Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crossed Up
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought some Ohlins Road and Track forks last year and was told they were "Sprung for a 175lb rider". Well that's my weight, so I thought perfect.. Well I always found the front end seemed a bit harsh, but thought maybe it was just because it was sprung a bit heavier than my R6. Well I just went to service the forks for this season, I pull the springs out and they're 10.5 Nm springs...

If my research is correct, those are for a pretty hefty fellow (220+ lbs). Of course there's a bunch of conflicting information all over the internet, but from what I can find, it looks like I am wanting some 9.5's or maybe even some 10's for my 175lbs (without gear).

My thoughts are to go with 9.5's so that even if they do end up a bit soft, then I can swap out one spring, run a 9.5 and one of my 10.5's, for a total rate of 10.0.

Of course I know spring selection comes down to many more factors than just rider's weight, but there's also a general baseline a suspension tech would start with as well. So I'm looking for what other racers are running for fork springs on these bikes.

And sorry street guys. I'm not really looking for what you run on the street and how it feels in the twisties. I'm looking for what some of the quicker racers on here run in their front end.

·
GodofDe4th
467 Posts
Suspension is all about feel man haha. I'm 196 and run 10kg/mm springs in mine according to racetech. If Racetech calculator says run 9.5s I'd run those. I'd personally round to whatever's closer. I could see wanting a stiffer front end if you're a heavy braker, but i've also heard people running the softest spring they can get away with. Softer springs will feel better just as long as they aren't so soft you're bouncing a lot. Which is where dampening settings come in.

·
Crossed Up
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension is all about feel man haha. I'm 196 and run 10kg/mm springs in mine according to racetech. If Racetech calculator says run 9.5s I'd run those. I'd personally round to whatever's closer. I could see wanting a stiffer front end if you're a heavy braker, but i've also heard people running the softest spring they can get away with. Softer springs will feel better just as long as they aren't so soft you're bouncing a lot. Which is where dampening settings come in.
I prefer to run the softest spring I can. Especially on the R1. The more I can compress the forks under heavy braking, the more I can reduce the trail to make this big pig tip in easier.

Racetech.com would help, do a spring rate calculator
I've found the results there to be inconsistent with what actually works on some bikes.

Goaste it's not that a 220+ lbs rider is hefty but that you 175-lbs. riders are scrawny. Like hit the gym dude and put some muscles on those twigs...😂😉👍🏼💪🏼

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I bench 2 plates and squat 3. Any more size than that and it's just going to slow a guy down on the race track. I usually get above 190lbs in the winter, but lean up for race season.

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
I prefer to run the softest spring I can. Especially on the R1. The more I can compress the forks under heavy braking, the more I can reduce the trail to make this big pig tip in easier.

I've found the results there to be inconsistent with what actually works on some bikes.

I bench 2 plates and squat 3. Any more size than that and it's just going to slow a guy down on the race track. I usually get above 190lbs in the winter, but lean up for race season.

What kinda sag numbers are you getting? Static and free? The calculators are ballpark. I've had to work with most folks damping speeds and oil levels to get this generation right.

·
GodofDe4th
467 Posts

Racetech recommmended a spring for me and I'll tell you with heavy braking I bottom out the forks. So i doubt you'll want a lighter spring unless you're not really braking that hard.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
Racetech recommmended a spring for me and I'll tell you with heavy braking I bottom out the forks. So i doubt you'll want a lighter spring unless you're not really braking that hard.
Do you have any preload in the spring you're bottoming out? If not add some.

How much oil is in the forks? Add more...reduce your "air spring" and it will require significantly more force to bottom out the last 10% of the stroke.

I like to use full fork travel (to help turn in) and generally like a softer front end feel, I like to go as soft as possible without bottoming out...even then if it's one spot on the track that gives me a little chatter vs. bang on for 98%, I would never switch to a stiffer spring for that 2% (or one small section into 1 corner)...follow the logic?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts