCE, or are OK with being screwed by Yamaha, please STAY THE FOOK OFF THIS THREAD :rant There are those of us who are bothered by the problem, and want it fixed!!!!! Feel free to start your own thread about liking the lag :yesnod This has been said repeatively, and I assume if you can post, than you can read :dunno

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Yamaha correcting the problem on the 08 will do nothing more than royally piss me off. Expect no new model, the R1 has never had only a one year life span, but I do expect that the problem will be fixed :rant

-------------
For those of you who like the problem, have only hit ONCE, or are OK with being screwed by Yamaha, please STAY THE FOOK OFF THIS THREAD :rant There are those of us who are bothered by the problem, and want it fixed!!!!! Feel free to start your own thread about liking the lag :yesnod This has been said repeatively, and I assume if you can post, than you can read :dunno
The only good thing that will come of that is if they make no other changes except fix the ECU, then I can make my dealer pony up and pay for an 08 ECU for me.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I agree and it would be nice if we had a fooking moderator around here to take care of this shiat. Funny how the somethings get taken care of in 5 seconds and somethings never.

·
//Low-Life\\
24,812 Posts
I agree and it would be nice if we had a fooking moderator around here to take care of this shiat. Funny how the somethings get taken care of in 5 seconds and somethings never.
I have personally deleted 323 post in this thread, Only thing left to do is lock it up.

1841 - 1860 of 1861 Posts
About this Discussion
1.9K Replies
203 Participants
SpidermanSS
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing