Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL
I know im going to get major crap for this...but what the hell, I'm the one who started it.

Im a 19 year old male, working at Microsoft for the past 2 and a half years. Since that time, ive owned 3 cars: a Turbocharged GSR full stripped running 12.1 on street tires, a mitsubishi GSX running 11.2, and finally a 3000GT VR4 running around 11.4. All these cars were fun, and great for hauling crap around/picking up girls, but they just werent worth the price I was paying (4000 a year on the VR4s insurance, stolen hondas, etc etc) and all the maitenance. There are NO cars out there, off the lot, that I can buy and not eat a huge insurance payment, and still enjoy stock. So ive decided on getting a bike. Ive done alot of research, and am not a total asshole kid whos just going to go out and push the envelope. I have no tickets, and no accidents. Im a concervative and not reckless driver, who likes to have fun at 3am on empty roads, and the occasional freeway offramp. I want to get either an R6 or an R1...and everyone tells me I will outgrow the R6 within months (it would be an everyday rider, at least when its nice out) and should go for the R1. Im guessing the insurance is still going to be huge...but how bad? Buying the bike is no problem, but theres no way im not getting full coverage insurance (accidents DO happen, and I want to be covered in that case)

Go ahead and flame all you want. Ultimately the decision is mine, but I respect all oppinions (as long as they are not flagrantly rude)

Thanks guys

Alex

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
196 Posts
i think who ever told you..that you would out grow a R6 in months doesn't know how to ride. i had a yzf600r for my first bike and went to a brand new 929 the following year. i don't have that bike anymore, wrecked it doing a wheelie. its nice to have alittle more grunt on the street, glad i didn't get a 900 for my first bike, i would have killed myself for sure

· Premium Member
6,305 Posts
You'll kill yourself easier on the R1.. get the R6.. and go f-ckin' nuts on the mods to it. You seem to have the money.

Oh.. can you hire me at Microsoft? looking to move to the states and need a good "sponsor" for NSI :D hehe

.. back to subject.

I seriously don't think you can handle the R1 just yet. Since you do seem like the richer kind of guy.. why not do it correct and get some real riding experience. Start off with the R6. For real, you can do stunts (if you're looking for that) just as well as on the R1.. but you can probably beat some R1's with the R6 too.. especially in cornering.

I wanted the R6 or the R1 so bad before I started riding motorcycles but I couldn't afford any of them so I started out on a 250cc.. then a 400cc. then a 900cc and now the R1. Don't regret this at all. I'm not pretty fuckin' good at riding.. noticed that today after not having wheelied.. umh.. riding for several days (almost a week ago). that the wheelies.. umh.. corners were still a cake.
I'm getting real good. dammit. gotta brag some.. I was out riding wheelies on the highway today and took some turns doing 140mph in 4th gear.. leaning the R1 over bad just to take the turns is an umbelieveable feeling :rock I did it quite well a few times.. didn't get a single slapper either. Feels great!

Oh.. now after telling you that you probably want the R1. But I tell you.. you are gonna crash that R1.. I know it.. YOU know it.. but like you said.. you don't care of what others say.. and prolly don't care if you crash either. :crash

You probably won't end up crashing if you get yourself a smaller cc'ed bike with less power. Why the hell start out on the biggest and baddest out there?

· Baby Blue
197 Posts
If you have never ridden bikes get an old one and then upgrade after 6 months or a year. An old YZF or CBR are great for that. Take the MSF class. Even an R6 is a very fast bike for a begineer. Its has lots of power. You just need to learn the fundamentals of riding first before you get a liter bike. I rode dirt bikes for many years and decided my first bike would be an old YZF. That was more than enough power for me. After 3 years and 10,000 miles I decided to get the R1 because I had the fundamental riding skills to be able to handle it.

Its not just the bike. Its also learning to ride it in different situations. How to handle traffic, how to handle a dead animal right in your path, how to spot someone that is going to pull into your lane. You need to be aware of all those things, and you learn on the job so to speak.

Get a old bike to learn on first.

Just my 2-cents.
-Scott

· Full Time Post Whore
9,063 Posts
:no

ok, so you say that we will flame you and its your decision but you want our opinion..

so lets start...

Who cares where you work. I hate Microsoft :ugh I worked for them also long time ago and I hated it.

hhmmm

since I got that off my chest lets proceed...

if you buy a R1 for your first bike I would suggest you to have a friend in a pickup truck following you at all the times! because you are gonna wreck and you would need to haul the bike somehow...

Not that I wish you to wrack but people like you just have to understand that those bikes are not toys.

Oh insurance?

Well.. I am 26 years old male, and full coverage for me is a tiny bit over 7000 grand a year.

sorry to be a dick, but it seems to me like you are squid wannabe who doesn't know shit about bikes and wants to pose and will be a statistic waiting to happen.

Learn how to ride first and then think about getting R1...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mxxym: typical dick

Thanks for the replies to everyone else. Its true...a 600cc bike would serve me much better, considering the higher powerband, and the lower torque at medium RPMs, would help me keep it under control while I learned how to ride at lower speeds. Insurance would be a bit lower too.

Hey mxxym...thanks for being the odd man out and trying to *act* cool. You basically just made a fool out of yourself. Ive spent 3 years road racing my cars, and 2 years as a co-driver in SCCA clubrally and prorally events. My dad got me started, and I did the rest. I keep it on the track. Im not an idiot, and would never call a bike "a toy". Its about as far away from it as you can get. Thanks though.

And I got my job at MS because I worked my ass of in highschool to learn all that I could about software development. And I love it to death.

Keep the oppinions coming in, all advice is welcome.

· Il Padrino
1,981 Posts
Alex, by the tone of your message it seems you do know that an R1 is not a good bike for you. Honestly, for your learner bike, the R6 is way too much bike too. I bought my friend an old Ninja 250 and taught him the very basics, then he took theMSF course. After the course he rode the 250 for about a month and then he was ready for an R6 which he now has and rides VERY well.

Start with a small bike (no bigger than a 600) and LEARN HOW TO RIDE. You will not learn how to ride on a big bike. Value your safety and health and learn to walk before you run.

That aside, you will likely find full coverage for an R1 to run you around what you were paying for your cars... $3-4000. I'm 27 with 10 years of experience and when I bought my R1 most places wanted $2500-$4000, with a clean record.

· Full Time Post Whore
9,063 Posts
bikes are not cars man...

I am not trying to be a dick or anything dude.. its just we see so many people come here and say :" I never rode a bike but I want R1" WTF??? thats just asking for it man...then they end up dumping the bike or even worst! Read the post here titled "MY BOY GOT HIS R1" He was taking his time...and wanted to learn on R1...

I am no expert in riding at all... not even close, but I hear way to often about kids going all hot headed and end up in the hospital.

don't even start that car racing shit and think that it makes up for an experience.. IT DOES NOT MATTER!

so...you asked for advice, knew you would be flamed.. so here it was.. my advice...

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
get the R1 if you want...just show some respect and common sense, but you won't outgrow the power of an R6, just look at how quick they go in supersport racing.

· Catch me if you Can
246 Posts
age does not matter

I am also 19 and have a 2002 r1. But its not my first bike I had 2000 cbr f4,:rock And been ridding dirtbikes for a very long time now. The r1 was a huge step for me being that i am only 5 feet tall and 105 pounds. Everybody tells me that the bike drives its self and the front comes up really fast. :eek: But anyways Its the bike I always wanted and I dont care what my friends say there just jelous that i have one and they don't :finger as long as you ride responsiblely i dont think anything will go wrong. Ohh and sorry about the spelling its pretty late.:iamwithst

· Registered
7 Posts
Not to step on anyones toes here, but I had never been on a street bike in my life, and I learned on my cousins 2001 GSXR 750. I did grow up on dirt bikes, so I knew how to ride a motorcylce. Now I ride my cousins 750, and my other cousins CBR 929. (Both of which are there first bikes).

The only reason I do not have my 2002 R1 yet is I lost my job, and am looking for work.

I am 31 years old, have no desire to do stunts, or wheelies. I have no desire to ride 180. I am of the opinion that if you don't abuse the power, you can learn how to ride on an R1 just as well as an R6.

· Blue is the fastest color.
69 Posts
WA Motorcycle Endorsement

Dude, if you are planning on getting your WA endorsement I would suggest using a friend's bike, something other than the R1, cause you won't be able to make the U-turn on an R1. Slow speed turning radius is way too wide. I don't know if you completely fail the test for not doing the u-turn though so you may be ok. I'd advise you go for the R6 anyway. I started out on a '92 Honda Nighthawk 750. Nice standard bike and it was great for commuting from Everett to Northgate. From there I went to a Katana 750 and rode that for about 5 years. Next got a '93 900RR which I had for almost 2 years exactly and finally I have ended up with an R1. I don't regret taking this route at all, and it leaves something for you to look forward to. Hone your skills on a smaller bike and then move up to the R1.

· Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,161 Posts
Its ultimately your decision. I myself would go for a 600. I rode a '95 F3 for 3 years and loved it to death. Its a great bike to ride for a year or two before upgrading to the "ONE". But if you choose the R1, respect its power and get to learn the feel and handling of the bike. If you do this and take your time with it, you should be fine. BTW have you taken any safety classes? Good Luck

· You're so money!
78 Posts
Dravis,

I used to live near Tacoma and one of the smartest things I ever did was take the experienced rider course offered there in WA. Take the beginners course first, then the experienced because that course has saved my life more than a few times. After you get the courses taken start off on the R6 or any other 600 for that matter. I rode my Katana 600 for almost 8 years before I got my R1, I still love the Katana and anyone who tells you will outgrow a 600 is crazy, there is plenty of power there, same as with the R1. A bike is a bike when you start off so start small, hone your skills then go get the bad boy, I assure you, you wont be disappointed going this route, hope this helps.

· Registered
6 Posts
Dravis,

Just a humble brits pennies worth, DON'T DO IT!

You can be the worlds best racing car driver and have all the road skills and forward vision in the world. The moment you get on an R1 with no previous riding experience it suddenly all means SHIT.

I have driven many high performance road cars. Taken advanced road and track lessons, had skid pan training etc etc. It means nothing when your on two wheels.

I took a direct access course and went straight to a 600cc. It will still be physically faster than anything you have been on, and the sensation of speed will always be greater on a bike due to your exposure.

This leads me on to my final point (if you haven't given up yet) I'm a paramedic in the UK and I have seen many young guys leave the inside of their skulls on the roadside:confused: These were not accidents, there's no such thing! It was lack of judgement, experience, skill etc.

Take both mine and many other peoples advice, start on a 600 and have fun! It will still be a F*$king fast bike and will probably get you into all sorts of trouble, but perhaps not quite as soon as an R1 - who knows???

WHATEVER you decide - Enjoy:D

· whatever..
396 Posts
be very careful..

I think even an R6 would be too much!

start with like a 250cc or 500 max

first.

you must learn to walk before you can run...

oh! how much life insurance do you have?

so when you go it could come my way....

:D

· Registered
178 Posts
i will keep this short and sweet......

if you pay 4000 a year for an R1 at 19......you will be lucky....

i am 24 turning 25 and i was quoted at an average of 5500 a year....

but if you got the money and a need for speed......GO NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you do at Microsoft being that they hired you at the age of 17???????

i am just curious......

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.