Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my '07 used, was only given 1 key, the spare. pain in the ass i know. my question is can i just order some Yamaha blanks off amazon and have a key cutter copy the key i have? I have read there is an immobilizer on the '07 but cant find any solid info on it... anyone have any info? does this year have an immobilizer chip in the key?
again I was only given 1 key. (no red key, no standard key with the Yamaha emblem on it, just the black spare key black upside down triangle shaped spare key)

·
Registered
659 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the immobilizer is European (Canadian too?) models only. If you have the immobilizer I'm not sure how you proceed, but otherwise just get a blank key cut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think im gonna order a blank off amazon and have it cut and see what happens, im with you, i dont think it has the immobilizer on it, after further reading into the manual, it shows on a diagram #10 is a light where the tach is that is the immobilizer light.. My bike dosent have this light so im guessing no need to worry... Ill have a key cut and see what happens..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi , I’m over in the uk . They come new here with three keys two black and one red the master key , all three keys have a chip in them for the immobiliser, if it’s fitted with an immobiliser it will not start without the correct coded chipped key , when you switch it if a little red light flashes for three mins approx then goes out but it’s still immobilised until you start her again with the coded key ,,, if you can start and run it ok and there’s not light flashing when switch of ,, it has not got an immobiliser fitted bro and cool to just get a key cut duplicates made ,,, a pain living in the uk lol if you want a key cut lol need the red master key to code a chipped key dealer only grrrrrrr

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
I think im gonna order a blank off amazon and have it cut and see what happens, im with you, i dont think it has the immobilizer on it, after further reading into the manual, it shows on a diagram #10 is a light where the tach is that is the immobilizer light.. My bike dosent have this light so im guessing no need to worry... Ill have a key cut and see what happens..
From my experience find a actual locksmith and have them cut the key. I had 2 cut for spares and they both worked perfectly. Before that, I went to a shoe repair store which had a "we cut keys" sign in the window. Key didn't work and it was a wasted $12 for that blank key and another $5 for the so called cutting service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Kevap! I ordered 2 blanks of amazon and they should be here tomorrow, then ill have an actual locksmith cut em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts