Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time poster - not trolling, honest! This is meant to be a respectful and sincere question.

I'm looking to purchase a used R1 but have read many threads (here and elsewhere) about the "teething troubles" and worldwide gearbox recall that was issued for the 2015 bikes.

Over here in the UK the R1 is more of a niche bike so there generally aren't many for sale at any given time; I don't want to limit my search for a new ride unnecessarily and cut out potential candidates.

Hope you can help me with your opinions and advice. Thank you.

· Registered
390 Posts
Why chance it? There's probably not a huge difference in value between a 15 and 16 at this point, so why chance it?
You have the advantage of hindsight, so you know about it and can choose. These buyers didn't--it's not their faults, they just bought the new model R1 and I'm sure were gutted to learn of the recall and work needed, but they had it done with excellent results. However, this is three owners out of, what, hundreds, maybe thousands? I'm sure most came out fine but there are all kinds of dealers and all kinds of mechanics and there almost certainly had to have been some horror stories out there so unless you just have to have it why chance it? (yeah yeah I know--I'm banned!)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why chance it? There's probably not a huge difference in value between a 15 and 16 at this point, so why chance it?
You have the advantage of hindsight, so you know about it and can choose. These buyers didn't--it's not their faults, they just bought the new model R1 and I'm sure were gutted to learn of the recall and work needed, but they had it done with excellent results. However, this is three owners out of, what, hundreds, maybe thousands? I'm sure most came out fine but there are all kinds of dealers and all kinds of mechanics and there almost certainly had to have been some horror stories out there so unless you just have to have it why chance it? (yeah yeah I know--I'm banned!)
Good point. Thanks!

· G'Daam I LOVE BIKES
534 Posts
15 here ,Recall done. And going killer strong

Reactions: duck holliday

· Venom X/O
26,976 Posts
There’s a 2016 in my garage with a locked up motor as we speak… I wouldn’t hedge bets on 2016 being “full proof.”

buy whichever one has the best deal and live life, just understanding that if you buy a used bike you’re potentially buying something that someone cherished or buying something that’s been clapped out it’s whole life. It’s a gamble that we take when buying used

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s a 2016 in my garage with a locked up motor as we speak… I wouldn’t hedge bets on 2016 being “full proof.”

buy whichever one has the best deal and live life, just understanding that if you buy a used bike you’re potentially buying something that someone cherished or buying something that’s been clapped out it’s whole life. It’s a gamble that we take when buying used
Sorry about the '16. You're right - it is a gamble either way (buying used) and I appreciate the warning! I wish there was an easy way of deciding which was which...

· An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,337 Posts

Right. Any of 'em can have issues, though the '15 ended up a mfg error of design. But the '15 hasn't been the only motorcycle to have a major recall.

IMO, the '15 R1 is an instant classic. I ride mine so she's not a garage queen.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right. Any of 'em can have issues, though the '15 ended up a mfg error of design. But the '15 hasn't been the only motorcycle to have a major recall.

IMO, the '15 R1 is an instant classic. I ride mine so she's not a garage queen.
Thanks for your input. I'm not especially worried about recalls (as long as I can establish that the bike had the work done). My 2012 S1000RR had to have its con-rods sorted as a recall but I rode it for another 5 years without issues. I preferred Yamaha's approach (recall) to Honda's c-abs response (deny there was a problem) any day of the week.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
the 15 had a recall and the 16's dropped valves. your rolling the dice anytime you buy a bike but except for the few that initially had a problem with 2nd gear i haven't heard of any 15's having issues after the recall was performed. as for the 16's it seems that if they were going to drop a valve they typically did it around 5000 miles so if its hit 10k then its probably fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts