Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 07 R1. Bike runs great, but practically everyday, when I first crank it in the morning it wont start. Now I know the 07's have that weird starter issue, where they kind of do a double take when the engine fires. But this is before that. Everything is on, lights are on, it cranks but never actually ignites. This happens more often when its colder out and its been standing longer. But when i say standing, i mean like 2 days tops. Its my daily commuter so its ran practically everyday.

Any guesses? I have a weird feeling it has something to do with the fuel pump cause i feel like when its lower on gas it does it more often. As if after sitting longer, the fuel isnt being pumped far enough for it to actually get to the engine. Once it does, actually turn over, it doesnt die or anything. It runs perfectly as usual.

1. So yes the battery is good and not dead.
2. Yes theres fuel.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just because the battery isn't dead, doesn't mean it's good. Starter pulls a lot of amperage. Did you measure the voltage on the battery with the bike off, idling, and revved?

How many miles, what kind of mods, and is maintenance all current on the bike?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havent measured the amperage but can do this weekend. What should it read at the 3 stages?

8k miles, Akrapovic slip ons, and maintenance is up to date.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You'll want to measure voltage at the battery, not amperage.
With the bike off a healthy and charged battery should read at least 12.8V. At 5k RPM it should be about 14-14.5V. Can't remember the measurement for idle, but it should be somewhere between the two.

BTW, nice low-mileage 07! I've got 3x that many miles lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE! So after switching the battery out, it worked for a while. And then it died. Completely. Wouldnt even turn over. So it turns out, contrary to what my mechanic was saying, it was the starter. Any advice on replacing this? I m using Ricks Rebuild Kit. Its about a 1/3 of the cost of a brand new OEM starter. Will attempt to DIY this week. Wish me luck ! LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update to the Update! It was totally the starter. The rebuild kit from Ricks worked great. Just FYI, when buying a Brand New Old bike, like I did (07 r1 with 2600 miles bought 1 year ago), the plastic/rubber bits is what you need to be worried about. And to prove my point, the original starter was full of oil because the rubber gaskets had failed and let squirts of oil spill in. Thus ruining the starter. Oh and its FUCKEN tough to get that starter out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts