Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here. I'm looking forward to going through the archives and learning about the bikes. I'm thinking of picking up an '03 R1 next month.

Today I was at Yamaha of Hollywood. The service manager (he had "Captain Nemo" embroidered on his shirt) said that, although the manual calls for a first valve adjustment at 26,600 mi., he likes to do the valves on the '02-'03's at around 15,000 mi. (charge for complete service, including valve adjustment: $395.00). He says the '02-'03 R1's valves tighten up earlier than the manual allows for.

Has anyone done their first valve adjustment on an '02-'03? If so, at what milage? How far out were the valves?

Also, the good captain said that he could richen an R1 if it seems to be running especially lean (due to Cal. emissions standards, etc.) just by using the control panel switches to reset the codes. He says he got the richer codes straight from Yamaha. Does this sound ligit?

Lastly, if anyone knows any reason why I should not be joined in unholy but fun matrimony to an '03 R1, please let me know. What is the downside, flaws, problems, leaks, troubles, etc.? Are these bikes well made or are they headaches? I want to know what I'm getting into and I already know all about the upside.

Thanks.

Mark
feel free to backchannel ([email protected])

P.S. Yamaha of Hollywood says they'll let a new '03 R1 go for $10,000 out the door. Does that sound like a good or a bad deal?

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
most of the forum members sell their bikes before the first valve adjustment is due... so ill let someone else answer that

I seriously doubt you can make the bike run richer just by resetting a code... could be wrong, but that sounds awefully fishy

yamaha makes one of the highest quality, longest running bikes on the market (as good or better than Honda) - only thing Id watch for out of the crate is the footpeg bolts, they have been known to break

and $10,000 is outrageous for a '03 - most are going for around $8400 give or take a few $$

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
In my experience, even though the first scheduled valve clearance check is at 26,600, most are still within spec at 26,600. The valve seats seem to do very well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
i think that you should be able to talk that price down. 10000 seems pretty high at this point. the 04's are just around the coner.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vin:

$8400.00 out the door! Really! There can't be that much margin in these bikes!

All right, I need some of you other guys to weigh in on this. I'm in Los Angeles. What should I be paying, out the door, for a new '03 R1?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Mark618 said:
Vin:

All right, I need some of you other guys to weigh in on this. I'm in Los Angeles. What should I be paying, out the door, for a new '03 R1?

Thanks.

Mark
$8400 plus TT&L and all those other B.S. fees they like to throw in - I wouldnt pay a dime over $9000 OTD

I know times have changed, but I paid $9100 OTD for my '01 almost 2 years ago to the day, and the dealer threw in a helmet, carbon fenders, and a GYT-R slip on

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Mark618 said:
Vin:

Thanks.

Mark
Another Mark.. :thumbup I live in Pasadena, and I went to Hollywood Yamaha and they are pretty cool, but they were more expensive than the dealer in my home town. The problem is in L.A. we get screwed. I paid 10K OTD about 3 months ago at Pasadena Yamaha and was happy to get it.

Bottom line is your not going to get a better deal then 10K unless your lucky, buy something used, or buy one out of state and pay the shipping which is probably $400. The 04 looks awesome, but I've always been afraid to buy a car, truck or bike when they just come out. It takes about a year for all of the quirks to get fixed.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mkinla said:
Another Mark.. :thumbup I live in Pasadena, and I went to Hollywood Yamaha and they are pretty cool, but they were more expensive than the dealer in my home town. The problem is in L.A. we get screwed. I paid 10K OTD about 3 months ago at Pasadena Yamaha and was happy to get it.

Bottom line is your not going to get a better deal then 10K unless your lucky, buy something used, or buy one out of state and pay the shipping which is probably $400. The 04 looks awesome, but I've always been afraid to buy a car, truck or bike when they just come out. It takes about a year for all of the quirks to get fixed.

Just my opinion.
:iamwithst

mkinla hit it right on. In SoCal, $10K is not a bad price. I got my 03 about 2 mos ago for almost that price ($9100 + tax). You won't regret it man....buy it...or wait for the 04 :finger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts