Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have a 99 Yamaha R1 which has been over heating. My dad and I have replaced the thermostat and many of the hoses as it appeared to be leaking coolant.
Yesterday we started it with out the fairings and work perfectly.
Today, we put all the fairings back on and took it for a test ride. The temperature shown on the cluster remained on ‘LO’ And finally after a long time it hit 40 (degrees Celsius) - and then eventually hit 44 when the fan kicked in lowing the temp. (Fan should be kicking in at 100. I suspect the temp is in fact 100 but the instrument is displaying the wrong temp)
After a ride the bike went back ‘LO’ but I also noticed the rev meter jumping around. Could this mean the cluster/instrument has gone?? Or could it be wiring??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could be bad temp sensor. What was the tach doing? That is how it shows codes. Unless it really was just dancing around randomly

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,090 Posts
I'm with vash. Check out the temp sensor. Should read 48-50 Ohms at 80C(176F) and 17-21 Ohms at 115C(239F). I'd also pull the big white connector at the front of the bike, clean it up and put in some dielectric grease. You should also clean the temp sensor, thermoswitch and ground connectors on the front right of the radiator. After getting the problem sorted, I'd replace your thermo switch(for radiator fan) with a Wells SW518. Fan will come on about 190F(88 C) instead of 220F(104C):

Engine Cooling Fan Switch Beck/Arnley 201-1382 fits 84-85 Honda Accord 1.8L-L4 | eBay~

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Vashtsdaytona - The Tacho is jumping but to certain numbers only which I would imagine would indicate fault codes. I will pay more attention to what it's stopping on tomorrow.
I did a quick google on fault codes - I only found three: 3000rpm / 7000rpm / 8000rpm - Im thinking it is 7000 rpm (exude related) which could be Improper Connection, Short Circuit or the Servomotor is locked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank Sharksawyer - Thats what i'll do first thing tomorrow morning.
Is the Temp Sensor something that usually stops working properly on a 99 R1?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I’ve checked the tacho this morning and it bounces to 7500 then 0 and repeats - any ideas?

·
4,090 Posts
3000 rpms: Throttle Position Sensor
7000 rpms: EXUP related
8000 rpms: fuel level indicator light

I would guess your EXUP before fuel level sensor. Here's a procedure on how to check it:

You can also check your fuel sensor. Should read 900 Ohms with gas and I think 0 Ohms empty.

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks heaps for all the help guys!
Sharksawyer; cleaned the temp sensor up, thermo switch and also found the earthing bolt was loose on the radiator which I tightened. Took it for a test ride and appeared to be registering temp as per normal!! 😁
Thanks for the link too - really clear to follow and will do today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep will do - looking online for one.

I took the bike for a longer ride today. I noticed the temp jump around a bit at first. For example, registering 50, 52, 57 then 45, 42, 40, ‘LO’ then 51 before settling around 57 and increasing evenly - I take it could be air in the system from filling the coolant?
later, the bike held 70ish when I stopped it gradually rose. Then held 80ish again after I stopped allowing it to idle for a while rose to 90ish and held. The weather today is about 16C with a cool breeze so I would have thought and liked to see the bike temp drop a bit while riding, ie 90ish down to 80ish.
(Sorry all numbers in degrees Celsius)
Does this sound normal and I’m just being a little sensitive?

·
4,090 Posts
I've had three 1st gen R1's and they all did the same thing. You'll see it jump around a bit after the thermostat opens and the cold and warm water mix. Looks like you're back in business!

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks mate.
At one point when I was topping up the coolant I noticed a small amount of coolant dripping from the base of my bike through from under the exhaust. While refilling a bit spilled over but worried it might be a leak from the water pump. Haven’t seen any further leak since cleaning up and running. But worried it might only leak when running and the system is under pressure except any traces of the leak would be burning up on the exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts