Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just getting my bike on
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some battery issues before. I thought the battery had finally died but when I got another one and installed it the bike still will not start. It will fire up but as soon as I let go of the starter it dies. If I hold the start it will run. No clue what is wrong and I just had it serviced with oil and plugs. I rode twice after that service and it died on the second ride later in the evening. Bike has about 8k miles and I did wreck it a while back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you say run, do you mean it will idle? Or that it just turns over? I would check for spark, fuel and air, in addition to voltage testing the battery while it is cranking to ensure it can handle the amperage of the starter in addition to the TCI and fuel injection systems. Even if new, the battery can be improperly broken in (not charged before install) or defected.

·
just getting my bike on
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say run, do you mean it will idle? Or that it just turns over? I would check for spark, fuel and air, in addition to voltage testing the battery while it is cranking to ensure it can handle the amperage of the starter in addition to the TCI and fuel injection systems. Even if new, the battery can be improperly broken in (not charged before install) or defected.
So the bike will turn over and the motor will run but only while the starter is engaging. As soon as I let the starter go it will shut off.

I am wondering if there is an issue with the plugs since they were just serviced. It was fine when I took it home from the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That’s a good place to start! The best way to test for spark is to use an inline spark tester and set the gap to the factory setting, usually around 6mm. The tester must be grounded and if you see spark at 6mm then you know the coils are functioning. A spark plug will typically be visibly fouled, but if you want to test the spark plug itself, just unthread it and ground it to one of the valve cover screws, but fuel will spray out of the spark plug hole unless you disable fuel.

If the plugs were ran mostly at start up temperatures and rich mapping they most likely will not heat up to the self cleaning point and could be fouled, even with modern fuel injection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check the air box also while you’re in there. I’ve had a buddy leave a towel in his rm250 airbox and we went 2+ hours up north to ride and we couldn’t figure it out at the trail lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts