Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WREKLESS_031
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok finally i got the balls to clutch it up in second the on problem is when i release the clutch it won't come up ..ok i know what you are going to say next what rmp am i releaseing the cluthch at ..well about 6-7 grand and i am going about 50 so what am i doing wrong ..help me....

·
My R1 just Chills out
182 Posts
probably not doing the whole process smooth enough. It happens real quick ...gas /slip (with one finger...and should only be for like 1/3rd of a sec.)enough so that your revs will go fromsay 3000 rpms to 6-7000 rpms and when you release you gotta stay on the gas enough to keep it up (NOT FULL THOUGH) Hope this helps .....

·
Registered
166 Posts
pay attention to the road.... you dont need to know what rpm your at exactly......... just listen to the sound of your bike..... as for getting it off the ground you dont have to gas it super hard but dont roll on the throttle slowly........ try this since i know the R1 can power 2nd easy practice powering it up....... cause it'll take quiet alot of throttle to just on/off power up 2nd gear..... when you get that 2nd gear off the ground you'll get a sense of how much throttle it takes to get it up in 2nd gear( keep in mind you dont have to give that same amount of throttle to clutch it.... probably only 1/2-3/4 the amount you gave in the power up you can apply to the clutch method.)... you just need to pull in the clutch in so that it'll slip, once you hear it slip you can let go the clutch, keep on giving more gas as you let go the clutch..... you should be getting it off the ground in one day... riding them out will take practice but just take it easy one step at a time.

·
My R1 eats small pets
215 Posts
Its all about technique and practice man. You really don't even need to use the clutch. And since it /is/ harder on the bike to do so, I wouldn't reccomend it. When I first tried 2nd gear on my R1, I was having a lot of trouble getting the front end high enough to balance out. Slowly, overtime my technique just became more refined and now I can bring it up using nothing more than throttle. Though I still use the bounce method as it just makes for better wheelies.

I assume you have already mastered 1st gear, or you wouldn't have moved on to 2nd. Try bringing the revs to around 7K, standup on the bike, give it full throttle, and quickly release the throttle. At the same time you let of of the throttle, push down on the forks as hard as you can and go wide open throttle again. Pulling up as the bike begins to lift, if it doesn't come up high enough, push down on the forks as it drops back down, and repeat the proccess. Eventually the bike is going to bounce up.

After mastering that technique, the one I use now, is to simply standup very vigorously. You compress the suspension with your legs and as you stand up you give it a lot of throttle, comes up very smooth, and feels easier on the bike.

To bring it back down, I have also found it seems smoother and easier on the bike to apply gradual pressure on the rear brake. You can literally just gently place the front tire onto the ground.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I use one finger on the clutch pull it in and gas it with-in the same stroke. Just play with it starting around 45mph then clutch it up to around 6500-6700rpm. if it dose not come up just give it a little more gas on your next try. It kinda sounds like an indy car when you do it right. Just be SURE to ride in 2nd gear for a few sec. before you pop the clutch because you don't want to clutch 1st trust me I know!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hot Rod R1 said:
I use one finger on the clutch pull it in and gas it with-in the same stroke. Just play with it starting around 45mph then clutch it up to around 6500-6700rpm. if it dose not come up just give it a little more gas on your next try. It kinda sounds like an indy car when you do it right. Just be SURE to ride in 2nd gear for a few sec. before you pop the clutch because you don't want to clutch 1st trust me I know!!!
your gonna love clutching first eventually :rock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts