Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions and recommendations from racers or track day riders on 2015+ R1s who are using abs/ubs systems. Problems/issues? Anyone change out to normal brake lines?

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
1,915 Posts
Looking for opinions and recommendations from racers or track day riders on 2015+ R1s who are using abs/ubs systems. Problems/issues? Anyone change out to normal brake lines?
Josh Herrin would be the guy to ask. He rides the piss out of his r1s

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've raced 2 seasons with the ABS enabled. I had no brake modifications the first year, even original brake pads with 2500 miles on them. This past season I changed to Vesrah RJL pads. I have no braking related complaints really. Given the 16mm master cylinder that comes stock, the lever does need to be adjusted as the brakes get hot though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Good info. Everyone keeps mentioning those Vesrah pads. I?ve used Galfer and EBCs in the past. Going to have to give them a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ran half of this race season with the ABS enabled on my 2016 R1 and the other half with either it disabled via the fuse or direct lines.

I ended up liking it more without the ABS, though the ABS is really nice compared to others. It seems like with the ABS you can't brake quite as hard, which I would equate to a loss of like... 5% of your brake capacity. When it really kicks in it can be frightening and drive you wide on the entrance of a corner.

Once I disabled the fuse, I immediately realized the ABS was keeping my rear tire on the ground. The first few heavy braking corners I felt it coming up on me fairly rapidly. It almost seemed like I had gotten used to the ABS saving me from this issue, so it took a half day to remember how to brake properly again.

Once I did direct lines, I noticed there was dramatically less brake fade in longer races.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Wolfe. Again, great info and love the comparison. I think that?s the route I?m going to take. Try the abs out, then disable and give that a shot. Unfortunately, heading into winter on the east coast so spring can?t come quick enough.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I agree with what wolf and syst are saying. The abs did feel strange in the beginning on track but now it doesn't bother me and I am not going to be going through the trouble to disable. Then again I'm track riding for fun and not racing.

i also needed to move the lever out a notch once I got them heated up.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
No doubt there is some slight loss of braking capacity on the track—but, do you ever plan on riding the bike in the street?

To me, it would not be worth losing ABS on the street for a slight Improvment on a track day. Say all you want, but ABS on the street where panic breaking, changing surfaces, rain, and cold tires can all come into play and I think it would be crazy to give up the extra safety ABS provides for riding on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you want to try it out, just pull this green fuse. One is a dummy, the other is the ABS pump fuse. You will have the orange ABS light on, but it does not throw any codes. I rode 2 race weekends with it like this to try it out the first time, then moved to the direct lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent info all. This bike is pretty much headed for track days and depending on how it works out, hopefully a few races. I like the pull the fuse approach. This way I can have the best of both worlds if it ever makes it back to the street

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want to try it out, just pull this green fuse. One is a dummy, the other is the ABS pump fuse. You will have the orange ABS light on, but it does not throw any codes. I rode 2 race weekends with it like this to try it out the first time, then moved to the direct lines.
I thought things felt funny at the end of Pueblo's front straight. I thought all that "MotoGP" hype would be a help, but the bike just didn't seem to brake as hard. I even blew turn 1, once, when trying to get in where I was used to braking.

Does pulling the ABS fuse disable UBS as well? I guess if everything runs through the ABS module, then, yes...

Are you camping at COTA?

·
2015 R1, 2008 R6
445 Posts
I kept ABS, just changed pads to EBC HH. Brakes are great, you do lose some "bite" where straight lines I could lift the rear (stoppie) hard on the brakes where the ABS will not allow it. As far as lap times With/without were no different. ABS still has good lever feedback. I dont plan on removing it. My buddies are really pushing me to switch to the Vesrah pads though. Next set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have the EBC HHs on order for the rear. Probably do the same for front, currently stock pads. Next time around maybe try Vesrahs. I wasn?t worried so much about stopping distance because you can adjust for that, I was more thinking it would be weird having the lever pulsating if it activates on hard braking after long straights. Guess that?s part of the learning curve for a new bike.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The pulsating lever is not as annoying how the abs affects engine braking. I have the M so I can track data and by far, the ABS is triggered most when there is hard engine braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as there?s no pulsing in the lever, I?m thinking I can adjust braking markers to compensate either way. I was just a little freaked out thinking that blazing into a hard braking corner, the lever would be pulsing or something. That?s distracting at best. Thanks everyone!

·
Unacceptable
1,220 Posts
I even blew turn 1, once, when trying to get in where I was used to braking.
Same thing here at the end of Thunderhill's long front straight. Freaked me out the first couple of times it happened. I had to reset some braking markers and that put me off my pace for the rest of the day. Distracting doesn't begin to describe it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Hooli. I was all good with it and now I have to rethink this again. Lol! Appreciate all the food for thoughts. It?s great to have the opinions of those who have experienced it on the same bike. All new experience from my current bike - I like to call the dinosaur 99R1. Just a couple upgrades to the R1 since then:) It?s still a keeper, just going to put it out to pasture as my street ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does pulling the ABS fuse disable UBS as well? I guess if everything runs through the ABS module, then, yes...

Are you camping at COTA?
Yes, it disables UBS as well. With the fuse removed, it also won't record ABS, LIF, SCS and TCS in the logs for Y-Trac on the R1M.

Yea, I will be camping there probably late Friday night. Driving my motorhome down, then leaving for a wedding just south of COTA Saturday evening. Then driving all day Sunday to drop the motohome off at Chuckwalla on Monday and fly back out of Phoenix. All this after doing Thanksgiving dinner in Pueblo. Its going to be a long weekend, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wolfe. By pulling fuse it doesn?t record abs,lid, etc. Do you mean it disabled them, because that doesn?t sound good? Or did you mean doesn?t show up on computer program for M?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts