Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,328 Posts
I will admit, the absence of guns across the pond has made the art of bombing a much more desirable situation. Why shoot up a theatre and take the risk of somebody else stopping you when you can simply bomb one, killing the majority of people in it. Trendsetters, those Brits.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This story just ruined my day completely. I listened to it on the news on my drive to work this morning and just felt sick to my stomache. I'm glad they got him alive. I want to know why and I want him to pay for it the rest of his life. He will not have it easy in prison.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
you didn't have any choice.
I will admit, the absence of guns across the pond has made the art of bombing a much more desirable situation. Why shoot up a theatre and take the risk of somebody else stopping you when you can simply bomb one, killing the majority of people in it. Trendsetters, those Brits.
:lol

Okay I'm not going to get into this with you Kirk, it's not the time or the place. So enjoy what you've got and much love ;)

One last thing though, how many Brits do you see committing bombings?! Americans for that? That's an entirely different argument and a ridiculous thing to say. You're smarter than that...

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Can open....worms everywhere!:hammer:

·
4um ModR8r
10,427 Posts

·
DILLIGAF
4,479 Posts
So what are the crime rates like in Australia and the UK? I can't speak on either as I've never had the pleasure of visiting them. What i can speak on is the level of disregard the American criminal element has for innocent life in situations such as the one in the top post. Yes perhaps gun control should go up. And perhaps the dozens of firearms companies in the US should cease production putting hundreds maybe thousands out of work. However that will likely not stop a person that has their mind set on doing evil things from accomplishing that goal. What it will do on the other hand, is leave the innocent helpless in the face of their wrath. The police can't be everywhere. This is the sad truth but it is one that I am well aware of which is why I choose to arm myself and properly train in the efficient use of my firearms. So that if ever the need should arise, I can defend the lives of my family and anyone else around me against twisted individuals like the one that commited this crime. Even if it means giving up my own. Hopefully it never happens to me, but if it does I will at least have the option to act.

·
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
22,029 Posts
So what are the crime rates like in Australia and the UK? I can't speak on either as I've never had the pleasure of visiting them. What i can speak on is the level of disregard the American criminal element has for innocent life in situations such as the one in the top post. Yes perhaps gun control should go up. And perhaps the dozens of firearms companies in the US should cease production putting hundreds maybe thousands out of work. However that will likely not stop a person that has their mind set on doing evil things from accomplishing that goal. What it will do on the other hand, is leave the innocent helpless in the face of their wrath. The police can't be everywhere. This is the sad truth but it is one that I am well aware of which is why I choose to arm myself and properly train in the efficient use of my firearms. So that if ever the need should arise, I can defend the lives of my family and anyone else around me against twisted individuals like the one that commited this crime. Even if it means giving up my own. Hopefully it never happens to me, but if it does I will at least have the option to act.
Well said :bow

·
Super Moderator
45,328 Posts
:lol

Okay I'm not going to get into this with you Kirk, it's not the time or the place. So enjoy what you've got and much love ;)

One last thing though, how many Brits do you see committing bombings?! Americans for that? That's an entirely different argument and a ridiculous thing to say. You're smarter than that...
The point isn't that Brits are committing bombings, the point is that people will use whatever means necessary to deliver their violence. If guns are outlawed, it will be bombs, fires, etc. At least we have the right to protect ourselves from it as best we can. Look no further than Europe in WWII. Countries there changed flags like they were changing clothes; the citizens could offer NO resistance whatsoever. Ever seen that happen in the US? No, you haven't.

I know your argument: if there weren't any guns here in the first place we wouldn't need any to protect ourselves with. However, we would still be every bit as susceptible as the people in the example above. The part of our situation you are missing is that our legal system has no teeth, so there is really no deterrent to the people who are committing these crimes. If there was zero tolerance for using weapons for crime there would be a huge reduction of it. Why is thievery so low in Saudia Arabia? Because you lose a fcvkin' limb if you're caught. Pretty effective policy. This is the part we have failed at, not the part about giving citizens rights to protect themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
This story just ruined my day completely. I listened to it on the news on my drive to work this morning and just felt sick to my stomache. I'm glad they got him alive. I want to know why and WE WILL PAY for it the rest of his life. He will not have it easy in prison.
With 3 hots and a cot, lawyers, court costs etc... I would've rather payed for a $.10 bullet and save $$$$. On the other hand it's creating jobs... lawyers, CO's eyc...

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
The point isn't that Brits are committing bombings, the point is that people will use whatever means necessary to deliver their violence. If guns are outlawed, it will be bombs, fires, etc. At least we have the right to protect ourselves from it as best we can. Look no further than Europe in WWII. Countries there changed flags like they were changing clothes; the citizens could offer NO resistance whatsoever. Ever seen that happen in the US? No, you haven't.

I know your argument: if there weren't any guns here in the first place we wouldn't need any to protect ourselves with. However, we would still be every bit as susceptible as the people in the example above. The part of our situation you are missing is that our legal system has no teeth, so there is really no deterrent to the people who are committing these crimes. If there was zero tolerance for using weapons for crime there would be a huge reduction of it. Why is thievery so low in Saudia Arabia? Because you lose a fcvkin' limb if you're caught. Pretty effective policy. This is the part we have failed at, not the part about giving citizens rights to protect themselves.
Backpedal much? What did you say in the quote below?

So you honestly think that eradicating all guncrime would lead to people being mugged with bombs?! Get real... It'd be knifecrime or beatings at worse and far more people survive that, sad as it is there's any of that too.

I'm with you 100% on what you say about raising the penalties for violent crimes though :fact That's the real crux of the problem.

Anyway, we're about to head down the sort of conversational road I normally only have with close mates who know me very well so I'll shut up before stepping foot on that and things being taken way out of context.

Sad, sad day and I feel so sorry for all those affected by events like these.

·
Super Moderator
45,328 Posts
Backpedal much? What did you say in the quote below?

Hardly. Trendsetters, as in banning all guns, not as in Brits executing bombings.

So you honestly think that eradicating all guncrime would lead to people being mugged with bombs?! Get real... It'd be knifecrime or beatings at worse and far more people survive that, sad as it is there's any of that too.

Shooting up everybody in a theatre, or bombing a theatre, is hardly a mugging. On top of that, that is a HUGE stretch of a conclusion that is nowhere close to what I was saying. The problem here is that you're not following along with the actual argument, only trying to be internet cute by twisting the literal surface meaning of what is being said. If you're going to indirectly question the intelligence of others, make sure yours is at par.

I'm with you 100% on what you say about raising the penalties for violent crimes though :fact That's the real crux of the problem.

Anyway, we're about to head down the sort of conversational road I normally only have with close mates who know me very well so I'll shut up before stepping foot on that and things being taken way out of context.

hahah.....you know you can't drop an argument...... it's your achilles tendon. And you're already obscuring context as evidenced above.

Sad, sad day and I feel so sorry for all those affected by events like these.

Above

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
If you think I'm that naive to think that someone isn't going to use whatever means they can to achieve atrocities like this recent one, then we're going no-where. You're not getting my argument - It's too easy to get and hold firearms for whatever purpose, muggins upwards.

Make guns harder to get, or rather more punishable to have and you'll at least reduce the number of 'smaller' crimes.

Bombings are nothing like guncrime, and you're right, I did misunderstand your meaning about us being trendsetters. Bombs are used to kill or injure large numbers of people either remotely or by those incapable of using guncrime to the same effect, in such a short space of time. There's no argument between the two as far as I'm concerned.

You're also right, I do have trouble dropping arguments so you can have the last say on this one, whatever your response Kirk. I've got a customer here so got to crack on anyway...

41 - 60 of 206 Posts