Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

08 R1 Sitting A Few Years, Quick Question?

5K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Lindenbaum 
#1 ·
Ive been reading that before trying to crank the engine, it is good to drip a small amount of oil into the spark plug holes and let it lube the rings inside.. my question is how are people getting the oil into those holes.. with the way everything id seems like you would need a turkey baster lmao... any easy I'd anyone had done this how were you able to do it?
Planning to change all fluids etc as well... tires to im guessing even tho they look suprisingly sound.
I think i can clean/ save the chain.. thoughts?

Any info is appreciated this is my first post, live this forum and community!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You could use a syringe with a piece of tube on it. Kind of like a fork oil tool. Syringe from the chemist (drug store in US??) and small tube from auto parts store. If you're going to replace all the fluids anyway you could spray some aerosol penetrating oil or seafoam down there and turn it over by hand a few times first.

Regarding the chain you could give it a clean with kerosene but be sure to check for any tight spots. If it were me I'd replace it.

#7 ·
I’d pump the tank with a vacuum, from the fuel lines below, drain the oil and replace, and replace the coolant with distilled water for the first couple warmups since it’s probably gonna be flushed a few times. Coolant for bikes can be pricey. Chains gotta be replaced, I wouldn’t trust it or chance it. Tires gotta be replaced. That about sums it up. You can add oil in the spark plug holes but it’s tight. Good luck with whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
That's a crazy find, at first I thought it was 35,000 miles, not 35. That's mint!

Drain and swap all fluids, replace brake pads, replace chain and tires. Once fuel tank is drained, use a mirror and inspect for any rust. You'll need to replace the fuel lines as well. I'd pull the axles and grease them checking for rust, make sure your wheel bearings are good as well.

If you really wanna oil the cylinders, they make specific tools for it https://www.amazon.com/Carejoy-Indu...ocphy=9033329&hvtargid=pla-597636239444&psc=1

#12 ·
Thanks whiskey and Jared!
Ive been slowly doing this and that on the bike when im not working. So far ive drained the tank via siphon and repl. W premium and a small dose of stabilizer (marvel), changed the oil out, bought a battery.
Everything is so clean im thinking if i just turn it over a couple times a day and let it sit, eventually the good fuel shoul make its way thru the system and sooner or later start.
I dont plan to ride till i can put good tires on it etc but would love to let her run a bit.
That being said, it cranks nice and strong as id expect but inviously it isnt starting.. (yesterday was the first time i tried). I do notice a click noise coming from under the seat, im thinkin its the small 2" x 2" box between the front/rear seat. Could be unrelated but just something ive noticed.
Terminals/leads brushed up nice n shiny also.

I baught it from a friend i used yo work gor years with, we lived on the same street for a few years also.

He tried selling it to me in 2014 he wanted 6g then 5 then 4 then eventually we didnt talk about it anymire and i took another job.

Hit him up out of the bkue started talking, asked if he sold it he said no he was getting ready to take it to the dhop to get freshened up as it had been sitting... so i said how much as is vs after the shop... he said for me 2k as is or 3k after the shop...

I paid him 2k that friday lol.

Photo attached i believe is the part clicking.
Poor angle but i needed the part no. To identify it. Is like a 2x2 cube

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks whiskey and Jared!
Ive been slowly doing this and that on the bike when im not working. So far ive drained the tank via siphon and repl. W premium and a small dose of stabilizer (marvel), changed the oil out, bought a battery.
Everything is so clean im thinking if i just turn it over a couple times a day and let it sit, eventually the good fuel shoul make its way thru the system and sooner or later start.
I dont plan to ride till i can put good tires on it etc but would love to let her run a bit.
That being said, it cranks nice and strong as id expect but inviously it isnt starting.. (yesterday was the first time i tried). I do notice a click noise coming from under the seat, im thinkin its the small 2" x 2" box between the front/rear seat. Could be unrelated but just something ive noticed.
Terminals/leads brushed up nice n shiny also.

I baught it from a friend i used yo work gor years with, we lived on the same street for a few years also.

He tried selling it to me in 2014 he wanted 6g then 5 then 4 then eventually we didnt talk about it anymire and i took another job.

Hit him up out of the bkue started talking, asked if he sold it he said no he was getting ready to take it to the dhop to get freshened up as it had been sitting... so i said how much as is vs after the shop... he said for me 2k as is or 3k after the shop...

I paid him 2k that friday lol.

Photo attached i believe is the part clicking.
Poor angle but i needed the part no. To identify it. Is like a 2x2 cube
I tried the photo, shows/says broken on my end so I can’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
if you gonna lift the fuel tank then remove air filter and just spray fogging oil into airbox while you crank it...fog the hell out of it.

but you said it won't start ? you got to have a good battery.

the chain; just spray the hell out of it with chain oil and spin the rear tire and then check the links to see if any are binding...

#18 ·
Never heard of fogging oil but ill look into it if you think itll get her running.. picked up a new battery and have put it back on a tender after every time i went out to turn it over.. havent tried in a few days due to work.. appreciate the tips everyone... i hope to hear her purr at least once this season lol.. otherwise its a great winter project.

#19 ·
OK so, the bike will try to run and might rev for about a full second or more when using a little fogging oil in the intake but dies once its burnt up..(i was afraid tobover do it w the oil spray)... i reset and checked the diag codes and it came back with nothing. Initially had d61 - 30 but didnt return after reset.
Is it difficult to clean the injectors or should i just try again with fogging oil when the battery is back to 100% (new battery, set on tender after a few start attempts - never harshly drained).. this is the first time ive hear it start to run lol...

"my birds doing this! ^ "?

#22 ·
I just had the airbox off my 2008. It looks more complicated than it actually is. I used the service manual and it wasn't super clear from the diagrams but it turns out just to be the allen head bolts and the tubes just kinda snap off there. Sorry I didn't take pics or make a video.

Reactions: Lindenbaum
#25 ·
Thnx for the insight im gonna order a set of plugs today.. I just posted this update on a diff site...
"Cleaned the injectors, cleaned the inside of the fuel tank and cleaned up the fuel pump/filter. Still no start and fuel light flashes 8 times. Going to replace the plugs even tho theyve only got 175 miles on them.. if that doesnt work i will replace the fuel pump.. and it needs tires.. i dont think i will be riding this year lol"

I would be stoked if it was just fouled plugs but im leaning towards plugs/fuelpump.. pump runs and doesnt sound bad so idk.. plugs first i guess... I havent tried starting fluid since i cleaned the tank and pump maybe thatll work.

Thanks butta

#26 ·
you will most likely need the fuel lines replaced. fuel that old turns to gel and clogs the lines and you won't get proper pressure. take pump out and run it on its own, just hook power and fuel lines up and pump it from one container to another. time it and measure volume and you can determine the flow rate (liter/hour) that it's pumping at to determine if its faulty or operating properly. it should also be at 46psi. i believe the flow rate is 60 lph so if you're below that, replace it. someone fact check me on the numbers there cuz i dont remember precisely.

fuel pump doesn't need to sound bad to be bad. replace fuel lines. hopefully injectors are clear and clean but ehhhh, would go in and check/clean/replace as well. anything fuel has been in that long needs to be cleaned.

#27 ·
you will most likely need the fuel lines replaced. fuel that old turns to gel and clogs the lines and you won't get proper pressure. take pump out and run it on its own, just hook power and fuel lines up and pump it from one container to another. time it and measure volume and you can determine the flow rate (liter/hour) that it's pumping at to determine if its faulty or operating properly. it should also be at 46psi. i believe the flow rate is 60 lph so if you're below that, replace it. someone fact check me on the numbers there cuz i dont remember precisely.

fuel pump doesn't need to sound bad to be bad. replace fuel lines. hopefully injectors are clear and clean but ehhhh, would go in and check/clean/replace as well. anything fuel has been in that long needs to be cleaned.
Really good info Jared i appreciate you taking the time to chime in.. i will post an update next time ive had a chance to do more work and what the outcome is.

#28 ·
Replaced plugs, fuel pump, fuel line, new injectors, fresh new charged battery + jump for strong start.
.. SO, right after i changed the fuel pump i got it to run for about 40 seconds and then it died out again (started it from battery alone-no jump-no starting fluid). So i thought maybe something clogged the injectors.. changed those... now still no start even with battery jump.
Will try to run on starting fluid... im really lost for thoughts now... does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate you guys..

#31 ·
Did you ever check the plugs? Everything from your last post indicates you've touched practically the entire fuel system. Assuming that's all working correctly then you're missing either spark or compression. Plugs would be easiest to check/change if you haven't already. Have you performed a compression test?

#33 ·
UPDATE.
Changed fuel pump and it fired up.
After about 2 minutes i realized it was leaking gas, it was dark outside IB my defense..?‍♂ I had torn one of the injectors o rings.. after I replaced the o-ring about a week later it didn't want to stay running, granted it was <36F outside.. it would run with tiny spurts of staring fluid but otherwise no.. im assuming it was the cold temps as it was running before that.
Anyways it's going to be almost 50F tomorow (yes on Dec 23rd, in Michigan lol) so I let the battery charge all day today ans going to see whats up tomorrow! ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.