Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I hit the switch and the engine fires right away. Yesterday I noticed it cranked over a few extra times, but started.
Today, went to crank up the bike and NOTHING. Would crank over but not start. I kept trying until battery got weak and stopped.

Pulled battery charger out and charged it a bit. Cranked it over again and it fired...blew a few puffs of carbon
out and then cleaned up almost as if it was flooded.

Has anyone had this happen? This is a 100% stock bike with stock tune in it. After getting it started, let it run a few mins, then killed it
and it fired right up. Went on 75 mile trip and zero problems.

The only odd thing it was 89F yesterday and about 53F when I tried to crank it today, but with EFI wouldn't think that would matter.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
610 Posts
These things need a lot of spark. If you haven't maintained the battery, it might be time for a new one. Example, when I first bought my '15 Raven, I put a pigtail for a tender on it straight away. Coming up in January 2020 the battery will be 5 yrs old as it is the original one that came with the bike. With that said, it might die anytime. But I think I'm pretty satisfied with the life I got out of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts