Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea, I will be camping there probably late Friday night. Driving my motorhome down, then leaving for a wedding just south of COTA Saturday evening. Then driving all day Sunday to drop the motohome off at Chuckwalla on Monday and fly back out of Phoenix. All this after doing Thanksgiving dinner in Pueblo. Its going to be a long weekend, lol.
Dang, son!! That's a hell of a weekend.

The weather forecast is all over the place. Hoping it stabilizes as we get closer...

·
Registered
77 Posts
FWIW, my buddy is running consistent 1:51's at Thunderhill on his stock R1M with all the electronics enabled. That's just 4 sec off the all-time Superbike lap record.

I'm slower - much slower on mine but I'm matching the best I ever got on my old R1.

When we compare data you can see the rear ABS is activating on both of our bikes all around the track but neither of us are seeing the front ABS activating.

·
Cabin Fever!
252 Posts
I currently have Vesrah Srjl-XX on mine and absolutely love them and only ever noticed the ABS once... that scared the hell out of me, that was on the first hot lap with the new pads after what I thought was a couple of good enough laps to get them ready. seems I didn't quite have them bed in and my ABS went all sorts of crazy and felt like I wasn't going to stop.
I just went ahead and leaned into the turn and it sorted itself out but I went much wider than normal. otherwise never even noticed ABS is there except on the street in the rain.

weird thing though, it seems that the distance of my brake lever from my bar varies when I first go back out after a break from the track.... but the braking feels the same and the leverl always seems to settle back to the same place once I get going.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wolfe. By pulling fuse it doesn?t record abs,lid, etc. Do you mean it disabled them, because that doesn?t sound good? Or did you mean doesn?t show up on computer program for M?
Everything still works, only the logging of the data in the CCU does not.

·
Beastmode!
28 Posts
IMO if it's a track bike remove the ABS, add Galfer brake lines going directly to the calipers, change the OEM brake pads Vesrah comes to mind (or what ever makes you comfortable), also I added the Brembo but the OEM master works pretty good. After I rode my bike for the first time, it was my first modification.

·
2015 R1, 2008 R6
444 Posts
I dont invest in something unless it is hindering me or makes common sense. Just put pads in and ride. If you are out-performing your brakes, then invest in upgrades. If you are not running the top of the charts even on trackdays then I seriously doubt you are out-performing your brakes.

I run the top of the time sheets unless someone like Chris Ulrich or Jeremy Toye shows up, but still. Im sure some guys wont agree but its the truth. Spend the money on track time, then you will know where to invest first. These brakes are pretty friggin good. All I did was pads. I ride on 5 different tracks around here some with very long straights that test the brakes. You rip out the ABS and then go try and sell your bike and it will be labelled "abused" and you will get much lower value for it. I havent even bothered to purchase rearsets for this R1 as Im not dragging my pegs (if that day comes then I will get rearsets). Also due to this bike wants you to jack up the rear to get it to steer better there is more clearance for pegs.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
12 Participants
UB6IB9
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing