Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I once thought life was dull ?
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings ya'll. Just wanted to try an idea on for size and I am open to -all- opinions.

What do you think about going 2 up on the rear sprocket. I'd assume this would make more enjoyable torque down low for street use, but just how much would it affect the top end. I rarely see >155 mph (indicated) so, I'm not concerned with top speed by any means. I usually cruise in the 120-130 range on highways. and spend equal time in the Sierra twisties. I value rippin down city roads as much as carving up the mountains.

What are the pros and cons of plus 2 on the rear?

Thanks!

OOOps. Previous post said 2down, my bad, it's been a long day!

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I'm with you on the riding style, I don't think I need to be going 185 mph. I think I had my last R1 up to 163 (indicated) only once.

I was thinking of trying one down on the front first. ?? On my YZF 750, one down on the front was a big difference. much quicker ripping up the city streets. You really had to hold on tight.

·
Registered
326 Posts
:)

Step ahead of you.........I've already inquired with a few sprocket manufacturers for my coming '04. You many not lose as much top end as you think........my estimate is 3-4 mph. Sometimes gearing will help you achieve those last several hundred rpms'.......as long as horsepower is there. Works the other way too.........busas were tested to achieve greater top speed going down a few teeth, result??..........slower top speed, the motor just didn't have the steam to pull the rpms required with fewer teeth. Combination is everything!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts