Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, some of you have requested about a demonstration video on how to turn a bike around with the kickstand. (Original Post)

Method #1(Requested): CLICKY CLICKY! ;)

Method #2(Alternative): CLICKY CLICKY! :crash

Personally, I prefer the "Alternative" method... :D

DISCLAIMER: Perform these tasks at your own risk! :sneaky

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
I use the kickstand method quite often....

The other method is just too bloody expensive !

·
Thriller
3,610 Posts
I wonder if anyone ever had thier kickstand break.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Actually the way the guy is doing method #1 in that video is unstable and SHAKY as hell.

Do it like this. Stand on the CLUTCH side of the bike.

Reach over to the THROTTLE side of the bike.

Use LEFT hand on the HANDLEBARS and RIGHT hand on the SUBFRAME.

PULL the bike towards you, so that its LEANING on the kicktstand AGAINST your body with BOTH wheels BARELY off the ground.

You only need the wheels a couple of inches off the ground. I usually swivel CLOCKWISE, because the rear wheel is the heaviest and closest to the ground. But it really doesnt matter..

The bike is alot more stable.. doing it this way..

its really not that hard people, you should be able to do it the 1st or 2nd try if someone shows you.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I think I'll just turn mine around manually. The kick stand bolt is not all that strong as mine broke off on my R6. It had nothing to do with spinning it on the stand (was actuall torquing it to spec before a track day), but it is still a pretty flimsy bolt...

- BA

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
Daekwan said:
its really not that hard people, you should be able to do it the 1st or 2nd try if someone shows you.
:iamwithst

The R1 could use a stronger kickstand though:yesnod

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darkangel said:
:iamwithst

The R1 could use a stronger kickstand though:yesnod
That's true. I donno why but Yamaha always uses a thinner/smaller stand than others, even the R6 comparing to other 600s.

:dunno

·
Can billy come out and play?
191 Posts
Ive always done it on the R1s, they tend to dig a hole in the asphalt in front of the house so I'm a little picky about where to do it now. I'm a little scared to do it on the duc, it has a aluminum kick stand.

Allen

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
I and all my friends have done it for as long as I can remember and I've never heard of kickstand breaking..

R1's and R6's an every other bike you can think of..

the duc with the aluminium stand may need some caution though..

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
I use method 1 but I rotate the oposite dirrection and dont lift the bike off the ground nearly that much :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
:yesnod I use basically the same method Daekwon described. But, I always put my foot just behind the kickstand for even more stablilty. Daekwon was right, though, the bike only needs to be an inch or two off the ground... no need to bring it that far up.

Be safe...

·
My R1 Eats Cell Phone Cagers
731 Posts
i do method 1, and i usually hold on to the back of the bike and lean it on my body a bit, or u could always do it like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 2, where he is sitting and just whipps it around by burnning out

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
PyRo R1 said:
i do method 1, and i usually hold on to the back of the bike and lean it on my body a bit, or u could always do it like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 2, where he is sitting and just whipps it around by burnning out
UMmmm method 2:dunno

1 - 20 of 23 Posts