Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
has anyone put a 190/55 on the R1?

I'm thinking of getting one before I head to Jenning's this weekend.. Wondering if anyone has any info..
im not sure about the 55 im running the 60 be prepared to do a little suspension changing being that its gonna raise the back some but not as bad as the 60 just keep an eye out on head shake!

·
One corner at a time...
494 Posts
I've recently switched to the 55 and I really like it. I needed tires in a pinch a couple weeks ago so I got ahold of used set for cheap and I had to put a 50 back on it. I didn't like it after running the 55 for a few months, I much rather have the 55. Both tires are BT-002 RS's too.

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
Did you happen to measure your axle from ground, before and after? Just wondering how much it raises the rear. After Monday, you can give us your thoughts on it.
Really thought about going Monday to Jennings too, guess I'll save my tires for 2Feb. This way I got an extra 400 bucks to put towards my wifes new bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you happen to measure your axle from ground, before and after? Just wondering how much it raises the rear. After Monday, you can give us your thoughts on it.
Really thought about going Monday to Jennings too, guess I'll save my tires for 2Feb. This way I got an extra 400 bucks to put towards my wifes new bike.

I'll give a report monday.. I know when I compared the 50 to the 55.. side by side in CycleGear.. there was about an inch difference.. so cut that in half.. It clears the swing are and hugger fine.. plenty of room..

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
u will be seeing me there too :thumbup !!!

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
I'll give a report monday.. I know when I compared the 50 to the 55.. side by side in CycleGear.. there was about an inch difference.. so cut that in half.. It clears the swing are and hugger fine.. plenty of room..

It's not something you can compare with them sitting side by side and guestimate. What is important is installed height, mounted on the rim, under the bike's weight.The bikes are very sensitive to change as well. If you were off a half a centimeter, it would be different.

Have fun at Jennings!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not something you can compare with them sitting side by side and guestimate. What is important is installed height, mounted on the rim, under the bike's weight.The bikes are very sensitive to change as well. If you were off a half a centimeter, it would be different.

Have fun at Jennings!

I agree.. that was just the on the shelf difference..

It fit nice.. plenty of clearence..

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 190/55 worked well... the bike wanted to turn is so easy.. I got a new 2ct up front before I went to Jenning's.. so, the R1 handled very nice..
+1...the bike wants to turn easier than 50 profile. Btw, i have 190/55 Corsa III and it's better than regular Corsa. however, i've never tried any other tires.

·
70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,384 Posts
Ive had the 2ct 190/55 on my 04 since sept and i gota say that i love them. The turn in is very smooth and easy, they feel very planted while on the gas upright and especially leaned over, the mileage is looking very good with 3k on them, and there seems to be alot more lean angle available compared to a 190/50 or a 180/55. Usually my strips are gone on the ride home from the mount just riding normal, but these things are beating me, its awesome, big thumbs up to this size finally being available. I think they've held out on these because even though they cost more than the other sizes, the performance and mileage combo cannot be beat here if your running a 6"+ wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.