Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy either a 15 or 17 R1 both have less than 1000 miles. Is one year better than the other ?

·
An R1 kinda day!
300 Posts
The '15 had to have the transmission replaced, which was no easy task. I own a '15 and, knock on wood, no issues to date. Almost 20,000 miles on it. Maybe someone else can chime on the '17.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
17 has updates inside the engine for reliability like the dual valve spring setup and the thrust washer for the crank side to side movement. Most haven't had any issues for the 15's but for the few that have they decided to update so I would go with the 17 if the price difference isn't massive. Most of the 15 issues show up in the 3-5000 mile range so if it's before that it's a chance. If it was after then it's most likely good to go.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,114 Posts
17 has updates inside the engine for reliability like the dual valve spring setup and the thrust washer for the crank side to side movement. Most haven't had any issues for the 15's but for the few that have they decided to update so I would go with the 17 if the price difference isn't massive. Most of the 15 issues show up in the 3-5000 mile range so if it's before that it's a chance. If it was after then it's most likely good to go.
good to hear some real world mileage figures / failure rates.. its way too late for me to even be considering a '15 and thats pretty much what i knew from the get-go. Glad to hear 'most' havent had issues

op, if it were me.. '17 or later, yep.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It's a rare few BUT people who have problems are the loudest and the ones people remember. I could tell you how I do meticulous maintenance and everything has been perfect on it with no issues but that's uninteresting and no one cares about those stories lol. 17 seems to be where they are the most reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts