Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I know there are 10000x posts about this issue and I have read through them and am still at a loss. I have a 2008 R1 ~24k w/ full exhaust, PCV, and ECU is flashed(all mods done by previous owner) I've had the bike about a year now and it has ran flawless until now. Noticed the bike took longer to start over the course of 2-3 weeks.. eventually it wouldn't start. When I try to start it it cranks but doesn't actually hit... If it does fire it sounds as if it is running on 1-2 cylinders and sounds like a lawnmower. I replaced the plugs, coils, and fuel pump (just the pump not the whole assembly). I also replaced the gas that was in the tank. I verified the bike is getting spark and the fuel pump sounds functional... with the help of some starter fluid the bike will turn over and catch and sounds normal at high RPM range and quickly bogs down and sounds like a diesel truck. until it dies. Bike gurus/gods please help me I'm desperate馃

I rocked in Iraq
If it seems to run on starting fluid then it seems safe to say we have a fuel problem? Did it sit for a while? Any chance of water in the fuel that hasn't purged through since you replaced the gas and pump? Since you have a Power Commander, I also recommend checking the installation. I installed mine per the instructions using the "T-Tap" type connector to splice into the factory harness near the ECU only to see 12 years later what a bad idea that is. Make sure there is no damage to the ECU or injector wiring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1202067

Registered
'08 r1
Drain fuel, inspect fuel filter and pump. Check vent hoses. Remove power commander. Check electrical connections and grounds and inspect spark plugs. Pour in fresh fuel. Attempt start.

If that fails, crack open the manual or post back and somebody will chime in with more stuff to look at.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel pump and filter are new, have tried with/without power commander connected. spark plugs are new and checked again today. new fuel today. have not checked any vent hoses. the bike sat for a little bit in the winter but had probably 3 tanks of gas through it before this issue started. I appreciate the quick responses

Registered
'08 r1
Get into the diagnostics and check your tps values and inspect your grounds an your electrical connections again.

Also, pressure test your fuel pump, and leave the power commander unhooked till you resolve this to keep it out of the loop. After you resolve this, reinstall.

I rocked in Iraq
If the power commander was installed with a T-Tap make sure it didn't completely break that wire. I think it's for throttle position but I'd have to check the documentation to be sure. It's usually done near the ECU in the main ECU harness. If I recall correctly it is just one T-Tap used outside of the PC adapter harness.

Reactions: jsp1990

Registered
'08 r1
If the cam position sensor is shitting the bed, it could make a mess like this too me thinks. Should throw a light and a code though. Still worth checking. Procedure should be in the service manual.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, thought i had to have 3rd party scanner to check for codes not giving a dash light. bike is displaying these :

13 - inlet pressure sensor error (sensor readings outside the required range) - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 03;
14 - inlet pressure sensor error (the sensor is disconnected or faulty) - it is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 03;
15 - throttle position sensor error - diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 01 + D: 13;
23 - an error in the readings of the atmospheric pressure sensor, - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 02;
30 - error of the fall sensor (triggered or faulty sensor), - is diagnosed with the self-diagnosis line D: 08;
35 - malfunction of the ignition coil 3 of the cylinder, - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 32;
46 - error indicating voltage on the ignition module;

yikes thats a lot.

Registered
'08 r1
It could be an old code, I'd still double check. The problem isn't resolved. It would feel great to just re crimp a spade and have her firing right wouldn't it?

Registered
I recently had starting issues with my 07 R1 and can feel your pain.

check battery voltage with volt meter, resting and attempting to start.
plenty of videos on you tube for this!

if that fails check neutral switch, it is located on the right hand side, under seat under wiring harness before it crosses the frame rail into the rear in front of the battery.

also you could check clutch switch and side stand switch.

Registered
if it starts and runs normal on starting fluid i would look at the injector connections make sure they are good. if they are then i want to say you should check the fuel pressure that will make sure the pumps working correctly so it the regulator. if thats good i would clean the injectors. you might want to grab a laser temp gun and check your headers when it starts to see which cylinders have the issues. it helps to diagnose before you replace half your bike blindly, you never know if your making things worse or better without at least a little bit or diagnosis

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay stupid question - I replaced fuel pump (don鈥檛 have a way to test fuel pressure) but disconnected the fuel line from the tank attempted to start and it shot a 6 ft stream- reconnected it and disconnected line from bike and tried the same thing and it had just enough force to push fuel out of the hose but trickled out on itself鈥 I didn鈥檛 change throttle at all to see if that caused it to push higher pressure鈥 could this simply be a fuel line kink ?

I rocked in Iraq
If you pulled a quick disconnect it would probably not flow. You might be able to push it part way on and get it to spew.

Reactions: 1202067

Premium Member
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, thought i had to have 3rd party scanner to check for codes not giving a dash light. bike is displaying these :

13 - inlet pressure sensor error (sensor readings outside the required range) - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 03;
14 - inlet pressure sensor error (the sensor is disconnected or faulty) - it is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 03;
15 - throttle position sensor error - diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 01 + D: 13;
23 - an error in the readings of the atmospheric pressure sensor, - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 02;
30 - error of the fall sensor (triggered or faulty sensor), - is diagnosed with the self-diagnosis line D: 08;
35 - malfunction of the ignition coil 3 of the cylinder, - is diagnosed by the self-diagnosis line D: 32;
46 - error indicating voltage on the ignition module;

yikes thats a lot.
All those can鈥檛 be bad at the same time. Seems like a voltage issue to me.

Premium Member
fuel pump and filter are new, have tried with/without power commander connected. spark plugs are new and checked again today. new fuel today. have not checked any vent hoses. the bike sat for a little bit in the winter but had probably 3 tanks of gas through it before this issue started. I appreciate the quick responses
If that fuel pump ain鈥檛 pumping at a high enough PSI, the bike will slowly die if/when you get it started.

Bad fuel tune causes issues too; I noticed you are running both ECU flash and PCV so you could possibly be running 2 fuel times on top of each other. I see that you have removed the PCV with the same issue but keep this fuel tuning in mind.

These bikes don鈥檛 like weak batteries.

Fuel lines are plastic wrapped in some type of rubber insulation. Check inside insulation to see if it鈥檚 pinching after you put the tank on.

Clogged fuel filter???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.