Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by yamaha today to check on my bike and had a talk with an official yamaha engineer (he was here to train the guys). I told him about the power issue and he confirmed that the ECU doesn't deliver full power in first under 7k RPM.

He said it was done more for safety reasons.

and about my bike.. they gotta replace entire left fairings, mirror, front rim, handle, side stand, rear wheel frame, exhaust, fuel tank :dundun:

what sucks is that they don't have a 2008 parts catalogue or any parts for the 2008 model, so its gonna take a while. I told them to stick 2007 parts on it but they insisted that the parts were different. when i asked them about the difference, they went blank .. apart from fairings/color change.

· The Original One
2,291 Posts
I stopped by yamaha today to check on my bike and had a talk with an official yamaha engineer (he was here to train the guys). I told him about the power issue and he confirmed that the ECU doesn't deliver full power in first under 7k RPM.

He said it was done more for safety reasons.

and about my bike.. they gotta replace entire left fairings, mirror, front rim, handle, side stand, rear wheel frame, exhaust, fuel tank :dundun:

what sucks is that they don't have a 2008 parts catalogue or any parts for the 2008 model, so its gonna take a while. I told them to stick 2007 parts on it but they insisted that the parts were different. when i asked them about the difference, they went blank .. apart from fairings/color change.
Please excuse me if I missed it but, why is Yamaha looking and why do all these parts need replacing?

TIA
I looked at the titles of your other posts but it didn't jump out at me

· Thread Killer
1,868 Posts
If they can't give you a straight answer on why the 07 fairings won't fit the unchanged 08 model, I don't know that I would believe some hearsay about the 08 R1 being "weak" under 7k in 1st gear for safety reasons. That sounds to me like the curse of the yamaha; lack of low and mid range.

Also, since when do big corporations care more about safety over money unless it was government imposed safety.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they can't give you a straight answer on why the 07 fairings won't fit the unchanged 08 model, I don't know that I would believe some hearsay about the 08 R1 being "weak" under 7k in 1st gear for safety reasons. That sounds to me like the curse of the yamaha; lack of low and mid range.

Also, since when do big corporations care more about safety over money unless it was government imposed safety.

fairings design & color are different on the 07/08.. I was asking them about the front rim, handle, side stand, clutch lever, rear frame and some engine covers.

why they are changing ?? I crashed it a while back

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3258515#post3258515

· Thread Killer
1,868 Posts
Color- yes. I didn't know that the actual fitment was changed. Nonetheless, from what you say, sounds like your tech doesn't know what he's talking about.

At any rate, good luck getting it fixed.

· Ghostrider Squadron
9,259 Posts
bout to say we have 08 fiche at our dealership.

and i dont believe one word about yamaha tech knowing that. he is not in on design or manufacturing of them. he is mechanic we have area or regional yamaha tech man as well. talked to him at length about problems with 07 ECUs and such and lack of low end. to me ur guy is stating a pure opinion with no facts on it. in end no one will ever answer that question. its pure timing, fuel control making power. there may be limiting factor, there may not be. but i do know that techs guys are not privy to that kind of info. again just pure speculation on his part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.