Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting my wife somewhere and noticed boot And pant legs full of oil. Oil cap came off. What would be the most common damage to the bike.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
an engine can run a full half hour w/out any oil.. the oil cap is up top.. unless your oil pan drain plug came off, i would not worry about it.. pull out your clutch fibers and inspect for heat damage. it sounds like you did not run your engine without oil.. any smoke? doubt it.

remaining oil in engine while running, ie: lubrication is generally still very effective (depending on age of oil) but should be doing its job until said remaining oil simply burns up from metal/metal friction at which time you would know there is something wrong, it should start to smoke out the exhaust.

MY 2014 Raider S has an oil reservoir up top, it feeds oil into the engine via an oil pump.
the crank case itself has 2 oil drain plugs at bottom, crank case collects oil as it drips
down off the engine which requires 2 liters of the slick stuff. Total oil fill is 5.2 liters though
so you've got 2.7L of oil as spare, in case of emergency. I lost the crank case oil drain plug
due to stripping. I used up all the oil.. LOLz engine never even cared, it ran just fine. I could
feel shifting from 1st into 2nd felt a little more notchy but other than that I didnt even know it
had happened. We're adding inserts to said crank case drain plugs to be safe.

when we stopped at a gas station, a bunch of oil leaked out the drain hole, it was obvious
that oil was cursing through the engine. Engine sounded a little louder but again, unless
paid attention you'd never know anything was wrong.

i had 100% fresh Rotella T6 5w40. I had run the engine to warm up and topped up as
required as we set off that morning, so yeah it was lubricated. That is what matters.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,016 Posts
If the oil level warning light didn't come on, you'r most probably fine 👍

As long as the oil pump can suck enough oil it will remain oil pressure and that's what's important..

As soon as oil pressure drop the cam, conrod and main bearings are at high risk, a broken bearing will make a knocking (especialy at load) or grinding noise.

If the warning light came on but no strange sound i suggest you drain the engine oil and look for metal flakes and shavings in the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine started making funny noise and lose of power, pulled of oil pan and found small bronze small fine shavings. Could it be just clutch or is it going to be bearings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine started making funny noise and lose of power, pulled of oil pan and found small bronze small fine shavings. Could it be just clutch or is it going to be bearings

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,016 Posts
Sorry to bring the bad news.. (probably).

New noises arn't good..
The clutch won't be effected directly by the oil loss.

The conecting rod big end bearings are one of the first to give up, will make a klonking noise when at load, if it knock at idle, the bearing is all gone.
Main bearings of crank shaft will probably also give up but worst is the camshaft bearings, which is machined right in to the cylinder head..

You probably have to tear down the entire engine and hope the cylinder head and crank shaft is okay.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
ahhh, ugghhh.. yeah if you heard funny noises (other than just louder engine due to lack of oil)
that could be bad news.. I'm surprised you would lose that much oil just out of the oil fill hole..

On the R1 you should have felt the hot oil on the leg a lot sooner than that.

Reactions: Tad158 and 1202067

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I had an emergency to get too and couldn’t stop after I seen it was leaking and going about 120. It was either engine or wife loosing her job😖but thanks anyhow. Had already put it in my head that. engine was coming off.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
well, i hate to post positive news in an related matter as it may not be the case for OP.

we had to lift the engine a couple of inches to gain access to the drain bolts on my Raider S.

its the crank case that lost oil drain bolt, but up front.. pulled off the 2nd toward the back and a bunch of oil came out.. we'll have to lean the bike to get it all out.. The pickup pump had oil to work with. Then we pulled the cylinder covers and there was oil all over the place, at the highest point of the engine. Yeh, nothing to worry about in my case, but of course its a completely different setup. All completely fresh oil no less, i'll have to source out an oil pressure dial for future. just in case, but we're tapping in for new Time-Sert inserts so i'll never run into this again.

chances are there will be 'other' work done to this engine in the future,
so i'm gonna hope for the best and ride. It does help i've got extra oil
but it would have been nice to notice earlier, I would have shut it off immediately.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Change the oil and filter and cut open the filter and look for any metal shavings. Not much you can do at this point except cross your fingers. You either ride it anyways till it gives out and just see how it is OR you replace or rebuild it.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
not sure who you're responding to w/out a quote.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
To op. I guess check your filter is good advice for anyone who is scared of oil issues though lol

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
ok, thought so,.. yeah most i'm doing is spraying some foggin' oil in the cylinders

and keeping an eye on engine till winter.. I will likely crack open my oil
filter as well but it wont be now.. its brand spankin new so no point in wasting.

took the opportunity to toss some fresh sparkies in there..

Time-Sert hardened metal inserts worked like a charm on my drain plugs.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Engine started making funny noise and lose of power, pulled of oil pan and found small bronze small fine shavings. Could it be just clutch or is it going to be bearings
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but those fine bronze shavings will be bearings, not clutch. You're gonna need to throw some new bearings in there soon, and get your crank looked at.

Reactions: bacchus40

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
for what its worth.. it appears the slick gods saved my arse. By now we've drilled/tapped
and applied TIMESERT inserts to remedy the culprit of my little adventure. New oil drains
on the crank look great! new crush washers and its easy as ever to apply bolts. Tighten to spec.

Alas we went for a good 10 hour ride today.. nothing wrong with the engine at all, no odd noises
no high temps, no backfiring, no knocking... shifts smooth as I remember, revs nice and solid.

MPG is bang on / par with what i'd tuned for before. i'm glad we realized what happened,
i wasnt surprised, would have been nice to not have it happen, but i'm glad i got my
Raider S towed home. She's good :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts