Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Splitting wind/Firing the mind
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this and wonder if anyone else has. My 2009 R1 is stored outdoors, undercover. I went to it this morning and my bike smells like fuel. My cover is soaked in fuel on the top. I pulled the cover off and found fuel leaking from the top of the fuel cap. It is not overly full; actually about 2/3 full, and when I opened the cap, fuel blew out in a mist. It is currently 40F outside and we have recently gone down into the teens for a few days. But I've never seen this before. Is this simply venting issues? Bad cap all of a sudden? Or should I be looking deeper at this problem? Thanks much with any insight. Of course I don't even want to start it with all of the fuel pressure irregularity. Thanks again.

Johnny

Premium Member
I have not seen this and wonder if anyone else has. My 2009 R1 is stored outdoors, undercover. I went to it this morning and my bike smells like fuel. My cover is soaked in fuel on the top. I pulled the cover off and found fuel leaking from the top of the fuel cap. It is not overly full; actually about 2/3 full, and when I opened the cap, fuel blew out in a mist. It is currently 40F outside and we have recently gone down into the teens for a few days. But I've never seen this before. Is this simply venting issues? Bad cap all of a sudden? Or should I be looking deeper at this problem? Thanks much with any insight. Of course I don't even want to start it with all of the fuel pressure irregularity. Thanks again.

Johnny
Stock or aftermarket gas cap?

I've had venting issues in the past but only a few times. You just have to check and make sure the vent tube isn't clogged or kinked.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It's stock cap and I just pulled it off and stuffed clean rag in its place. I didn't see any clog. but the way its acting, its as if there is no venting whatsoever. I bet that could be tragic on a nice warm ride... How can I tell if the tube is clogged? The cap itself looked okay. Push something into it?

I RACE U LOSE
Pretty sure the cap itself doesn't vent. With the cap assy. completely removed use compressed air and blow through the overflow/drain tube to the left of the filler hole. I replaced my fuel cap assy. with a Evotech unit, and the small hose provided with it attaches to the new cap assy. and then gets fed down that tube. The tank has 2 hoses attached at the bottom for overflow/venting, it couldn't hurt to remove those from the tank and blow through those as well with compressed air. I have to check my stock cap.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a big help. I will be solving this issue by mid week went the sun comes back. I've ordered the Vortex V3 cap and base. I think the cap is the vent. But thanks for the advise. I'll be checking all of the tubes for as well. Peace

I RACE U LOSE
Looking at the stock cap assy. there is a small hole in the bottom of the cap part, that seals to the base with an orange O-ring , which seals to the tank on the opposite side. That is the location of the vent tube/hole for the stock cap assy., the other tube/hole I mentioned in the tank is the overflow/drain, which is not sealed to the stock cap or base. I believe my aftermarket cap vents AND drains from the tanks drain tube/hole, and doesn't use the stock vent tube/hole in the tank. You can try removing the 3 Phillips head screws in the cap portion, and check for any blockage there. There is a passageway blocked somewhere, compressed air is most likely needed to find it. After looking at this, I would say of the 2 hoses at the bottom of the tank, 1 is for overflow and the other for venting. Being outside moisture could've possibly frozen in a hose or corroded the inside of the area under the small hole in the cap. Good Luck !

I RACE U LOSE
The cap does vent but downward through the hose, not upwards and out. That wouldn't be emissions friendly. The Evotech cap is a work of art IMO, check them out at Motomummy, mines been flawless for many miles (over 24k now).

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I agree, the EVO cap looks sweet! I'm hoping you guys are right and it is simply clogged vent tubes. We have rain so I can't check until next week. I'll post my findings and hopefully the solution. Thanks again for everyone's input. Enjoy the ride! Peace

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have checked the vent and overflow tubes and no issues. Air blows through them fairly easily. I installed a new cap and tried to start her up. Lit no problem, and then immediately started to sputter and sputter, and then died. Started very sputtery (is this a word) for a few more tries and died. Trued to use the throttle and died. It's as if it's not getting any fuel. Put a fresh charge on the Shorai battery and she turns super quick and should start right up. But there is nothing to indicate any file is present. I smell nothing. So, could a bad fuel pump have any relation to my original problem of the venting issue? I'm sure a pump is expensive. My 2005 R1 had no issues for the 20k miles I rode it. This bike has 5k miles, i bought it at 3k, and it has run strong and nearly perfect until now. I feel like I'd like you guys' input before I am inclined to load it up and haul it to the dealer. I hate that place! Thanks again for any insight!

Johnny

Miguel - LuCkY NJ Officer
Lol Westside I just said the same in his other thread

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So your suggestion had me go through it again. I checked and didn't feel any kinks. I guess these are covered pre bent metal lines? Well, I then pulled the fuel line from the motor, turned the key, and fuel shot out of the line. Pump works great. Maybe there was bad fuel or air entrapment, etc. But when I reconnected the fuel line, she fired right up! Sweetness! Obviously the weather has been poor, but damn if I'm not going to put here on the run today just to freshen her up. Thanks again for your time! Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.