Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock R1 with race baffles, k&n filter, gut mid pipe and mapped powercommander. Looking to add nitrous. Im a recreational driver and not looking for the world. Probably a dry kit. Read all the post and still have a few questions.

I know not to use it in lower gears, only at full throttle and not near the limiter.
The map with have to be ritchened at full throttle and together with the right jet will give me the proper hp increase. Looking for 30hp?

Questions:
once the button is pressed how long does the shoot last?
During a shot if you need to slow down or even stop?
Approx how many shots with a 30hp shot on a 1lb tank?
I see people wiring it to the horn, which I dont understand, if some actually wants to use the horn?
Is there a way to wire it where it will only shot while the button is pressed and as long as it is pressed?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Questions:
once the button is pressed how long does the shoot last?

last as long as u hold button down... or till u run out of nitrous... its high pressure gas.. so as soon as u let off button.. almost instantly..its stops pulling hard and back to normal power.

During a shot if you need to slow down or even stop?
u just let off. the solenoid is electric. soon as u let off. it closes. bike is completely normal. no problem.

Approx how many shots with a 30hp shot on a 1lb tank?

depends on what u call shot.. how long u hold button. with 40...and 2lb bottle. i get 3-4 full 1/4 mile passes... starting in frst gear. with 30 dry and 1 lb bottle, hitting nitrous in 2nd gear and going thru gears... i would say you could get 3-4 out of bottle. maybe more. lots depends on if bottle is very full, temp of bottle. its gas.. so in shade nitrous is like 6-700 psi... heat it up with warmer or out in sun.. nitrous is 900-1000 lbs... get better shot and more power...when bottle pressure is up past 900.

I see people wiring it to the horn, which I dont understand, if some actually wants to use the horn?
kit comes with 3 way toggle switch.. when normal riding, the switch is in position A, push horn button.. horn works. when ur racing. you switch is to position B, push button... nitrous comes on. this way you can keep your horn and have button for nitrous

Is there a way to wire it where it will only shot while the button is pressed and as long as it is pressed?

thats how its done anyways. the nitrous solenoid is 12 volt electric solenoid. its closed until 12 volts is applied(or ground applied both to it)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
dry shot is easiest. 30 shot is safe. put it in airbox, before airfilter. that way it will flow to all cylinders equally, also it will get to AIT(air intake sensor) and it will sense cold air and add little fuel. running different map is not bad idea... adding 5-10% to 100% TPS values in rpms you are going to use nitrous. not bad idea if ur gonna spray it often.. that when you do.. you run little better fuel.. u can do it on pump fuel.. but you might mix in a little race fuel too.. like 50-50. take gallon of pump fuel and gallon of VP C-12. its not mandatory... but if you spray it alot... good idea to have litte more octane in it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! Thankyou so much! That cleared up everything!

The only other question that came to mind. Has anyone tried to install 1lb bottle or 10oz bottle underneath the tail section running parallel with the exhaust cans. Running stock cans so have lots of room? Or any other sugestions on nice clean install point. Underseat is full, Alarm and heads up?

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
there are some pics here of bottle between exhaust... and some with bottle in trunk area. small bottles.. like 1 lb or smaller.. but if you look hard enuff and search.. you can find pics. its tight fit in trunk. ive seen ones with bottle mounted on outside in between 2 exhaust as well.

·
GvillefloridaR1
623 Posts
Hello guys.... I am also looking to put nos on my 07 r1. The only thing I have done so far is drop a tooth in the front and bmc race filter.... I dont have the 1800$ for a full system so I am starting with Mccoys dry shot system for some horsepower.The previous questions answered alot but I am just wondering if I am going for over kill with this.. Do I need to have anything else done to the bike b4 I put nos on it? And I know this is a newb question but what are race baffles and what do they do?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont want anyone flaming me, because im cheap i loved the outcome of the gut cat found in the "how to" section and the sound and feel of the a&r race baffles also found in the "how to" section. You can google it. but you will need a powercommander III. Total should be around $500.

1longR1, I really appreciate your answers, Thanks again!!

I am definately going to do it and will post pics along the way in a step by step. These forums have helped me and would love to give back when I can.

Im sure this thread will help a lot of people as well.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
power commander is not mandatory.. but remember.. little too lean.. and melt piston.. better safer than sorry. i run wet kit... so it adds nitrous and fuel.. its more work.. but safer.. tho for big shots mostly. i ran 2 years with race baffles, gutted cat. and no powercommmander. matter fact the dyno run in my signature that made 217 with controller set at 60%(its jetted for 100hp) was with gutted cat only.. still had stock mufflers, no pc... nothing. but i dont live at sea level, so stock fueling was rich anyways... closer to sea level. more fuel and air bike needs. so what works for one at high altitude.. doesnt work for someone at sea level.

really what u have is perfect. dry shot on 07, with gutted cat, race baffles, and powercommander. that will put you little over 200 Hp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.