Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I notice the air intake moves mechanically when the key is on, does this make removal/reinstall of air intake/airbox tricky or is it pretty cut and dry?
Cant find any videos online ususlly i like to watch it just for a preview and confidence booster lol.

·
I rocked in Iraq
872 Posts
I just had the airbox off my 2008. It looks more complicated than it actually is. I used the service manual and it wasn't super clear from the diagrams but it turns out just to be the allen head bolts and the tubes just kinda snap off there. Sorry I didn't take pics or make a video.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just had the airbox off my 2008. It looks more complicated than it actually is. I used the service manual and it wasn't super clear from the diagrams but it turns out just to be the allen head bolts and the tubes just kinda snap off there. Sorry I didn't take pics or make a video.
I did it today, not bad.. cleaned injectors but still no start... fuel pump perhaps? Diag not giving any codes. Will try to run when spraying fogging oil while cranking.

·
An R1 kinda day!
225 Posts
You'll foul the plugs if you use a lot of that fogging oil. If you've already done that step previously, and everything seems to be moving ok, use a little stater fluid to see if it will run off it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You'll foul the plugs if you use a lot of that fogging oil. If you've already done that step previously, and everything seems to be moving ok, use a little stater fluid to see if it will run off it.
Thnx for the insight im gonna order a set of plugs today.. I just posted this update on a diff site...
"Cleaned the injectors, cleaned the inside of the fuel tank and cleaned up the fuel pump/filter. Still no start and fuel light flashes 8 times. Going to replace the plugs even tho theyve only got 175 miles on them.. if that doesnt work i will replace the fuel pump.. and it needs tires.. i dont think i will be riding this year lol"

I would be stoked if it was just fouled plugs but im leaning towards plugs/fuelpump.. pump runs and doesnt sound bad so idk.. plugs first i guess... I havent tried starting fluid since i cleaned the tank and pump maybe thatll work.

Thanks butta

·
Registered
56 Posts
you will most likely need the fuel lines replaced. fuel that old turns to gel and clogs the lines and you won't get proper pressure. take pump out and run it on its own, just hook power and fuel lines up and pump it from one container to another. time it and measure volume and you can determine the flow rate (liter/hour) that it's pumping at to determine if its faulty or operating properly. it should also be at 46psi. i believe the flow rate is 60 lph so if you're below that, replace it. someone fact check me on the numbers there cuz i dont remember precisely.

fuel pump doesn't need to sound bad to be bad. replace fuel lines. hopefully injectors are clear and clean but ehhhh, would go in and check/clean/replace as well. anything fuel has been in that long needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
you will most likely need the fuel lines replaced. fuel that old turns to gel and clogs the lines and you won't get proper pressure. take pump out and run it on its own, just hook power and fuel lines up and pump it from one container to another. time it and measure volume and you can determine the flow rate (liter/hour) that it's pumping at to determine if its faulty or operating properly. it should also be at 46psi. i believe the flow rate is 60 lph so if you're below that, replace it. someone fact check me on the numbers there cuz i dont remember precisely.

fuel pump doesn't need to sound bad to be bad. replace fuel lines. hopefully injectors are clear and clean but ehhhh, would go in and check/clean/replace as well. anything fuel has been in that long needs to be cleaned.
Really good info Jared i appreciate you taking the time to chime in.. i will post an update next time ive had a chance to do more work and what the outcome is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Replaced plugs, fuel pump, fuel line, new injectors, fresh new charged battery + jump for strong start.
.. SO, right after i changed the fuel pump i got it to run for about 40 seconds and then it died out again (started it from battery alone-no jump-no starting fluid). So i thought maybe something clogged the injectors.. changed those... now still no start even with battery jump.
Will try to run on starting fluid... im really lost for thoughts now... does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate you guys..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Maybe because it ran on the old injectors perhaps i should put the old ones back in?
Temporary defeat 🧘‍♂️

·
Registered
593 Posts
Did you ever check the plugs? Everything from your last post indicates you've touched practically the entire fuel system. Assuming that's all working correctly then you're missing either spark or compression. Plugs would be easiest to check/change if you haven't already. Have you performed a compression test?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
milheim05
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing