Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to snag one of the Aprilia Racing suits made by Alpinestars from a shop called AF1 for a substantially discounted price. I wear a 46 in an A-star jacket so I was hoping the suit would fit in that size as well (they had 46 and 40 only). It arrived today in a big brown box and I was like a kid in a candy store. I pulled it out and took a look at it and it's a fantastic suit. Really well made and all the armor appears to be CE standard with a knox back protector. It's way more than I thought I'd be receiving given the price. One of the nicest suits I've seen.

This is my first one-piece. I came home for lunch and tried it on. With two bad shoulders, getting this puppy on was quite a task. Legs were great, stomach, no issues (it's shrinking anyhow) but it was a bit tight through the chest/shoulders standing upright. It's a little loose in the back but not much with the back protector in. Now standing straight up, I have major male camel toe. Sorry for the bad mental image. It's not painful, but the boys aren't resting where they should be. Leg length is fine, but the torso length seems to be a bit tight and proper positioning of the shoulder armor was critical in getting it on. Circumferentialy, It'd be pretty loose from below the chest down if I went up a size. This is all when trying to stand upright.

I slid over the top of my RSV with the suit, gloves and boots on. Feels a lot better in the riding position. When fully tucked however, it almost chokes me around the front of the neck. It's tight in the front of the neck, not in the back. Taking the suit apart, the back protector comes out and there's quite a bit of padding in the hump area too but I'm sure this'll serve as some sort of protection.

I've heard they stretch when broken in and it's such a nice suit, I almost hate to return it. How much can I expect this thing to stretch in the vertical plane or am I just living a pipe dream this suit will stretch and fit a bit better with time? It's a size 46 suit. I'm probably 6'3" when I stand up straight, slim build and about 205. I'm gaining weight through training, so loosing fat and I think I'll only get bigger up top and thinner down below if I keep my regiment up.

·
When in Doubt , Flat Out
59 Posts
Hi

I bought a leather dainese jacket and it was pretty tight esp in the chest and arms when i got it .

It took about 2 - 3 weeks and now it has loosened up and fits nice.

Good luck

·
Life is GRAND
1,990 Posts
It doesn't sound to bad right now. It should loosen up to. The mental image was not cool! Wear it as much as possible on the bike to break it in and make a judgment call then. If your still not happy and you really got it for a good price then you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Or at least close to what you paid.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Alpinestars, Dainese along with a few others tend to fit slim people much better unlike AGV and others which are better suited for larger/fatter people. You want the suit to fit very snug with no bunching up anywhere. It should loosen up maybe a half size larger after it's broken in. Best thing you can do is wear it around the house to help break it in. I don't have the link, but on www.helmetharbor.com there is a nice video about how to put on a suit and how it should fit. I found it very interesting. You may want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
.02 cents. I'm 6'1" 195lbs

I have a 2 piece Tecnic in a size 46 and it fits nicely. So I ordered my next Tecnic (a one piece) in a 46 also and had the same issues you did. I about straight jacketed myself into it. I sent it back for a 48 and it fits nicely. I've heard they stretch a lil and I've heard you can condition the leather which I guess helps with the stretching.

Gotta have some comfort. Ya gotta walk around abit at trackdays.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My suit (it is a 2 piece) was UNCOMFORTABLY tight when I first got it. It stretched quite a bit... now, its still a 'lil too small, but tight is definitely what you want. (actually, now its in the trash after being cut off... but, before that LOL) I wore mine around the house and spent a lot of time kneeled down to stretch it (the shoulders were the most uncomfortable).

It sounds like if you go a size up, there will be too much loose leather, which could cause its own problems. I would say that if you are comfortable in the riding position in it, then I would just try to break it in a little bit... If you don't want that 'camel toe' to embarrass you, just let the shoulders/arms down when you walk around the pits:)

Good Luck!

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
I'm also 6-3 and have been wearing a 48 motogp suit thats a little loose all round. I just picked up a size 44 for $420 and once I got it on its like it was custom fitted for me but being taller than the recommended height, looks like i'm derek smalls of spinal tap major camel toe. A 46 should be perfect for me at least. From the top of the zipper to the gray point at the crotch is 25 on th 48 and 23 on the 44. I know this has nothing to do with you but yes the suit will stretch out some:)

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
the suit has to become part of you, the point is that if you go down the suit will not mover and injur you, instead the suit will receive what your body would have if you were not wearing it.

so yeah its supposed to be very tight.

·
RDNHRD
1,113 Posts
I'm also 6-3 and have been wearing a 48 motogp suit thats a little loose all round. I just picked up a size 44 for $420 and once I got it on its like it was custom fitted for me but being taller than the recommended height, looks like i'm derek smalls of spinal tap major camel toe. A 46 should be perfect for me at least. From the top of the zipper to the gray point at the crotch is 25 on th 48 and 23 on the 44. I know this has nothing to do with you but yes the suit will stretch out some:)
Damn Rob, I have the same suit, size 48 and I am 6'3". The suits fits great and the only issue I have is from the crotch to the neck. It's a little tight for the boyz. I'm working on the mid-section in the off season so I hope that helps some but you tried on a 44? How the hell did you get in it?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Damn Rob, I have the same suit, size 48 and I am 6'3". The suits fits great and the only issue I have is from the crotch to the neck. It's a little tight for the boyz. I'm working on the mid-section in the off season so I hope that helps some but you tried on a 44? How the hell did you get in it?

Same here.... love the suit, but the boyz are a bit cramped.....

·
Moving sucks...
10,139 Posts
Well shit, if we're all gonna confess I'll chime in. :crash

Bought a Dainese 1-piece and my boys don't like it one bit. The fit improved after I did a track day at Willow in fawking 100 degree weather. I was sweating like a ho in church. I've also got a two-piece Dainese that I bought just before moving back to MD, needs to be modified a bit before I can wear it. That leaves me with mega crusty Yamaha two-piece leathers that fit like they were custom made. I've spent hundreds of hours in this suit, crashed in it, and it's just such a great fit I can't stop wearing it.
Nothing worse than a set of leathers that are too loose, they flap around at speed. Having the boys "pancaked" isn't much fun either but the suit will stretch over time. Best advice is to suffer a little bit and break the suit in.

·
Track Addict
1,398 Posts
I just bought a one piece Alpinestar RC-1 in US size 42, it fits perfect(its a little tight on the boys if I stand tall/straight up). I`m 5`11" 203lbs. I`m going to wear it around the house a bit to break it in a little before I ride with it.

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
From your description it sounds like your suit fits perfect for a non ridden suit. The only thing it's gonna take to make it just right is a trackday where you sweat it up real good. If it's still bothering you in the neck area after that just take it down to Syed's for a tweak. The shop is on Central Florida pkwy off of Orange Blossom Trail just south of the Florida mall. When you turn left onto Central Fla pkwy it'll be on the left. But from your description this suit's a keeper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.