Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Somebody stole my pants.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this could just be panic or stupidity about my driving. But for some strange reason my R1 dies on me from time to time. I have had the bike since Friday and only have been on it then and tonight (Monday). For some reason it dies on me every now and then. It has done it 4 times and I am only at 140 miles on it. Maybe it is something abut break in? It does it whenever I am coming to a stop, I pull in the clutch shift to 1st and it dies. Anyone have a clue?

As for the right clip on, whenever the weight shifts, as in accelerating or stopping, the right front clip on moves making a clicking sound? Is this something I should take to the dealer and demand it be fixed ASAP or what? Not sure if this is common of not.

I have been riding a Ninja 500 since 2002, before that use to ride my dads sport bikes, and now I am riding my R1 and my friends R6. So far his does not have the dyeing problem or the right clip on problem. That is why I am asking. Thank you very much for your help.

Yes I did search but could not find what I was looking for sorry if this is a repost.

·
Mmmmm, Stone chippy
40 Posts
Sounds like they haven't fixed the problem from the '07s. Mine did the same thing but only started at about 6000km. Does yours have a power commander on it? I fixed mine by putting a new map on it and and changing the closed throttle position down a step. Apparently adjusting the TPS can also solve it if you don't have a PCIII. Go back to the dealer mate.
Its really disappointing that yamaha haven't fixed this issue yet.

If you look throught this section there are two threads on this subject.

·
Somebody stole my pants.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a PC on it yet. Will take it to the dealer asap. Will call them in the morning thank you for your help.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
About the cutting out,

I bought my 07 new and had it happened a couple of times, as soon as the engine gets warm, it started to idle lower and then occasionally stalled, at first I thought it was something I did, I worked around it for bit, timing lights, giving a bit of throttle coming to a halt.

With my first service I told the dealer about it, I had GYTR slip ons and filter fitted and since then no problems, she runs well, no glitches or any other hassles.

Take it back to the dealer, I'm sure mapping will solve the problem aswell.

:thumbup Good luck, I hope your ride gets sorted.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
I had the same problem. Stalled when pulling up at the lights etc.

I did a first service, but at the same time added some slipons, PC3 and an Airfilter (among a few other things) and it hasn't skipped a beat since.

But I didn't go back to Yamaha... I have a fairly competent mechanic that makes them look silly :)

·
Somebody stole my pants.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thank you all, I think I will take it back to the dealer to have them look at it, and to fix the clip on and tell me what is wrong with it.

·
Somebody stole my pants.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer says that they have had a few problems like this. They are calling their Yamaha Rep and talking to them about it. The guy I was talking to said most people get it fixed when they get the new ECU I think. After reading the other threads I think I am going to check into my clutch adjustment a little better. Only slightly checked it, did not do a very good job. Thanks everyone.

Also I got the right clip on fixed, he said the dealer I bought it form had not got it on their properly. If I keep haveing troubles like this I think I am going to ring the dealers neck wher eI purchased it. :saw:

·
My R1 hasn't killed me yet.
134 Posts
Both of my clip ons were loose, all I did was get the tool bag out and tighten them down myself. When removing the battery for storage/charging I found the negative battery terminal was just barely finger tight. I will have to go through the bike to check for other loose bolts.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
Same for me once at a traffic junction, adjust my clutch freeplay....then again everything it's ok.

·
TechnoPhiliac
419 Posts
Ok this could just be panic or stupidity about my driving. But for some strange reason my R1 dies on me from time to time.
I've got 8000 miles on my 07. When I first picked it up, I stalled it 3 times right in front of the guy who handed it over to me. Clutch adjustment was a big part of that: its was set to engage just off the grip and I like just the opposite, just near the stop. But even after I adjusted it I was still stalling it every once in a while and usually at the most embarrassing moments.

The 07 had that ECU replacement and that made the bike pull better in the mid RPM but didn't effect the stalling at the light.

But what I did notice is my fuel mileage improved drastically as it broke it! Maybe it was a coincidence or a combination of factors but the stalling became less of an issue the more I rode it. Still does it but not much more that on my KZ650 with 40,000 miles on it (over 30K I put on it).

Hope that helps.

PS change your oil and filter at 200 miles instead of the recommended 600. Mine was FILTHY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.