Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1999 R1 and I think it has very good mid range power for that year bike. It bring the front end up with little effort when the power band hits in 1st or 2nd gear. Question is will the newer models have the same or better mid range torque? I am thinking of up grading to a newer model but still want a lot of mid range torque. I have read that the certain years have only top end power and little to no low - mid power. Which year models do u guys prefer and why?

·
CANCER SUCKS
2,196 Posts
04 and up wont have the torque of your 99 but do have a stronger mid to top pull. In 2000 they changed the gearing to mellow out that first and second gear punch but the engines are pretty much the same from 98-03 with the exception of FI in the 02-03.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
You can get the low and mid range on the '04 and up with a gearing change.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
That 98-99 is a very raw bike...really fun to ride...but harder to go faster around the track compared to the newer ones because of the midrange(highside king of it's day)....the newer R1s have a sick top end 04-and up...you do sacrifice a little midrange, but they make bikes better now, not worse soo....but the 98-99 R1 was and still is a great bike....

I came off an 06 gixxer 1000 before the 07 R1, and had Hondas and Suzukis before and just got the 07 R1, i am very happy with it so far....very smooth power band, and can't wait to take it to the track...:fork

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
I was thinking the same about a gearing change as well.
Why do u say I can get a good deal on the '04 and up...any problems with them I shpuld be aware of?

end of riding season is here for people. secondly, most people are looking for the newer design of the 07 and 08 so the 04-06s are being discared by many people for the " latest and greatest " R1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.