Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 05 raven and its real boggy on the low end stock and i have been told to go 1 down in the front and 2 up in the rear and that will fix that problem thats fine but what am i looking for and brands should i go for and do i go with a differnt chain and i know i will need the speedohealer so i just need to be pointed in the right direction for my sprockets and brands thanks alot guys

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
My 2 cents worth...... Go with Renthal and as long as you're changin out. Go with a 520 conversion, knock a couple pounds of rotating weight off while you're at it.

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
motomummy.com

or hit the "store" link at the top right of your screen to go to tobefast.com

-1+2 will help on the bottom a lot but you will be revving higher on the highway & will have to shift a lot more often.

I've done this my self & personally I like it, (wheelie in the first 4 gears pretty easily) but some people don't like the buzziness.

do you need a new chain? probably, unless your's is new or close to it.
they (chain & sprockets) should be replaced as a set. if you put an old chain on new sprockets or vice versa it will rapidly wear the other components.

where are you located? if you need any more help just ask!

·
Team STG Racing
67 Posts
Holy run-on sentence Batman! :scared

+1 on www.motomummy.com

Yes, get a new chain. You will be better off getting a 520 conversion and changing both sprockets and chain at the same time. If you are unsure, motomummy has a stock teeth chart on their site.

·
Team STG Racing
67 Posts
As far as the gearing itself, if you mostly ride around town...it should be ok. I have went -1/+2 on several 600's i have owned and it is good on the track but it feels as if im racing everywhere i go. Not to mention it is unbearable on the highway.

-1/+2 is a substantial change from stock. I would suggest trying -1 first (which is the equivalent of going +3 in the rear) and go from there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do alot of around town riding, but i do the weekend out of town rides the bike is great top end excellent on the freeway but super boggy on take off until the rpms get up a lil i have a 05 raven and ive heard this is a problem with this year bike so im trying to compensate a lil for the bogginess the bike is stock as of now but is in the shop im putting on the full Akro system, K&N filter, PC3 usb i also have -1 front sprocket also but its not on but no speedohealer to compensate for the rpm change Any help pointing me in the right direction so i know what to buy and have put on

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
Any help pointing me in the right direction so i know what to buy and have put on
I thought we'd done that? where are you located? how old are you?

first off you don't need a k&n filter the stock one make better power.
do get the FULL system (not just a slip on) & a pc111.

1) order a 16 tooth front sprocket & a 47 tooth rear (hard anodized aluminum) & get a new chain as well.

2) have your cylinder head shipped to me for exchange for a ported one.

3) get a custom map made for your pc111.

this should get you a good start on losing the BOG.

if you have any more questions please ask.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i understand that with doing that exchange of the sprockets will lose the bog but how the bike run on the freeway the rpm's will be running super high wont they and yes i got the full system with carbon cans and im 26 yrs old and i live in Modesto, Ca i dont want to go extreme on the power with porting the head just yet my other option was to be just put the full system the filter and the pc111 w custom mapping and get a feel on the bike to see how much it adjusts the problem then go with the sprocket change and new chain and then last thing would be to port the heads

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
If it's in the shop now have them put on the 16 tooth sprocket while it's there. The one I gave you was barely used and in excellent condition so you won't need to get a new chain. It just moves the wheel back a bit in the swingarm.

With the full Akra system and PCIII and the 16 tooth sprocket, you are going to feel a bigtime difference...

Let me know when you get it out of the shop. Post up in this thread or shoot me a PM. You are going to love it!...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.