Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick this 07 up a few weeks ago. Went for a long ride with some friends. Took a few stops along the way. Last stop, i turn the key, bike primes, push button to start it.... notta. Not even a clicking sound

Bike got pretty hot a few times will riding due to sitting at a light or so forth. Thinking heat soaked starter maybe? But why am i not even getting a clicking noise, would that be the relay?

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
A set of conditions must be met to enable the starter relay.

Cycle in and out of neutral, cycle the kick stand up and down and back up, cycle the clutch, and cycle the handlebar stop switch.

Try it with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled.

Does it have an alarm? Does the dash light up normally?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A set of conditions must be met to enable the starter relay.

Cycle in and out of neutral, cycle the kick stand up and down and back up, cycle the clutch, and cycle the handlebar stop switch.

Try it with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled.

Does it have an alarm? Does the dash light up normally?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I did try stand up and down, even tried adding pressure to stand, pulled and push on the button even.

Cycled gears, key, kill switch, ignition button, clutch, brakes even, still no luck

Battery is good as couldnt find meter so put a brand new one in

Dash lights up normally, can hear fuel pump prime, but thats about it. Not clicking sound or anything when i push ignition switch

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
Hold select and reset while turning the key on, continue to hold for 8 seconds until you see "diag" then release.
Press select once
Press and hold both buttons for 2 seconds until diagnostic mode is activated and you should see "d01"

Use select to toggle up to d20
Put the bike in gear, now you should get "on" with the kickstand up and "off" with the kickstand down

Use select to toggle up to d21
Neutral = "on"
In gear = "off"
You might also get "on" with kickstand up and clutch pulled

Use select to toggle up to d61
Record any codes flashing

Use select to toggle up to d62
Cycle the handlebar stop switch to clear codes

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

Reactions: FeedMetal

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When got big brain helping ya 🥰. Imma give this a shot tonight more than likely (bike stays in a climate controlled shop, bit of a drive to get there). I keep you posted with what i come up with! I appriciate the help a lot!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully that fixes your issue. I had the same type of issue and took it to the shop a few weeks ago. About two miles from the shop I lost all throttle control and had to idle in at 9 miles an hour the final two miles. The mechanic told me that there is a short somewhere in the main wiring harness. It took a lot of searching to find another harness since the manufacturers no longer make parts for these bikes after ten years. I am still waiting for them to swap out the harness and let me know if that fixes everything.

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt have time to head to the shop yesterday but had a buddy check for me quick.

Before diag mode. ER 4 came up

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
Interesting! I've never come across one of those before. Was he able to get through the diagnostic steps as well or stuck on Er-4?
Pages from manual attached. Check connectors A and B on the left side of the bike behind the left fairing near the fuse panel. You can access these without taking the fairing all the way off.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think he was able to get past the ER-4 code. Heading out to the shop in a few mins to check it out myself

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the mess 🤦‍♂️. Checked connections. They all nice and locked.

i feel its gotta be like relay or something. All fuses are good.

about to pull the two wires from the startrr button amd clap em togother and see if its the switch. Pretty annoyed rn. More i open more mess i find
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust
Outerwear Blue White Green Black
Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Automotive design Hood
Automotive tire Finger Gas Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also notice a constant low key beeping noise like an alarm a bit coming from near coils

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Er-4 - communication error with the dashboard;
Er4 = unknown signal from the engine control unit

Thinking new dash or ecu?

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
I would still unplug/inspect closely/connect those plugs. Make sure none of the pins are pushed back in the connector. Go ahead and inspect the ECU connectors for recessed pins as well.

Looks like a similar setup to mine, I have a speedohealer, battery tender lead, and PC, although I think mine is a 3.

Do you know what the other additions are on the battery terminal? PC, speedohealer, battery tender, and 2 more?

What's the green wire for?

If your PC is connected to your ECU harness with a T-Tap, I recommend replacing with a better connector or solder. Not your issue now, but it could be one day.

Make sure the negative leads on the battery are placed as best they can be and torqued, and that they aren't being pressed against by the seat.

Go ahead and pop your windscreen off and unplug the dash, inspect, clean, connect.

I don't see a relay being the Er-4 issue, as comms with the dash from the ECU are directly wired.

I also doubt the start switch is bad. although you might consider opening the handlebar stop switch and inspecting the contacts inside.

I did have a speedohealer go bad and cause some weird issues on the dash. You might consider disconnecting all those accessories for now until you find the issue.

What's the second DynoJet unit? Quick shifter?

Does it have an alarm?

Edit:
Unrelated, but that mess in the tail can definitely use some TLC!

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will attach what was in the kijiji post when i looked at it.

PC5
autotune
Speedohealer
Trickle charger
Led headlights
Integrated taillight
From what i can see

That one brown runs to the ecu and the pc5 i believe
Green Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Electric blue

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
Is that grey wire with tape going to the white wire to the ECU? If so that's the Power Commander throttle sensor line. It should be soldered or connected with a high quality connector.

I see the brown wire is on ground. The green wire goes to the other Dynojet module? Doesn't look like part of the PCV install.

Interested to know how it looks behind the dash. With the speedohealer addition and LED headlights we know work has been performed in that area. Possible something isn't right there, or someone could have nicked a wire accidentally when using zip ties.

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was hungry and frustrated so called it a day for today. Gonna pull windshield and that later today or tomorrow and check EVERYTHING. pretty annoyed rn cause spent all last year working in my r6 just for someone to steal it in feb. Scoop this bike now nothing but problems... i just wanna ride 😔 F lol

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that grey wire with tape going to the white wire to the ECU? If so that's the Power Commander throttle sensor line. It should be soldered or connected with a high quality connector.

I see the brown wire is on ground. The green wire goes to the other Dynojet module? Doesn't look like part of the PCV install.

Interested to know how it looks behind the dash. With the speedohealer addition and LED headlights we know work has been performed in that area. Possible something isn't right there, or someone could have nicked a wire accidentally when using zip ties.
Looked like was just spliced and tapped. Will dig into it tomorrow. Mess of wires everywhere. So def check behind the dash and the headlights. Must have something grounding out somewhere or something

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Next time just save some time and get a volt meter. See if the trigger wire for the starter relay is getting power when u hit the switch. If yes then relay if no then see if powers coming out of handle switch. If no see if powers going in. You just move up the line with the meter and you will take half an hour to find this issue instead of days randomly checking looms for nicks n cuts. I bought a "power probe" basically a test light that shows if there's power or ground in a wire and let's you inject power or ground into a wire, life changing. D

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha R1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
When you find the issue and then some drunk a hole decides to run into the street and push you off the bike as you riding... amazing times i tell yeah.... needless to say i need fairings and 100p a tail section now.... epic.

Drinkware Hood Automotive lighting Blue Purple

1 - 20 of 23 Posts