Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I'm thinking about selling my bike and I've been talking to some people, one of them a friend, the other a mechanic, and both have told me that although the book says to do valve adjustment at 26,600 miles, it should be done around 16,000 miles, which is conveniently around the miles my bike is at. Obviously, I doubt the book would give me false information, but I'd like to check anyway. Anyone else hear of this, or should I just ignore these guys?

·
Registered
857 Posts
You answered your own question
the book says to do valve adjustment at 26,600 miles
I agree, there is a very little chance anyone especially outside Yamaha knows more than Yamaha engineers. They do spend a lot of money in engineering.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's worked on a lot of 09-14's and told me that they needed valve adjustments early, around 16k. This guy doesn't push stuff on me that don't need to be done, so I don't think he'd be ****ing me. I also seen someone selling his R1 on craigslist with 12,000 miles on it and he said he got a valve adjustment as well, so I thought I'd ask.

2014 R1

But then again this guy is selling his used R1 for the price of a brand new one...

·
Registered
857 Posts
He's worked on a lot of 09-14's and told me that they needed valve adjustments early, around 16k. This guy doesn't push stuff on me that don't need to be done, so I don't think he'd be ****ing me. I also seen someone selling his R1 on craigslist with 12,000 miles on it and he said he got a valve adjustment as well, so I thought I'd ask.

2014 R1

But then again this guy is selling his used R1 for the price of a brand new one...
Hmmm I can see if it's ran hard maybe... Maybe, if I did them at 16k I'd be doing them every 7-8mo... I'll probably stick to the intervals especially sense my engine/powertrain warranty is good for 2 years as long as I follow the manufacturer intervals but I have a lot of cruising freeway speeds.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Theres nothing stoping you from getting them checked but I'm going off the manual.

The only bikes i know of that have early valve check is ducati and honda cbr500r

·
Its not broken its a feature
3 Posts
This is a 06 R1 with 41000km (25100 miles) on it and the exhaust bucket to cam gap is nearly double the max spec no wonder I had "Yama-Tic". its only supposed to be between 0.11mm to 0.22mm

Attachments

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Do you guys think the design of the C/P cams on the 09 and up are the reason for the measurements being out of spec? The only reason I ask this is because I've been checking valves on inline 4's for 40+ years and most of the time when checked at the correct intervals they are rarely out of spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts