Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to turbo my 2008 R1.

I got the bike non running about a year ago dirt cheap, all black, scuffs on the panels, sat for a year, new ECU, new keys etc (owner trying to fix the no start issue), old as heck tires, leaking front fork seals, clogged up fuel tank among a host of other issues. New to the R1 scene I researched potential causes for non starting and tickled off all the common issues, got out my multi meter and found the cause to be that the immobilizer key reader was only picking up 5v instead of 12v from a broken wire.. rewired and boom.. 2008 R1 dirt cheap.
Once running I tore the bike down to its frame, found it was a repairable write off #, and swapped to a clean title frame. With the motor up on a stand in pulled the head, swapped to a race head gasket, cleaned the pistons, ported and polished the head, re-shimmed the buckets, cleaned and replaced seals, fluids, spark plugs, smog block off plates, cat delete mid pipe, welded the slipper clutch, manual cam chain tensioner, cleaned and oiled the K&N filter, fixed up the airbox "race" mod, scrubbed and cleaned every inch of the bike, new chain and sprockets, new RS10 tires, braided brake lines, replaced the front end with the 6 piston calipers on the 320mm discs, new brake pads, new fork seals, heavier fork oil, new E85 fuel pump setup along with cleaning the tank and replacing the hanger with a non clogged unit.. installed a gear indicator and added the auto tune to the power commander, bought all new Candy apple red fairings for her and away I went!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Black

Purple Yellow Glove Sleeve Personal protective equipment

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

Literally all work to date done myself so its only a $5k AUD bike so far.

After playing with the tune and learning the bike, its time to stretch her legs to the next step (I love the thrill of speed if you haven't guessed) and happen to have a spare Borg warner turbo laying around.. naturally.. its turbo time!

The Build is up on my Insta and Youtube; CARLS_AU

Stay Tuned!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first mod working towards the turbo setup is the Wideband gauge and switches. I welded up and painted a stainless bracket to suit and here's the result! The hardest part was managing a functional spot to keep it all without hindering speedo view and making the switches easily accessible while riding. the switches are for: Manual radiator fan over ride, ECU map switching (spicey tune) & switching the exhaust cut out.. so the turbo will be routed back up into the Yoshimura carbon mufflers but with an electric exhaust cut out under the belly.

Proof of concept and practical location:
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Completed installation:
Speedometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Odometer

The old PCV & autotune setup which I'm selling on along with the OEM ECU as I'll be running the haltech elite 1500 (to maintain the DBW setup these motors utilize - a bit part of boost management!)
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Red

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo mock up and placement!

Bloody hard to find a spot for a turbo on this bike given the radiator hose setup and oem water/oil cooler. I'm thinking ill move to an external air/oil cooler setup to save space and to lessen the loading on the all ready taxed coolant system. Moving to an external cooler should allow more room for the external wastegate to tuck up under the bike as ill be welding it direct to the turbo exhaust housing for the best exhaust priority and boost management.

So this is the turbo I have laying about, a Borg warner K16 T2 flange turbo. Roughly a T28 sized turbo. You can see I'm also playing with lowering the bike.. probably 25-30mm to keep the ability to still take some turns..
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The ideal location.. almost.. I think ill try to move it forwards and lower to keep the weight in a position to help keep the front wheel down.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Hoping to minimize cutting up the fairings too much and i think I should be safe.
Photograph White Automotive tire Light Product

Welded up a fixture for better visual reference and planning.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

It'll be tight to get the exhaust run back to the Yoshimura setup and fit an electric exhaust cut out.. but we'll see how we go
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

I'm hoping to manage to squeeze a 4-1 merge collector in here too.. sure a log style manifold would suit but where's the challenge!?
Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Metal

It was at this point I really noticed that its quite a large turbo 🤣
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Asphalt Machine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3D printed some flanges and 1 1/4" spec Schedule 10 stainless steam pipe elbows to mock up the manifold. Tight but manageable.. Just winging it with the radiator clearances as its something I can deal with later. The radiator has a bit of room for swinging forwards on it two top mounts so should be fine.

Dummy fitting the 44mm external wastegate.. She's big!

Vehicle Gas Auto part Aircraft Bumper

You can see the oil cooler and coolant lines take up a lot of valuable real-estate, however there's plenty of room to move the turbo forwards of the engine unlike my Hyosung GT650R LAMS bike that I turbo'd, the V-Twin left minimal space between the turbo, front wheel and engine!
Motor vehicle Red Gas Engineering Machine

I bought a Creality Ender 7printer and this is actually the quality straight out of the box with no setup or calibration. Pretty impressed!
Glove Gas Personal protective equipment Electric blue Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plumbing valve Engineering Gas

Super tight fit, think ill make the merge collector a little longer to place the turbo lower still..
Leg Gesture Thigh Gas Electric blue

44mm External wastegate tacked on for fitment testing, all though a big gate, there's just enough room and perfect placement for a tear drop dump pipe exiting down on the left hand side within the bounds of the lower cowl.
This should put on a wild show banging between gears with the quick shifter 😁
Gas Machine Engineering Automotive tire Camera accessory

If only it were as easy to just glue manifolds together! So here im testing out the merge collector jig I made for the band saw.. and it works perfectly
Red Gas Wood Composite material Tints and shades

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts